Should I try growing?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Kid-Fox, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Ok so here's my problem...I have about 6 dark seeds ready to be germinated (got them from a dub) Now outside my window theirs a section of dirt in-between my house & my neighbors back yard (which they rarely ever use). It looks like an ok spot for maybe 2 plants but im the definition of n00b at growing...ive been reading a bit from the outdoor grow forums but still don't know if i should try to grow em, or if its even all that safe of an idea.

I could plant em in pots in my basement but atm i don't have any means of setting up a secure growing environment for the lil guys (if i do plant em outdoors & only plant 1 or 2 ill save the others for when i can plant em downstairs)

So i humbly ask you awesome GC growers your advice on whether i should grow em or not, as well as a small question, how long do seeds stay good enough to germinate & grow before they go bad, or if they even DO go bad...

Thanks in advance & happy tokin! :bongin:

2. Seeds can last a very long time in good conditions, dark dry place.

But I would have say since I can clearly see your in NYC which isnt Cali and honestly that is the only place its safe to grow outdoors in the US. Its not worth the risk for you and anyone else living with you.

You can go with a nice CFL set up, theres a guide to CFL's on this forum or the indoor growing I forget. They are cheap lights and they work pretty well, you just need about 4-5 per plant, but ofcourse the more the better.

You should read up and think about how you want to do your set up if you decided to go with indoors. You dont need much, but there are the neccesities like lights, pots, dirt, a fan and your area can not be too cold or hot, but there is a little more too.

Better start reading up, but like I said CFL set up is the direction you might want to go.

3. Thanks ^_^
    Ill take your advice & look into a CFL set-up in my basement.From what ive skimmed on the indoor boards I think I can manage planting 1 or 2 to start (given maybe a week or 2 to get everything I need)
    But there's one other thing that still worry's me...is there a way to tell if the seeds I have are female? Id love to start growing but i don't think id be to happy if my first try at growing turns out to yield no bud lol

4. That is why we determine the sex of the plants so we can weed out the males(no pun intended). After this you can clone your females and then from there on out you will always be guaranteed females, although plants can also go hermaphrodite if stressed or lighting cycles are messed with.

You can not tell if seeds are female or not, although some seed companys do sell "femanized", not sure how they do it exactly, although it can still be male sometimes.. Clones are the way to go once you have your female.

So also keep in mind you have 50/50 chances your couple seeds, so either go big until you can determine sex or go small and take more risk. Only thing is though you need to grow the plants all the way through your chosen vegging stage, because they dont start showing sex until a little while into the flowering light cycle, and then you can change it back if you wish to keep vegging. But also remember plants can doubel to tripple in size during flowering.

5. Mkay thanks ^_^
    I guess ill try the seeds out one by one till i get a female then, but as for clowning how do i go about that? Or its that a question better reserved for when ive read up more about it?

6. Well by all means do as many as you can but keep in mind, gotta grow them for a month or more which also means upgrading pots by then, and you still need the lighting regardless, but I think you should be good with 2. Chances you will end up with one female.

Cloning basically consist f cuttin a branch off that has growth nodes on it(so this growth can continue), and you want to do it at a 90 degree angle. There is a great easy guide on how to, all you need is something like some Rockwool cubes, some rooting gel and a humidty dome the plastic bag method. Deff check out the guide.

7. In the chance that I plant 2 & get 1 male 1 female is it wiser to get rid of the male for better bud production or just keep them apart & still grow the male?

8. the male is pretty pointless to grow unless you plant to try and pollinate your female.

9. Oh no you destroy the male, they yield crap, and with seeds and what not, not to mention they can polinate your female and mess that up, pollen can travel miles. The only things males are used for are pretty much either seed production I think and or breeding for sure.

10. Mkay good to know. Im not gonna ask the obvious questions of "how do i tell its male or female" cause i know its on the boards as well as a ton of other stuff that i wanna ask & know lol. But thats for the advice Suppa_K & Kaerus...If i can figure out a secure way to set up my basement im gonna start a grow journal...only prob now is figureing out how to set up the basement properly :( Oh well..nothing ventured nothing gained right? But im gonna quadruple check & cover my bases before even trying to grow...getting caught would suck SO much lol

Speaking of setting up a grow-spot..is there any place on the growing boards where i can either look into how to's about setting up a secure one, or possibly have ppl jude my basement & let me know how safe/smart it would be to try growing there?

11. Lots of people have their own grown journals posted where you can see the spots they grow in. Not to mention the section of this forum dedicated to Grow Boxes and construction of them. Depending on resources and money available you can get a wide variety of boxes/tents/chambers whatever. Your roll out some mylar and make a make shift tent to help contain light. I've seen a couple growers on here who have their plants out in the open basically not contained at all in a small area. I think it's going to ultimately boil down to preference.

Oh, but be sure to read about areas and how much lights specific watts are designed to handle

12. Thanks ^_^ Ill definatly look into the lights thing, ive already read a bit bout CFL lights. My concern though is not actually making a Grow Box but more of how big it will eventually have to get. I have a limited ammount of space to place the set up & thats why I ask if i should post pics for ppl to judge. I generally don't know how tall these guys will get & i don't want them exceeding the are where they can be kept hidden...Is it possible to keep the plant at a certain height? (id assume then that the plant grows out wide as opposed to tall?)

13. Genetics vary on the wide/tall part of a plant. Not to mention you could always use a lst method to make sure it bushes out instead of getting too tall.

You could try an autoflower strain some of the dwarf strains I think they are called. I read they aren't suppose to get that big at all really.

Seeing as how I'm am also trying to get ready to set up my own grow I don't have experience really to speak from. But I'm pretty sure the size of a typical plant is going to boil down to. Genetics. Container Size. Vegging Time.

14. Mkay thanks for the tips! Is there a guide on this Lst method? I hope im not asking to many questions that i could simply look up, cause i dont wanna be "that guy" who asks everyone instead of just trying to look for it lol
    (oh I gave you & Suppa_k +Rep cause you guys are helping me OD lol Thanks a ton!)

15. Your basement will be fine as long as if anyone is living with you that they know about it and are alright with it and will not tell ANYONE. The less people that know your growing pot the less chance you will get busted, same goes for gorwing and selling it. But basically growing for personal use, no one will ever know.

But if your trying to hide it from parents/room mates.. Well alot of people wont agree with you on that, but it also makes it alot harder and is over impossible. Growing marijuana involves lots of weird things, including smells, and god knows what else.

16. Well then that scraps my growing till i move out then. My folks don't know i toke in the first place so growing would be WAY to obvious & risky of a move..I should be moveing out in a few months though & my roommate-to-be is fine with it as long as i dont start selling it.So it looks like my garden is on hold atm unless there's some magic way to make kill the smell & make my parents avoid the basement altogether lmao

17. I'd recommend doing loads and loads of research until you start.

18. Yeah I plan on it..like most of the gudes on here say, read then re-read, prepare, read again & when you think your ready? Read 2 more times lol