Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Should I tell my doctor about my marijuana use?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Tanface1220, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Chances are he doesn't care about your habit anyway. You're very likely not the first patient he had that smoked.

2. Medical records are confidential but there are exceptions that you should be aware of. Medical records can be used in court and what is contained within a medical record that is relevant to treatment is taken as fact by the court. If you tell your doctor that you smoke weed all day everyday and you are in a car accident, the medical record can be used to help prove that your impaired while driving. If you tell you doctor something in furtherance of treatment, there is no hearsay argument to keep it out of court. So be mindful of how you describe your use.

Also, as was said above, be mindful of what type of treatment you are seeking. If it's purely a diagnostic question, admission of your use makes more sense. If you need treatment for a condition that involves controlled substances, use more cation.

3. Yes.

I told my doctor about my marijuana use (told him it was to help me sleep) , he was cool about it. He actually asked if I needed any sleep meds and I said "nah, got all I need" and we laughed.

Anyways, doctor-patient confidentiality will have you covered.  It's good for the doc to know of any medication/drugs you are taking, including marijuana. Although I don't believe there are any drugs that react adversely with marijuana, it's still good that he knows.

4. Wow I just realized how old this thread is... haha

5. Tell him man. He can't say anything to anybody, except your parents if you're under 18, sounds like you're not though.

I don't care what people say, smoke is smoke, and its not good for your lungs. Goodluck man.

Sent from a pineapple under the sea.

6. Same. Who the hell dug this thing up?

Sent from a pineapple under the sea.

7. However, when you look at the evidence of strictly weed smokers to those of non-smokers, it's hard to determine whether or not "smoke is smoke". Evidence suggests that weed smokers have better lung capacity or the same lung capacity as non-smokers too, and no higher risk, if not a lower risk, of cancer as non smokers.

Bronchitis and throat irritation is a different story.

This guy I quoted above you.

9. Yep, it's an old thread however the subject is something that can't be stressed enough, let your Doc know you use Cannabis.

The most any decent Doc will tell you is that you are better off using a vape or cooking with it. At least that's what my three heart Docs have said.