Should I use this on my plants?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Cold Play, Mar 4, 2012.

1. I bought alot of things from my local hydro store, as a freebie i got this Better World: Complete plant nutrition pack.
    It is organic insect frass or droppings. I think it is kind of like earthworm castings.
    I have not been going organic and using chemical nutrients. If I used this tea would it be beneficial or a waste? Also can you get nute burn from products like this?

More product info: http://www.primenutrients.ca/

2. Save it for an organic grow

3. ???? Sounds like some bullshit not just bug shit

4. [quote name='"heretikhashhead"']???? Sounds like some bullshit not just bug shit[/quote]

Not really. I made a thread called incentive frass and Chuck said some pretty good things.

Think vermi wash

5. [quote name='"Cold Play"']I bought alot of things from my local hydro store, as a freebie i got this Better World: Complete plant nutrition pack.
    It is organic insect frass or droppings. I think it is kind of like earthworm castings.
    I have not been going organic and using chemical nutrients. If I used this tea would it be beneficial or a waste? Also can you get nute burn from products like this?

More product info: http://www.primenutrients.ca/

[/quote]

Use it in a soil mix. And why did you buy a bunch of stuff from the hydro store if your going organic??

6. #6 CommanderInReef, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
    Save it for an organic grow like Magiggle said. If anything will be burning your plants, it will be the chemical fertilizers. Additionally, they will most likely kill any beneficial microbial life said organic insect frass or droppings may introduce.

CIR

7. Most likely it is a waste of money in the sense that you can achieve the same results, organically, for cheaper.

As others have said, it would also be a waste if used with chemical salt fertilizers.

8. I work for Prime Nutrients Ltd. We make Better World Plant Food and your posts caught my attention. To address a couple of the questions posted above: 1) it won't burn your plants unless you use amounts FAR exceeding our recommended dosages; 2) it actually can be used with synths, and very successfully, adding to general plant vigour and resistance and noticeably increased flowering; 3) we'll have a hydro version of the product available later this year, but if you make your own teas/teabags with the Better World product available right now, you'll achieve very similar results to the hydro product.

The American Association of Plant Food Control Officials (AAPFCO) will be officially recognizing frass as a "valuable plant nutrient" this year. That should settle any controversy over its effectiveness. In the meantime, you received a free sample of a highly benevolent nutrient: why not try it?

9. Dirk

Why all the bullish*t on the web site - why does it have to be all this proprietary claims and other marketing maneuvers?

Here's what Frass is:
    Boo!

10. #10 WeeDroid, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    Welcome to the organics section of Grass City Dirk. :) Thanks for jumping in.

Increased flowering. A vague yet suggestive phrase. What does that mean exactly? More flowers? Bigger flowers? Longer flowering cycle?

General plant vigor and resistance (I assume you mean to pests and molds?) can also be had just by growing organically. There are a lot of organic inputs that can be utilized to help plant health in general.

Actually no it doesn't settle any controversy. Myself, I am not arguing that it isn't helpful, just that there are less expensive alternatives. Care to give a citation perhaps, for that AAPFCO recognition?

Oh wait, it isn't available yet, but we should all rush out and buy it? Given AAPFCO's apparent embracement of chemical fertilizers, I remain dubious without more information.

Again, citations are nice. :) In case anyone is curious.

http://www.aapfco.org/

On a cursory glance, they look like a support organization for the fertilizer industry. The petro-chemical fertilizer industry. Also known as not organic.

11. At $46.00 a liter (+/_) delivered, I'm going to continue to feed my worms crab meal and reap the benefits of my vermicompost. The science behind the frass makes sense, but the pricing makes nonsense from my humble perspective.

cheers,

chunk

12. BSF would give you all the frass you could possibly use but you wouldn't want to add that directly to the soil - either compost it or run it through a worm bin.

Lot cheaper than $45.00 a liter.......

13. #13 hope2toke, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012

can I grow in straight frass? like chicken compost? %100 manure goodness?

Also do you offer bulk pricing? for the interested commercial growers amoung us?

14. No cites for the AAPLCO. Adoption of the resolution to recognize frass will be ratified in either their spring or summer session this year. I only know this from speaking to their Secretary briefly last fall.

If you have another way to propose we market the product, in an easily understood manner, to the vast majority of people out there (as that is our primary market, the ecologically observant gardener), I'd be very interested in what you have to say. We're doing the best job that we can. It may not be perfect, but we are a tiny startup.

Regarding claims, we don't have hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to produce peer-reviewed science and marketing materials. So, we work within what state regulators will allow us to say about our product without calling in the label police and pulling us off the shelves. If you want some insight into what ethical companies have to deal with in labelling laws and restrictions, take a look at the Cali regulations here: CDFA > Inspection Services Division > FFLDRS > Fertilizer Materials Inspections Program

I guess that last thing is that you don't have to rush out and buy what we sell. You can certainly use other organic materials, in fact our testing indicates that the more invited to the party, the better the results. But if you do choose to try it, we're listed at Whole Foods, and will be beginning to ship to some stores this spring.

15. Cold Play to answer your questions a bit differently;

No I don't think you can burn plants with it, but as always, avoid using on seedlings unless you are very familiar with it. Unless you are planning to go fully organic, I wouldn't say using the frass would be a waste. More than likely it will help.

That said, if you stick around here, do your research and ask questions, we'll show you how to grow cheaply, organically and abundantly. :)

Oh! In regards to the free sample? The first one is always free. ;) Look how cheap oil and oil products use to be.

16. You got me to thinking......a BSF reactor fed entirely with dynamic accumulator plants.Supercharged frass.......at production rates. What do you think Lump? BSF love nitrogen and Symphytum officinale is going to be plentiful this year.

chunk

17. Sounds like a win-win set-up to me. Toss in some fish scraps and really enhance the profiles maybe? Kelp meal? Neem?

Interesting experiment and wouldn't cost much at all. Even the BSF larva are cheap and available.

18. I finally get why you are the medicine mod.

More like Green Alchemist to me. :)

That's a shit load of flies. :hide:

19. Dirk,

I'm from WA State and an hours drive from OR State. We're all to familiar with the "label police". They do serve a purpose, especially with the rampant mislabeling on the bottled goo we're so against but I'm also sensitive to the hardship they can cause a new startup.

I wish you and your company the very best in your entry into the competitive cannabis market.....truly. I do believe that frass is a serious amendment with potential.

Several of us here have reached a point in our quest to grow our meds that we try to be as self reliant/sufficient as possible which includes growing our own plants with which to feed our plants.

We're (for the most part) all worm wranglers and provide our own vermicompost. We have compost piles, we make botanical teas as well as aerated compost teas and even make our own miticides.

Again, as Weedroid said earlier, welcome to Grasscity. There is some pretty good information to be had here, and we hope you will stick around.

All the best,

chunk

20. Just to address a few of the observations above... the pricing reflects the costs of producing and introducing a new product to market. We'd love to sell if for less - if sales are strong, that may get expressed in lower prices down the road. We actually do offer bulk pricing - we have 10 and 20 litre pails on our website. We'll even cover the shipping on that if you ask. Producing your own frass, in large quantities, is interesting work. We encourage it - there is no need to buy products that you can make yourself. And you don't have to use only frass - there are many good organics out there - and they should all be promoted. Regarding burn, stick without our recommended rates and you'll not experience any issues. You can't plant in 100% frass - it's a nutrient, not a medium.

And as a by-the-way, can anyone explain to me why my posts aren't appearing on this thread?