Should Spike Lee be charged with attempted murder?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tripace, Mar 30, 2012.

1. hmm..laws related to screaming "FIRE" in a public place would apply it seems...

oh well...Lee will play the 'race card' if the law tries to go after him for this.:cool:

2. I think he should be charged with something especially if something had happened to that elderly couple, even if it doesn't necessarily stick it would create a big enough stink that it would discourage people from doing that kind of shit again. Wasn't that elderly couple Jewish? Charge him with a hate crime, oh wait can black people even be charged with hate crimes?

3. He shouldn't be charged with anything because he didn't do anything that was illegal, technically. I'm not sure if it's actually a legal violation of someone's privacy to tweet their address, but either way he's still not criminally responsible for anything that may have happened to that couple, that would fall to the people who actually did something to them. Damned shitty and irresponsible of him though, not to mention the fact that he got the address wrong makes him look like a huge idiot on top of it.

On a different note hate crime legislation is inherently racist since it seperates races under the law, but that discussion would need it's own thread.

4. #24 Tripace, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
    Since you say that, would you also argue that the new black panther party putting the bounty up aren't doing anything illegal, also because that would fall onto the one who claims said bounty?

Actually, I say they both are doing something illegal, the bounty, would be the same thing as hiring a hitman to kill someone, or, in the case of bringing him alive, to kidnap someone, so, it's definitely illegal.
    And Spike Lee, at the very least is an accessory to the crime. I would argue that a driver for a bank robbery getaway isn't doing anything illegal, except that they invented the legal loophole of accessory for just that thing, and Spike Lee is definitely at least guilty of that...

5. Attempted murder is what an over zealous prosecutor would charge him with then to plea him down to the charge he should have received in the first place being reckless endangerment.

Reckless endangerment is a crime consisting of acts that create a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. The accused person isn't required to intend the resulting or potential harm, but must have acted in a way that showed a disregard for the foreseeable consequences of the actions.Reckless Endangerment Law & Legal Definition

6. #26 TheDankery, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
    The New Black Panther Party offered a bounty for the capture of Zimmerman.

Spike Lee merely tweeted an address. I do not believe he suggested that his followers should kidnap Zimmerman or commit a crime against him, as the Black Panthers explicitly did, unless I'm mistaken. Perhaps he wanted people to send flowers to the house. It would be impossible to prove that Spike wanted someone to murder Zimmerman because he tweeted what he thought was Zimmerman's address.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer) though.

7. No. Mostly because i don't care. I'm saying no because nobody deserves prison. Ship them off to Australia so they can form another new criminal civilization.

8. That's a lot different though, they're actually offering an incentive rather than just forwarding an address and facilitating actions that other people already want to take on their own. And no I don't believe it's illegal there for them to put up a bounty, but it's certainly illegal for anyone to cash in on it. Likewise lots of other people relayed the address, he's just getting attention for it cause he's actually famous, so to charge him you'd have to charge everyone else.

What he did was really shitty and irresponsible and I completely condemn it, but not every wrong in society should be punished legally. In practical terms you'd never establish attempted murder in court anyways, so it's moot.

He's still a huge dumb ass though, not even getting the right address.

9. He shouldn't be charged for this situation, what Spike Lee should be charged for is being a whiney little drama queen.

10. He is a professional troll.