Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Should I stop smoking or smoke less?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by DoplerDipler, Nov 25, 2018.

1. I love weed, I prefer to alcohol and I love all the benefits it gives me, there is one big negative issue though.
    I have no issues when I'm smoking but as soon as I stop for a T-break I get horrible withdrawal depression for a few weeks. It stops me in my tracks, I'm unable to really function efficiently while my body adjust to the lack of TCH.

I do suffer from clinical depression and OCD, I am on 20mg of citalopram, I also use CBD to help with anxiety and go to therapy when I need it. I feel that THC has helped me tremendously with my own personal issues, I'm able to think about things differently while high and have grown a lot as a person.

When I have cannabis I will about 0.2g-0.5g smoke every day, then usually take a break while I save up to get some more. I really don't want to stop all together but I know that it would be really unhealthy for me (and my wallet) to medicate every day.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I limit my cannabis intake only to the weekends or is that still going to give me withdrawal? Is it best for me to stop?

I know that cannabis effects everyone differently so I know that the best way for me to find out is to try, which I will do, however I would appreciate any advice on this.

thanks

2. Withdrawal for cannabis is psychical and ain't that hard indeed. You're probably having symptoms as feeling bored, sweating, can't stop thinking of weed and similar goes on. The worst symptoms are gone after just a few days.

In my opinion, if you're having withdrawal you obviously have "abused" it and it's time to quit or take a break. I can recommend that you do only smoke in the weekends, 2-3 joints max. Example one in the evening both friday, saturday and sunday. How does that sound?

If you do that, your tolerance will fall a lot and withdrawal will be gone. I'm sure of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. it's been a about 5 days, I think, and I'm still feeling the withdrawals.

I agree I abused it, given the fact that cannabis has no hangover like alcohol it's really easy for me to do so.
    My plan at the moment is to finish my 2/3 week break and then as you suggest, only use cannabis one or twice a week in small amounts.

While I love the benefits cannabis has on my mental health I think that I went overboard and messed up my brain cemistry a bit.
    If, after my break, I find myself unable to limit myself to only weekends then I think unfortunately I will have to quit altogether, which I really don't want to do, so I have an incentive to be responsible with it.

4. I would just smoke everyday

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. It'll take time to get used to your limited usage. But you'll get used to it and it'll definitely become more interesting when you smoke. Good luck!

Technically it would be the solution of the withdrawal issue. But withdrawal is a serious issue indeed. It's something that's best to get rid of as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I don't understand this "withdrawal" from cannabis.
    I am a daily smoker. I have been for probably 25 years.
    I just had a week long trip to Texas, during which I consumed zero cannabis.
    By all accounts I should have been peeling my skin off with anxiety and walking around like a zombie from witdrawal induced insomnia.
    But I didnt. And I wasn't.
    Because this "withdrawal" is all in your head.
    You don't go through physical withdrawal from THC because of the way we metabolize cannabinoids.
    It takes weeks or even months to rid your body of cannabinoids. If it's still in your system, how is it possible to withdraw from it?
    Alcohol is in your system for only a short time. People addicted to alcohol or any other drug won't go through withdrawal until the drug is out of your system. The body is or becomes chemically dependent on these drugs and when they are not present in the system, the system crashes.
    This does not happen with cannabinoids because of the unusually long time it takes to completely metabolize and rid yourself of said cannabinoids.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I’ve made life changes so that I can smoke everyday all day that haven’t hurt me or the ppl around me emotionally or financially.

8. It is probably the medications that is really doing it. Might be an interaction with Cannabis. Cannabis alone, doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms.

9. #9 PAOLO1981, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    I agree with this, that is does not physically give you withdrawal symptoms BUT it does give you metal ones! Although it is in your head … If you are used to smoking EVERY day after many years and that is your routine (like it is mine) and you don't get your weed when you want it..... you get grumpy and irritable and will move mountains to get your fix.
    Being on holiday is different as its new and exciting and you make do without .. But try that at home when your bored and it's raining and the Mrs is on your back!!! & u really want a blunt!!!! You will get grumpy!!!!! Maybe I am just different but that's how it effects me!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I started smoking 'dope' at the age of 12...smoked almost daily until I was about 30...quit for 28 years...retired and smoke all I want today,be that 10 joints or none...your problem is totally mental.....JMPO....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes and no. I'll tell you why.

No,
    it's not like those other drugs that we can't mention here; as far as heavy, physical withdrawal (organ shut-down etcetera)

Yes,
    many people can become psychologically dependent on cannabis (not physically addicted).

That's a mental condition that can (and often does) manifest itself in physical form when one stops using.

Things like insomnia, anxiety and irritability are common. Those withdrawal symptoms can have a huge PHYSICAL impact on the subject.

With cannabis, those symptoms don't (normally) last long though. The real challenge is constantly thinking about it when you don't have any or are trying to quit. It gets easier over time though. Thought control (positive thinking) is mandatory for a smooth transition to non usage of weed.

Many physical ailments, disease, sicknesses are brought on by stress. That's proven. And what is stress? Stress is mental condition. A nervous breakdown or burn-out is a prime example of the mental state of mind turning into a physical problem.

I've been smoking weed since 13.
    Currently pushing 60. I don't have mental problems and take no medication except for the thyroid. I've always had a few days of discomfort when I had to quit for awhile. Now that I grow my own, those days are gone (bitches)

• Like Like x 1
  12. ...Some people have 'addictive personalities'...they get 'hooked' on ANYTHING/EVERYTHING...stems from a weak mind...:>)...JMPO...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Physical addiction often comes from a "weak" mind, but I wouldn't call it that.

If a person has problems and a drug helps, it's easy to get addicted. It's just like the people that uses prescriptions drugs for years. It helps them, they continue and won't go without them.

14. I agree with the 'clinical view' of your statement....That said,all I have to base MY statement on is MY PERSONAL experience with rec drugs (ALL of which I made a conscious choice to ingest) in many forms over the last 48 of my 60+ years,and longer if you throw Nicotine into the mix ....of all the different substances I 'used' over my lifetime Alcohol was the closest any really came to addiction...got up to around a quart a day for several years and even 'identified' as a 'functioning alcoholic'...held down a job with the same company for 33 years..(had to quit smoking Cannabis for over 25 of those years due to drug testing).
    Mentally ill people excluded,I believe most addictions/addicts are by choice rather than being an uncontrollable 'disease'...JMPO...:>)...

15. Tbh it’s not as easy as it sounds if u have been smoking for a while now then u will not be able to quit without going insane and that’s just the plain truth as far as limiting ur usage I would say that it’s possible if you’re willing to deal with SOME withdraw effects I know I used to smoke from sun rise to sun set when I wasn’t working and I tried to quit all together but it just wasn’t possible so most of the time i would just find something to keep me busy such as cleaning or organizing my closet until the withdrawal effects faded away
    As far as ur medical conditions I would look up alternative meds. I have really bad anxiety and depression so I bought some gummies that I found at Walmart to help with that. I also used sleeping aid pills to help me sleep since weed was basically the only thing that would let me sleep.
    Good Luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum