Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Should I tell my parents I smoke bud?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Stoner Buddha, Jul 22, 2013.

1. #1 Stoner Buddha, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
    I'm 18 and I've been smoking for about 2 years now. I feel like telling my mom I smoke pot, but I'm afraid of her reaction to it. Sometimes i feel like getting it out of my chest, I want to tell them, but i don't want to regret it later on if they start to doing drug test and stuff on me. Most of my cousins smoke weed and their parents are semi-okay with it.

2. #2 MrGoatington, Jul 22, 2013
    When I told my mom, she initially wasn't happy with it at all, but I convinced her otherwise with the facts and now it's all good. Definitely nice not having to hide it. You have to judge how you think your parents will react, before you do it. Everybody's parents react differently. If you think there's a higher chance they will react negatively towards it, or are not easily convinced with facts, it may not be worth it.

3. Typo sprry i'm on my shitty ipod

4. i think if you think it's appropriate. 

if you feel like getting it off your chest do it

if you don't want her to get disappointed you or something like that don't do it

5. Smoking in their house for 2 years means, either you are the last ninja left on earth or more likely..... They already know. Being lied to by your child does not make parents happy. Be open, if it is a huge deal for them then don't smoke til you are no longer living in their house or at the very least only do it elsewhere and leave your supplies someplace else as well. IMO of course.

6. Don't let your parents drug test you if you are 18. If they ask, just tell them.

7. I think I'll tell my mom first but I'll bring up a topic similiar to it. Like "What do you think of me smoking weed?" Or something like that. And i don't toke up in my house though i toke up in my neighbors house or at an empty lot close to my house. Any good links to have her read so I can try to convince her later on if i do tell her?

8. #8 Forked Up2, Jul 22, 2013
    Keep it to yourself your parents have ever enought shit. To deal with.  I have 3 kids so ya best answer...... Dad I smoke drugs! ....... Fuck off son and leave me alone I have been smoking drugs for 30 years!

9. I'm going to refer you to my pal Intuition, he lives inside of your heart

10. If you're 18 than yeah go for it if they're chill.

11. #11 Jmosley, Jul 22, 2013
    You probably won't change her view of weed with links or arguments about why it is illegal/legal problems being the biggest downfall of using/ or even the "it helps me personally" stance.

IMO just come out to her with a statement similar to "this is what I have been doing for 2 years, all the while keeping grades up and keeping up with my responsibilities" assuming that the statement is true of course, if its not true then maybe you are better off waiting to smoke until your responsibilities no longer affect them. After that then bring up, would you like me to provide you with some reading on the subject? Have it ready even if you wish, but I whole heatedly believe the "look at this article/study/blog post" tactic that so many people use isn't the way to change how we are viewed is counterproductive. Actions speak louder then words applies to the written word way more then the spoken word but neither compare to tangible proof.

12. This is a great idea, I never thought about it. I'm a highschool student and I already have 3 of the basics needed at my local college. Not even my sister who never sm

13. This is a great idea, I never thought about it. I'm a highschool student and I already have 3 of the basics needed at my local college with a B+ and an A-. Not even my sister who never smoked weed once in her life accomplished this. My other high school courses are fine I'm taking math one year ahead of people in my grade (college algebra) and i'm on the top 10% of my class. Hope this helps in my quest to convince her it ain't bad.

14. If that's true, I would use that 100% over what will just appear to her to be random studies and articles. Again just IMO I wouldn't even try to tie the smoking into it being how you deal with the stress of being overloaded in school just the basic and simple "it doesn't bring me down".

It is just a matter of viewing your habit as a crutch or viewing it as a recreational activity that you are capable of doing without harming yourself. Much like any after school activity, school sponsored sports included. Parents are generally fine with you having a life, so long as it doesn't screw up the actually important aspects of your life.

Obviously I don't know you, your folks or even the general attitude towards weed in your region. This is just the logic I use

15. I'll tell her when I have privacy woth her and me alone. I hate how my brothers are nosy and stuff. I'll post my outcome later on this week that's if i don't get grounded or something.

16. I've been smoking for about 9 months now.. I'm 18 too btw but anyways,

I decided that when I move out and get done with my studies I would tell them, because then they couldn't say "You got a bad grade because of weed" or some stupid comment like that and when I'm done with everything thing I can be like " I got my studies done, moved into a nice condo/house (whichever I can get), can keep a job, all while smoking weed and if you tell me any bullshit that it's bad for you it's a complete lie" Then I show them my over 11 page essay (at the moment.. WTP) on the history of weed, how cannabis was made illegal over racism, medicinal effects of weed, what hemp is and can be used for, ETC. 

Parent's minds = Blown.
    Me = Badass.  :cool:

Peace :hippie:

17. Hell yeah man you're 18 but just be respectful but if they attack then you gotta defend. They can't punish me this time. Not this time! I'm CEO,b****!

18. Helps if you know they smoked when they were younger, I came out to my mom about it the beginning of this month. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. When I told my mom, she initially wasn't happy with it at all,
    [​IMG]

20. #20 Keeper of Time, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    Better to tell them now so they can begin their journey of acceptance.