Should legal age for recreational marijuana be 18 or 21?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by 2packush420, Jun 21, 2013.

1. 18...

I'm sick of this stupid ass countries and this 21 being the pinnacle of making adult decisions all of a sudden.

"Yes your son can goto war for our great country but he isn't responsible enough to drink alcohol,smoke legal marijuana". It's pure bullshit...they make as well just change the suffrage age to 21 or 20 then.

Being 21 doesn't make you anymore responsible...you can get kicked out your parents house at 18 and really be ass out on the street and have to support yourself according to the government.

2. #23 rizzo30, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
    I think you should have to be 18 to smoke weed.  You can legally smoke or chew tobacco when you are 18.  By law we allow you to smoke one substance which will kill you (tobacco), but we won't let them smoke a much less harmful substance (weed) until they turn 21?  That just does not make sense in my opinion.  If anything, the safer marijuana should be given to them when they are 18 and instead make them wait until 21 to be allowed to have the more harmful tobacco.

I don't totally agree with the 21  year old age limit for alcohol.  I think that america is just way too damn strict when it comes to that stuff.  We make it illegal for anyone to drink unless they are 21.  In other countries like Germany, beer is kind of like water.  Meaning kids can get it when they are 12 years old  (Maybe not quite that young, but you get the idea).  Our kids are not allowed to drink until they are 21 and in fact that is strictly forbidden in this country.  In Germany, kids are allowed to have a beer at the table with a meal and it is no big deal.  Here the cops would go nuts over that like they have a war to get to.  In the states we criminalize drinking if you are under age.  Because of that, kids in america are much more likely to binge drink while kids in places such as Germany would maybe have one at the table and be good.  You make it illegal and they will just want it even more.

3. I started smoking weed at 14. I graduated high school and became a biomed technician. The only thing having pot illegal did was increase my chances of having my life's work ruined by getting busted and tossed into a heartless system designed to punish harmless people. In the bigger picture as far as a tactic to help the legalization of MJ, more non commited voters may support legalization if the legal age of consumption was 21. On the other hand a country that has no problem sending it's 18 yr olds into battle, asking them to kill other humans should not be too upset when they come back home and want to illeviate their PTSD symptoms with a few puffs of some mellowing weed.

4. Great minds think alike

5. 18 as long as 18 is old enough to die in the military..otherwise, 21.

sorry kiddies...I'd raise it to 25 but 21 (for military, alcohol and tobacco as well) seems like a better compromise. :confused_2:

6. I'm from the UK so it seems nonsensical to me if you set the age of consent for anything above 18.

7. I have seen a bunch of immature 21 year olds as well. I have seen immature 45 year olds. Some people will remain immature forever while some grew out of it at 15. Age is just a number dude.

8. Agreed

9. I think our culture is to blame for why alot of Americans see 18 as being too immature..

The number of people who actually wait until 21 to consume alcohol has to be low as fuck.

Though on one hand..alcohol is poison..being as how so much money is made from alcohol I'm suprised this country didn't lower the age to the same as England...maybe it was to appease the religious groups I suppose. America likes to pretend that we were built on morals, and shit.

10. 21 seems the better age for legalization purposes, but 35 would be a safer age - darn kids these days! :laughing:

11. I think it should be 21 years old. As much as I would like it to be 18 years old, I just don't think that will happen as long as alcohol is 21 years and over.

-POMW

12. 21. kids are going to be kids, and they do stupid ass shit. Especially when stoned.

13. There obviously shouldn't be one. The more laws and restrictions, the more problems

it will probably be 21 since it would be saying something if it were to be legalized at a lower age than alcohol

14. here in israel i think it should be 21 because u join the army at 18 and its a 3 year service so from 21 i would say.... u dont want doped up soldiers protecting the country now do u ? lol

15. 18..hell you can join the military at 17 with parental consent...

I was in charge of billion dollar aircraft in the navy as an 18 yr old...but would've gotten kicked out if if my chain of command would've found out I was drinking before 21. The whole "no don't touch,your too young" culture of America is hurting us slowly IMO...

16. 18.if youre old enough to die for youre country then youre old enough to smoke or drink imo

17. I'm cool with that - 21 unless your 18+ with a military ID card. 

18. I respect the military, but people are people.

You are a legal ADULT at age 18.  You should be allowed to smoke weed.

19. Maybe you should, but you won't.  That's just the way it's going to be or it won't be at all.