Should I trim these bud leaves?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sabastian, May 23, 2012.

1. Greetings again to all. I am looking for opinions on whether to just trim the bud leaves in the picture or keep them on. They likely got that way from over growing the light, humidity and temp problems, and a bit of over nute recently (it drinks a gallon of water a day so it can jump on me if I miss a day). Plant is a wonderful Red Dragon in 41 days of flower now, clearly sativa strong (yeah!) but a bit too big for my room (see previous posts about Godzilla :D. Thank God I only grew one seed!

Anyway, would you keep these leaves or just cut them? I don't think they are serving any purpose all folded up, but that is why I ask!

Thanks as always.

Attached Files:

2. Bump... anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks!

3. I've seen most growers saying to take them off, but recently i saw a post about someone saying they serve as solar panels for the plant and give it growth, which makes sense. As you are almost done with the plant maybe you should take them, but I really get confused about this too so... Bump

4. Leave 'em. Only chop off the shriveled little suck leaves.

Or not. You wandered into a raging debate. Do a GC search for defoliation and prepare for the onslaught.

5. See I told you it wasn't a sure thing XD

6. Looks like you got the claw.. N deficiency I believe . Oh and do not cut the leaves ...

7. If you like, i rekon you should consider trimming one side of the plant, and leaving the other. by harvest time, you should be able to tell which method worked best for your situation.

I dont know if this will actually work. Though in theory, the more effective side of the plant (trimmed vs untrimmed) will grow larger buds. :)

This theory would be tested much more accurately with two plants, but one should be enough?

good luck :)

8. What did you do to this poor plant?! It looks on the verge of death. I would give it a good flush and don't feed anything for a while. I don't think that's a deficiency. People are way more likely too feed too much than not enough. I would trim the leaves that are more than 50% damaged. Which looks like all of them from the pic. Poor plant...

9. Whoops meant N toxicity

10. It's been awhile since I posted, but thanks. Ya, she got over nuted cause she drinks like a fish! This crazy plant would go through 1-2 gallons of water in 24hrs, which in turn would increase the levels so much she burned. I didn't catch on until too late, as in all my other grows I would just let it go down several days then refill, not wanting to delute things too much. In this case I let her go a couple days and paid the price. The plant however did fantanstic despite my screw ups, and has produced a huge amount (see pics). Since she ended up being more sativa than the kush she was crossed with, I have let her go 79 days so far in flower. I have decided to do my final flush starting today, following technofloras suggestion of 3 days of sugar daddy then two of plain water. I'm gonna do the last 2 days in total darkness, as my nephew got very good results from this as was suggested to him. He said the buds swelled up even more. This has been the very best plant I have ever grown, and very rewarding with a strong sativa high. Can't imagine what it would have been like under the careful eye of an expert, but I am learning and I've got one more Dragon seed! I may actually be harvesting a bit early, as the tricoms look more predominately clear than cloudy, but I think they will be ready by the end. Besides, I like the sativa head high much better than the couch lock indica or later harvested plants, so I should be good. The stuff I have quick dried over the past two weeks has been killer and psychodelic. This is one plant, in a normal bathroom shower tub stall, grown on 1 400w MH/HPS with 3 65w CFLs added to try and keep up. It reached the ceiling and outdistanced the light, and the buds got so heavy I had to keep stringing them up. The plant split so many times and grew the craziest stem, with one main stalk over an inch wide but flat. It had these little tiny branches that came off of it. I considered cutting them during the trimming phase, thinking they would do nothing, but they produced these rather large buds (2/3 palm of your hand) on these little sticks. Truly an amazing plant, wish I had a hundred more seeds just like this. Then again, I would need more room just to grow one of them right!
    Cheers!:hello:

Attached Files:

11. DAMN thats huge for an indoor grow also considering how small the pot is...

def. gone get a good yield out of that 1 plant ....

12. How long did that baby take to get that big ?

Im sure your vegged it for awhile...

13. Maybe you should take a few cuttings for clones?

14. It's a Barney's Farm Red Dragon. It is not supposed to get this big, but something was up with this plant from the beginning. It's very first leaves were all done in three's instead of two's, almost like it was one and a half plants mixed together. Then it did this crazy splitting thing and grew like a monster. I called it Godzilla! It is in a 6 gallon deep water system, and if I don't check it in 3 days it is almost dry. No way could I go on vacation for a week like i have with other two or three plant grows. At one point I almost couldn't raise the light up fast enough to keep from burning it.

Thought about getting clones just before I turned it, but I am not set up to keep them going. Seeds work well for me. I expect I will get double what I have ever gotten from the 2 and 3 plant grows I have done before. This is all just for personal and honestly some medicinal use (wife has serious back pain and we both work in an environment where we see what happens to people who get addicted to opiate pain meds... pot is MUCH safer!), so I don't weigh it or anything, nor am I perfect at curing (still learning the art). Last time I got 4.5 large spagetti jars full of bud from the two white widows I grew, one of which was a crap plant. I think I will be running out of jars with this Dragon girl. She's been fun; gonna be tough to cut her down! (but damn nice to smoke... well, we know what wins there!). Chop chop in 7 days!

I keep pretty good records. I vegged it 31 days. It has been in flower 79 days, making her 110 days old. It's been this tall for a long time... it couldn't go up anymore, so I had to try and tie it down

15. What 31 days vegg huh ? lol shocking .... Yes the branch structuring is akward ...

Hey it does the trick tho, I see massive buds on that ... it looks like its going to be

some nice smoke .. enjoy ...

16. Btw Im pretty sure thats ready for harvesting .... 3 months of flowering is enough .. also I heard the whole amber theory is fake.. you can harvest before the trichs are amber....

17. Better harvest when they are milky white XP

18. That thing is a monster.... I want one. Haha

19. Dang man is it sittin in the shower? If so thats a huge ass plant. What kinda light you use?

20. #20 Sabastian, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
    Greetings fellow farmers, I did not realize people were still commenting or having questions, so sorry for the delay. 420patient asked what kind of light: 400w convertable MH/HPS, having to add 3 65watt CFLs to try and keep up. I harvested on day 87, pretty long but I figured it was mostly sativa so it would take longer. As stated earlier I only vegged her 31 days, and it easily more than trippled in size from there. I cannot imagine what this plant would have done if I were an expert and had not over nuted her by letting the water go down too low.
    Anyway, I harvested her on the 4th of July. It took me 8 hours to cut all the fan leaves off, section and hang for drying. The crazy 1+ inch wide stem was hollow! It looked like it meant to split again but never did. I have no idea if other Red Dragons grow like this (I do have one more seed!) but a big shout out to Barney's Farms for this girl. It's a pretty heady high, kinda psychodelic, so keep that in mind.
    Enjoy, I am!

P.S. The full length pic is after I trimmed out all the fan leaves for curing. You can also look down near the bottom and see the mesh I was expecting to use for my "sea of green"... when I put the mesh in place the plant was just 6-12 inches max above the mesh (31 days veg)... needless to say the mesh became a moot point. I had to put support stings all over the place to keep it upright!

Attached Files: