Should Marijuana Be Legalized? No

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Apr 10, 2001.

1. By Kimmy Schwarm
    Source: Register-Guard

Guess what would happen if marijuana were legalized. The next time you have cramps, a migraine or other chronic pain, your doctor might tell you to go smoke a joint.
    Instead of Aleve or Advil, you could enjoy the pleasures of what is now considered an illicit drug. The other day, I had an argument with my friends at school. We debated the advantages and disadvantages of legalizing marijuana. They are all strongly opinionated people, and I learned several facts from them.

One thing I learned is that marijuana does relieve pain and that it is not nearly as addictive as morphine. It can ease the nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy and, at the same time, give you a wonderful high.

Despite the positives, I am not convinced. There are so many other factors that need to be considered. Marijuana causes some parts of the brain - such as those governing the emotions, memory and judgment - to spin out of control.

Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is one of the main chemicals in marijuana. It attaches itself to receptors in the hippocampus (an area in the back of your brain). This part of the brain is responsible for short-term memory.

When THC arrives in this area, it inhibits new memories from forming and also can cause people to forget facts they have just learned. Also, THC influences the limbic system (the part of the brain responsible for emotions) and can cause attacks of hysteria and paranoia.

If you choose to ignore the attacks and memory loss, consider what marijuana can do to your lungs. Its smoke carries more tar and other particles than tobacco. You can relieve your migraine, but you also have a higher chance of developing lung cancer.

So far, there aren't any other safe, alternative ways to take marijuana.

THC attaches to certain other receptors in your brain, and when it is there, it blocks pain and nausea. Researchers recently discovered that the brain makes a chemical - anandamide - that attaches to the same receptors as THC. This discovery may lead to the development of medications that are chemically similar to THC, but less harmful. You could get the same results, but with no lung cancer or short-term memory loss.

Are there advantages to legalizing marijuana? I can't deny that the answer is yes. Do the benefits outweigh the side effects? No. We already have too many people high in our country. We don't need to prescribe it when there are other safe alternatives.

We are learning valuable information from research done on marijuana, research that some day may enable us to find chemicals that provide the same effects without the dangers.

Complete Title: The Great Debate: Should Marijuana Be Legalized? No: On Balance, Pass Up Grass

Kimmy Schwarm is a senior at Willamette High School.

Source: Register-Guard (OR)
    Author: Kimmy Schwarm
    Published: April 9, 2001
    Copyright: 2001 The Register-Guard

2. Kimmy Schwarm ,

You need to do a little more research in order to make those half truths full.

roach