should police be able to carry guns at all times

Discussion in 'Politics' started by munchymeiser900, Sep 14, 2012.

1. I don't believe they should always have guns on them. I think they should be trained to use less deadly weapns and keep handguns incase they are really needed. They scare the fuck out of me when I'm not even doing anything because they they know how much power they have. Anyways I think that people should still be able to carry guns for their protectin and police can go pick them up only when shit goes down.

2. Funny story about today..

I was walking around my complex earlier today on my way to the gym and I ended up walking across a group of young, middle aged males (7) aged 27-30 standing in a circle talking.. As I was walking by, another gentleman appeared exiting his vehicle and made his way towards the group directly in front of me.. he had a pistol strapped to his leg. No joke,.. I looked around and saw a tricked out dodge charger with police bumpers and tinted glass.. his license plate was CA "exempt".. then I looked to the left and say another police exempt ford undercover vehicle..

I live in a condo complex with alot of kids running around.. and this wasnt an operation, it was a gathering of some sort for a reason I do not know.

Initially I was upset because it was the early evening and he had a non-concealed weapon in public with children present.. ugh.. one more day in the life of the CA police state.

3. All citizens should be able to carry open all the time, regardless of kids, kids should be taught gun safety, I think it would be invaluable if taught in schools, maybe when they are about 11 or 12, old enough to appreciate that it is not a toy, but still young enough to learn with an open mind. Maybe taught to fire a small ammunition, say a .22, which is what I learned to shoot in the scouts at that age.

4. Damnit Tripace cant a brother tell his scary establishment controlled gun story without elevating the level of conversation to a level which many dont comprehend!

Dont forget, im an ex democrat who used to be for gun control but now understand the importance of gun laws.. I dont want to see guns everywhere! But sadly, on certain levels I agree with you. In my perfect libertarian utopia I would live in a state with truly just and decent laws.

5. If I can't CC or OC then off-duty police should not be allowed to either. Badges don't grant extra rights. Police are just as fallible as regular citizens, perhaps even more so since there is such a high rate of alcoholism and steroid abuse in their occupation. I would gladly pay for what ever stafety and marksman training government required to carry. In my state, the gun laws were written in the 1970's we only have the right to KEEP arms but not BEAR them. There is a grassroots 2A organization that is trying to change that as well as fight against other unconstitutional 2A laws.

Here is a prime example: Chatham police officer accused of leaving loaded handgun on Westfield street | NJ.com

Now, what would happen if a regular citizen did that? They would be facing multiple charges, as well have their firearm taken by the state.

6. If we outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. That doesn't bode well for a good society.

7. But that's the thing the law has guns and I don't trust them with them for the most part. They should keep them but be trained to not have to use them unless they seriously need them.

8. Yes police sshould have guns. They need to protect themselves and us.

We should have guns for the same reason.

Should we have cops? I don't think so, but assuming we do need cops, they would need guns.

9. Don't believe in State police, but as they are humans as well as I am, I believe they should be able to carry guns at all times too. However, I don't believe the State should pay for their guns.

10. [quote name='"HighMtnSkier"']If I can't CC or OC then off-duty police should not be allowed to either. Badges don't grant extra rights.[/quote]

Actually, they do. My dad is a CO and at least in New York his badge allows him to carry concealed. He already has his pistol permit though obviously.

11. [quote name='"Megacosm"']

Actually, they do. My dad is a CO and at least in New York his badge allows him to carry concealed. He already has his pistol permit though obviously.[/quote]

I think he meant that it shouldn't be that way not that it isnt

12. [quote name='"HighMtnSkier"']If I can't CC or OC then off-duty police should not be allowed to either. Badges don't grant extra rights. Police are just as fallible as regular citizens, perhaps even more so since there is such a high rate of alcoholism and steroid abuse in their occupation. I would gladly pay for what ever stafety and marksman training government required to carry. In my state, the gun laws were written in the 1970's we only have the right to KEEP arms but not BEAR them. There is a grassroots 2A organization that is trying to change that as well as fight against other unconstitutional 2A laws.

Here is a prime example: Chatham police officer accused of leaving loaded handgun on Westfield street | NJ.com

Now, what would happen if a regular citizen did that? They would be facing multiple charges, as well have their firearm taken by the state.[/quote]

I know what you mean about cops being more fallible than ordinary citizens. A year or so ago I went to go disc golf with my friends. About half way to the first tee (its about 300 yards from the pro shop along the actual golf course) I come across a Glock just lying in the cart path. So I just picked it up and brought it to the dude in the pro shop. About a week later I go back to play some more frolf and the dude in the pro shop started to tell me about how that Glock I found was a cops. Mind you this isn't an uppity golf course, this is a red neck golf course that is shitty but has a bad ass frolf course in the woods and along multiple creeks.

13. Would anyone listen to a cop without a gun? In my Criminal Justice class we learned that the main use for all police's weapons are deterrents. Without deterrents we will have more thieves and thugs get away and crimes become rampant.

Can you see the story now. Robber holds conveniance store-clerk up at gunpoint. An officer on the beat, having only non-lethal weapons notices the ordeal and confronts the man. The mug not going down, shoots the cop then the storeclerk because he may think he could take advantage of the situation. (Assuming we had stricter gun control, even on civilian ownership) Takes the money and runs. 2 dead innocents and likely another incident to happen later are caused by this stupid decision.

This kind of policy has the same logic Governor Dukakis's decision did when he pardoned Willie Horton.

14. All the more reason for people to have guns. Had someone had a gun in that store that mugger would have been stopped. Hell imagine a guy run in a store to rob it and EVERYONE just pulls out a pistol. He'd drop the gun and run off. A cop wouldn't even be there because you have to call them AFTER you get robbed. Police= ineffecient gun ownership= affectice

15. Well what can one do, because my scenario is in an urban environment (hence the cop being so close-by) where it is likely civillian ownership of guns is not allowed. Its all enablers for crimes to happen. That unarmed officer was likely his only means to survive the night, and even he couldn't stop that. Because criminals are going to ascertain firearms regardless.

Like honestly if I were on the campus though with gun ownership descriminated dorms in Colorado. Even if I didn't have a registered gun, I would still opt to be in the gun dorms. Why? It would be the safest dorms on the planet! Anybody tried any funny business in there, thieves, rampages, fights... It would be resolved quicker then any campus P.D. could resolve it. Libs like to think just because the masses have weapons means were all going to lose our heads about it and have pissing contests. With bullets.

16. #16 Dannyscott, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
    Well I won't exactly say where and what I'm doing now, but I lived in Virginia where you could ride and have a gun in the car as long as its visible. Kept an 1100 in the back and a Tokarev TT-33 my uncle took from a dead Viet Cong captain, all in plain view. Which was entirely legal, long as they were unloaded and registered in my name. Which they were. So no real gun control on us civilians there :)

But that said not everywhere. Because A lot of Chicago, New Jersey, California residents etc.. etc.. in those areas cannot do the same. Which I believe is a violation of their civil liberties. Of course an officer has every right to check said firearms as a public safety measure. But once again the motif is law-abiding citizens have to nothing to fear except the actions of those elected in congress.