Should I tell a potential employer im a felon?

Discussion in 'General' started by TinManThaBoyBoy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Ok so i really need a job.. im not a stranger to havin one.. ive basically had a steady job since i was 16. Now im a felon and for the past year ive been unemployed.. my question is should i let them know im a felon on the app? Ive been thinking of saying no or telling them i would explain during an interview if i got one. I just feel like since imma felon they wont even look at me or give me a chance, and if i dont tell them then at least they might give me a shot and i have an opportunity at making some legit money for me an mine..

I just need some opinions.. is it worth it? would it be beneficial? i know it might not be morally acceptable.. but neither is livin a life risking goin back to prison when i got a son to look out for..

2. What if they do a background check though? I think you have to be honest.

3. What you did in the past has nothing to do with the person you are now but face it if a employer has to choose between a felon and non-felon you know which way they will go with it..

Just say no, What's the worse that can happen? they find out and don't give you the job which they wouldn't of gave you anyway..

Little white lies never hurt anyone :p

4. yea i kno.. i meant to add that in my OP.

If they do a background check then they dont hire me anyway.. i dont lose anything.. if they do it after they hire me then they fire me and atleast i had a job for a minute and saved a little money.. ya know what im sayin?

5. Yeah that's true man, then lie because you can atleast get a month's pay check before they find out.

6. its just shitty.. you fuck up, get convicted.. do your time then they expect you to turn your life around, and not to sound cliche, but the mans holdin you down.. and thats the damn truth..

i cant get financial aid, cant get a job, plus where i live its not easy to find a job anyway, cant get accepted for an appartment.. so i mean i feel set up to fail..

7. The governments attempt at reforming people is so contradicting!
    Once your made a "felon" your rights are basically out the door
    They punish you, then send you back into society and your just expected to make it but by labeling a person as a criminal for a mistake made means they cant move on with their life leading to eventually that person doing whatever to takes to feed themselves/families.

just perpetuating the cycle sending people in and out of the system
    & they wonder why some cities are just ridden with crime, its unbelievable.

8. USA USA USA!! :laughing:

it is what it is.. i brought it on myself.. they dont make it any easier tho.. thats for damn sure..

any other opinions? any experience ?

9. dont do it they might not do a bg check in which case youll be good but even if they do just walk out. if its a min wage job they wont do it

10. only tell them you're a felon if they ask, most jobs that you apply for will tell you that they require a criminal background check.

If you lie, they could put that on your record somehow, not only are you a felon, but you lied about your felony.

11. yea thats another thing to take into consideration.. it wouldnt look good to future employers if they flagged me or someshit.. that would pretty much guarantee me not gettin a job.. idk man.. im just stuck right now.. im tired of livin the way im livin.. i needa get back on track but i just feel like i dont got a choice

12. I think that's something that you have to disclose. If you lie about it, they can fire you whenever they find out that you lied on your application. Don't just say yes on the application, you're going to have to explain what happened to have any chance at all. And there are some kinds of jobs that are completely legally out of the question (like anything that handles money, I think).

I know being a felon puts you at a real disadvantage, but good luck finding a decent job. It'll be worth the hassle when you don't have to worry about going back to jail.

13. but thats kinda my point..

like, if i tell them im a felon then they dont even give me a shot.. they dont hire me.. nothin..

if i dont tell them then they might give me a job.. then theres the possibility of them doing a background check and firing me.. but at least i gave myself a shot.. theres a possibility they wont find out anyway.. and if im with them for a while and im a good worker then they find out they might let it slide.. i doubt it , but you never know..

14. Depends what you did man, I was hired a year ago with a record. I said no on the app but during the interview I spoke with HR and fabricated my story a bit(you've done your punishment fuck morality in these situations) and told her what was going on and added some fancyshpancy sentences and god willing it worked. I'm sure the same can happen for you just never quit trying or you'll end up in prison again. Knock on wood.

15. Oh and on the background checks it's quite generic. They don't receive a police report with the details.

16. i got assault convictions but my latest felony conviction.. the one im on probation for now is all drug related..

17. I had an assault charge as well. Well kinda. I don't know the penal code. But my boy who works there has a domestic violence charge and was hired 7 years ago and has two dui's since.

18. I believe the big fat red X for employers is theft or embezzlement.

19. right i figured that much.. but i dont think drug charges are much better..

and embezzlement? haha im not john gotti, shittttt

20. Hahaha I have a "notorious" group of friends lol one has embezzlement because of fucking target so he's pretty much screwed until it gets wiped off his record lol. Life sucks man, time to move out of this country and start with a clean record and new identity haha.