Should Media Bias Be Illegal?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tastyblunt7, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Yea i get freedom of press and all but media bias, especially in America is in a sense, Brainwash. People are fed lies and mislead all the time and people who control the media continue to use it for their political advantage. Im talking about big media where people are (or should) be getting 100% unbiased information. Ive found some websites that are written by independent journalists and you can really tell the difference in the articles written. Once you compare and independent journalists article next to something from Fox or BBC or whatever there is a real difference 

People seem to think that news that goes against there opinion is biases though. There should be an organization that fact checks and inspects the big 5 news media outlets for biases and propaganda.\\\\

Any this was just random shit on my mind while i coming down.

2. Iv got 8 words for ya, "Alternative Media Television", they fact check and recieve intel direct from indepenent journalists,

Turn your tv into an aquarium or something!

3. or you could just use the internet for news

maybe we should have a "public option" for news that competes in the same industry as FOX and CNN.

that way, every private news company will be forced to perform at least on par with the government owned not for profit company.

every source of information is inherently biased

obscure sources are MORE biased not less.

even if you conduct your own research, you can not escape from your own biases.

5. So make all news illegal?.......................

6. No, because we have the declaration and bias is what forms opinions.  Maybe not the most solid opinions at times, but it still has a purpose. 

i think op is refering to when people try to sell you their opinions as facts.

word, didnt' even read the post.

9. 2 words-

Secret Agendas

10. Impossible, but thats what reading comprehension is for

11. #11 himan235, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
    News is no longer for news its about projecting your career and company. Its ALL TABLOID JOURNALISM. These companies are just that- media companies selling a product.......News!.  Pretty much 90% of the news is owned by one or two major media companies. You will never find truth in major news media they just spoon feeding their journalists to spin their webs and make a story for promise of career advancement. 
    News stories used to be reported for 10 minutes or more with in depth coverage where a reporter actually did research and told the truth, now you get 1 minute of lies and sensational inquiries on a problem. Since no news reports good things anymore its all bad shit used to cuddle emotions for brainwashing. Journalists used to be held with high regard. Now they just are all liars and spew bullshit.

12. I think unbiased media IS possible. I wish I had some headline examples of unbiased news from the top of my head though...

13. Its not possible to make and enforce its illegality though.

And its a fairly silly notion anyway even if you could. Do we really need to idiot proof the whole world because people dont know how to properly gather information?

14. The problem is our soft squishy world is gullibility and sheep will not question what they are told or take the time to rationalize what was said to them 

15. Oh I forgot Fruitality is on the outside lookin' in, he knows all, his biased opinion on biased news portals can infact be trusted.

All hail Fruitality.

.....Lmao neophyte, at best.

16. Too much gray areaSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. Media bias is nothing new.  Sure, the mediums have changed (TV network 'news' being the worst since it's like being tube-fed mind/soul poison) -- but it's been around for as long as those pulling the strings (or shouting the loudest) have wanted to influence and direct public opinion.  As much as I'd like to see it, I think the goal of a bias-free media is unrealistic.

A more feasible approach, particularly in this age of information overload, would be to better educate people about how to best interpret and analyze the things we absorb through the media.  Checking and assessing sources, taking the time to engage in critical thinking, consulting reasonable sources that tend to challenge our own personal biases, and learning the many insidious tactics the media uses to manipulate audiences are a step in the right direction.  I don't know how we would accomplish that for the older generations (particularly folks who are insular and narrow-minded), but any school that incorporates this stuff into their curriculum in an effective way is a benefit to society.