Should I trim off the lower, newest, and smallest foliage?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SmokeMB, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Over the past week or so, a lot of smaller, newer foliage has sprouted near the very bottom of the branches. These are very small leaves, etc. Should I trim these, to help increase the future yield of the top branches and put the energy towards that area? The plant it still in Veg with some early pre-flowering characteristics being shown (numerous pistils sticking out now). I think I read that this technique is called lolipopping?

What are your thoughts? Looking for some experienced growers to answer, as well as anyone who has tried this technique.

2. yea, I definitely would.
    other people might not suggest it but it will be fine
    gets more nutes to the big and strong stuff up top maine.

3. I do also, aside from healthy fan leaves.

4. Thanks for the responses guys. Anyone else?

5. To be clear, I'm speaking of the small leaves right near the soil line.

[​IMG]

6. can't see where the soil meets the plant in the pic. might wanna hit that fence with some paint though.

7. Lol @ the fence comment. Its like a 100 year old fence, give her a break! ;-)

Anyways, those leaves are actually quite small, the close up makes them bigger. They are approx. maybe 8 inches above the soil? The main stem in the picture is just about to hit the soil line before it gets cut off. Again, the super close up makes things appear bigger. The leaves are on the smaller branches. Just don't want any popcorn nuggs.

8. yeah just trim them then, if it is not getting enough light anyway you are not going to get anything substantial from it, personally I would trim.