should someone with high blood pressure try weed?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheCokeBaron, Sep 24, 2010.

1. I mean, would it be all right in terms of safety? My dad was curious on how weed is so I said i'd get some for him. He has elevated blood pressure and he takes meds for it, like beta-blockers I think, on a daily basis now for years. He can drink coffee just fine and he smokes from time to time (cigarettes) and all that, but would it be okay for him to try a few puffs? Worst case is I don't want him freaking out over the increased heart rate and panicking.

2. My uncle has high blood pressure, and he smokes every day. I'm sure he will be fine. I remember reading something about marijuana helping with high blood pressure, but I can't remember where I saw it.

3. Be careful about it. Weed does have a minor effect on my blood pressure and I've been a high bp sufferer for a while.

It doesn't mess with it too much if I smoke casual (2-3 times per week), but I notice a difference if I smoke a lot (5-7 times a week). I've smoked cigarettes in my life, and alcohol, and these both affect it FAR more, but even just smoking weed will sometimes cause my BP to reach higher levels for a little while.

I can't figure out if it's the marijuana, or the fact that I mostly eat like crap when I do smoke. I mean, "Yes, I would like 20 chicken mcnuggets, and...oh sauce....Ranch and Honey Mustard Please" are not words I would often utter if I wasn't high. But I do when I'm high.

So I dunno, I think it will affect your blood pressure, if you let it.

Edit: I'm an army medic, so I do monitor these things a bit.

4. im gonna throw hemp oil out there to the op's dad. just a thought.

5. Oh plus, with all the new ways of ingesting it....Ie bakery goods, vaporizers, etc.

I've only ever smoked. And I think the act of smoking in and of itself, is unhealthy for me. Which, it is. But more because of my horrid smoking cigarettes habit than anything else.

Have him eat something baked with it in it. It tends to be better as an older person to eat it than smoke it anyway.

6. Yeah Ive read before that marijuana use can be beneficially to those with high blood pressure, check out Granny's List to read more on it.

7. DEFINITELY WORKS FOR ME ....off my pressure prescriptions for 4 months now.

I have been taking 3 different medications for over 20 years.

Now after vaporizing a half a gram of marijuana every nite for one year, I can safely say I will never have to go back to pills to control my blood pressure:hello:

I believe there is a cover up by the drug companies to not let this out, because marijuana works better with far less side effects than their products and would put some of them out of business. :yay:

8. Yes and no.

I'm a medic in the army, and student in higher medicine.

Believe it if you you choose.

Ultimately, marijuana does not raise BP much, unless you smoke a shit ton. Causes light lung damage, which causes BP to rise.

Generally MJ is anti-inflammation for most organs. Ie....actually in theory will lower BP.

But depends on how it's used.

Generally, as a rule, weed will not "hurt" anyone. Not physically, at least.

To answer your question directly, given his case, no...a few puffs will not cause problems....

9. It always lowers my blood pressure 20 pts within 30 min. It lowered my friends pressure from 200x104 to 115x88 within 90 min.

10. Good answer.

Go ask Granny, she will feed your head. :smoke:

11. If I'm not mistaken, with moderate usage, weed will actually lower your heart rate slightly, and moreso when you use it. I'm not sure what effect an edible would have instead of inhalation, but I assume it's even better.

12. This is from Granny Storm Crows List;
    :hello:

BLOOD PRESSURE

Reduction by Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol in the blood pressure of hypertensive rats bearing regenerated adrenal glands (full - 1973)
    Reduttion by

Cannabinoids. II. Cardiovascular Effects (full - 1980)
    Sign In

Effect of marihuana on intraocular and blood pressure in glaucoma (full - 1980)
    Effect of marihuana on intraocular and blood pressure in glaucoma

Glaucoma, hypertension, and marijuana. (full - 1982)
    Glaucoma, hypertension, and marijuana.

Anandamide and delta 9-THC dilation of cerebral arterioles is blocked by indomethacin (abst - 1995)
    Anandamide and delta 9-THC dilation of cerebral arterioles is blocked by indomethacin -- Ellis et al. 269 (6): H1859 -- AJP - Heart and Circulatory Physiology

Cannabinoid-Induced Hypotension and Bradycardia in Rats Is Mediated by CB1-Like Cannabinoid Receptors (full - 1997)
    Cannabinoid-Induced Hypotension and Bradycardia in Rats Is Mediated by CB1-Like Cannabinoid Receptors

Body's 'cannabis' could hold blood pressure key (news - 1998)
    UKCIA

Endocannabinoids and Vascular Function (full - 2000)
    Endocannabinoids and Vascular Function

Endogenous cannabinoids mediate hypotension after experimental myocardial infarction (full - 2001)
    Endogenous cannabinoids mediate hypotension after experimental myocardial infarction -- Wagner et al. 38 (7): 2048 -- Journal of the American College of Cardiology

Cardiovascular Effects of Cannabis (news- 2003?)
    Cardiovascular Effects of Cannabis

Endocannabinoids Acting at Cannabinoid-1 Receptors Regulate Cardiovascular Function in Hypertension (full - 2004)
    Endocannabinoids Acting at Cannabinoid-1 Receptors Regulate Cardiovascular Function in Hypertension

Blood pressure regulation by endocannabinoids and their receptors
    (full - 2005)
    Blood pressure regulation by endocannabinoids and their receptors

Cardiovascular Pharmacology of Cannabinoids (full - 2005)
    Cardiovascular Pharmacology of Cannabinoids

Influence of Anandamide, the Endogenous Agonist of Cannabinoid Receptors on the Circulatory System (abst - 2005)
    Influence of Anandamide, the Endogenous Agonist of Cannabinoid Receptors on the Circulatory System - Medical Journals - Healia

Further Characterization of the Time-Dependent Vascular Effects of Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (full - 2006)
    Further Characterization of the Time-Dependent Vascular Effects of

Lowering Of Blood Pressure Achieved Through Use Of Hashish-Like Drug
    (news - 2006)
    Lowering Of Blood Pressure Achieved Through Use Of Hashish-like Drug

Cannabis to lower blood pressure! (news - 2006)
    Cannabis to lower blood pressure!

The in vitro and in vivo cardiovascular effects of {Delta}9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in rats made hypertensive by chronic inhibition of nitric oxide synthase.
    (full - 2007)
    The in Vitro and in Vivo Cardiovascular Effects of

Cardiovascular effects of cannabinoids in conscious spontaneously hypertensive rats (full - 2007)
    Cardiovascular effects of cannabinoids in conscious spontaneously hypertensive rats

Acute hypertension reveals depressor and vasodilator effects of cannabinoids in conscious rats (full - 2008)
    Acute hypertension reveals depressor and vasodilator effects of cannabinoids in conscious rats

Modulation of the Endocannabinoid System in Cardiovascular Disease
    (full - 2008)
    Modulation of the Endocannabinoid System in Cardiovascular Disease

Endocannabinoids, blood pressure and the human heart. (full - 2008).
    Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

13. Curious if these results were from the vaporizer or from actual smoking (bong, pipe, j, etc...)?

14. I dont really see much of a change in my BP when I smoke

15. Has anyone actually taken their BP before and after smoking?

I personally have not, but it's worth looking into. I work in a medical field....so I might just borrow a BP cuff and Stethoscope and study it a bit on myself.

16. How about pulse?

17. Is your friend seeing a doctor about his BP? I'm an EMT and 200/104 is way high.