Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

should I tell my doctor I use marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by BearJew7, Jul 30, 2013.

1. #1 BearJew7, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2013
    Whenever I get my yearly physical, my doctor always asks me if I do any drugs such as marijuna.  I've only been a casual recreational marijuana user for a little over a year now, but I've never told my doctor.  Should I tell him?  Are there consequences to telling him or not telling him?  (increased insurance costs, legal issues?)

Overall I'm a very healthy person, eat well, exercise daily, normal blood tests, etc..  should I be compelled to inform my doctor of my personal drug use?

Thanks

EDIT: I'm only 20 I've always had a yearly physical/check up, mainly for my parents and my own "peace of mind," although we also get a "benifit" from our insurance by going yearly.  Whenever I use cannibis on my own I always vape, I dont consider myself a smoker although Ill occasionally smoke if I'm with a group of friends who all want to get high.  Also, I'm not in a medical marijuana state, although there is a possibility I will be going to grad school in one late next year :)

2. Well doctors have patient confidentiality so dovyou told him I'm pretty sure he couldn't do anything unles it was directly affecting anther person like say if you told him you killed bob down the road. If that makes sence

3. Is the physical for your peace of mind or is it job related?

4. Nope your doctor will not do anything. Doctor patient confidentiality.

5. Hell if your in a medical marijuana state he could even reccomend you for a card.

6. #6 Meursault, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
    Being honest about your drug use with your doctor can be really really fucking important. Some medications interact in ways that you would never expect, and especially when you're getting surgery you need to be really fucking truthful with your anesthesiologist because you may have a tolerance to what they're about to give you (yes, even with just weed) and you may need more or a different drug entirely so as to not wake up during your surgery. My anesthesiologist completely changed his plan last time I told him I smoked weed.

With that said, I don't see how it could really impact a yearly physical all that much (unless he ends up prescribing something for you,) but it really can't hurt you whatsoever to be honest with him. It can only help.

7. #7 BearJew7, Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys, I edited my original post to answer some of your questions.  No the physical is not for a job, its just for my parents and my own "peace of mind."  I'm not currently taking any medications.  From the sound of it, I might as well tell my doctor, but the only thing I'm worried about is if that goes on my medical record -- would that ultimately drive up my insurance rates?  Or is that information not available to insurance companies?

8. Nd they won't gice me my xanax .5 for anxiety I have soluch bad anxiety I pace back nd forth in my house. Nd have trouvle breathing from anxiety. But they won't gice me anything.

Just because I told them I smoke weed. And have take mushrooms. I've been in a drug induced psychosis I guess. They didn't tell me that. Hust to stop smoking weed. Sent me oyt the door and flagged me

9. You need to switch doctors than bro. If my doctor stopped giving me medication which I severely require I would drop him asap. Sounds like you have a horrible doctor imo.

10. YOU ARE SOOOO WRONG MAN!

DO NOT tell him unless its something he rec to you or give you script for.  It can stay in records for life. and soem will say ( ohh its private they cant tell anyone)  ummm if you EVER go for life and/or health insurance they MAKE you sign a paper to ALLOW them to look at medical recoreds!  and if you say no then they will deny or give you a shitt deal anyway.  I know this for a fact becaus eI was ina  car accident and went though LONG lawyer prosess and guess what ? the insurance companie brought up the fact i mentioned i smoked 2 joints when i was 15yrs old tomy DOC!!!  that is almost 15 years ago! 

DO NOT tell him if it is not needed man..

11. if they want to look and ask you of cours eit is. ANYTHING in your record is there for them to see.

12. Just make sure you let your local police department know that you have marijuana in your house.  They'll offer you extra protection.

13. ye sis can help and no it wont help him unles sEH IS GETTING NEW MEDICATION OR GETTIGN SERGERY!  even then you can just IMPLY it NOT state it as fact... you nee dot take care of your own health and research any drug given ON YROU OWN, NOT rely on docs...

14. What the fuck am I reading?

15. #15 Blergs, Jul 31, 2013
    yet last year is when i delt with insurance company...and they  saw it all... dude YOU are wrong and i know that for a fact!   maybeSOME types of insurance but you ever get into accident or go for have ANYTHING related ot insurance then you HAVE a risk.

they * ASK you to sign paper they dotn FORCE you!   but if you say no... then guess what... no law at giving you a shitty deal...
    you are right they cant demand it.... but if you say no, you are NO better off...

You are wrong and i assum bitte rbecause you talk yo your medical people too oppenly. I knwo this for fact thats why I am gettign so angry with this thread...  atleast in canada its like that. I am sure the US is not much different..

16. First of all....wtf did I just read?

Secondly, doing research on your own and relying on that is really retarded. Plain and simple. I used to be a pharmacologist. You are not going to get reliable info on the internet, there are no two ways about that. Sure, go ahead and do all the research you want on your own but if your doctor tells you something different than what you've read (if you can even read...) listen to that.

That is not to say that some doctors aren't retarded themselves and don't know what they're doing, but you definitely don't. 

17. one guy i knwo from us on anothe rforum deal with life insurance and they DO check...

18. That's simply not true. Any responsible doctor will give you the medication you need (which is not always the medication you WANT, mind you,) regardless of your personal history. In fact, I've very often seen it go in the other direction - where doctors really try to push opiates/opioids on addicts after a surgery who are determined not to use them whatsoever, for any reason, in fear of relapsing. 

19. I've told a few of my doctors. Mostly the ones that are keeping me alive.

However, I always start with this disclaimer. "What I'm going to tell you, does not go in my chart, does not get recorded in any form. This is doctor/patient confidentiality. I see you write in the chart, or find reference at a later date, we will discuss at that time."

Works, every time.

20. my doc knows i smoke cannabis and nothing bad has come of it