Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Should I stop smoking completely? (panic attacks)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by bbbbbdo, Nov 6, 2013.

1. #1 bbbbbdo, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013
    For background purposes, I'm a chick, on the small side, have GAD and a limited history of panic attacks (like once every five years, but when I have them they're awful, feel like I am 100% going to die and think I need to go to the ER, but am always able to talk myself down because I have a pretty good grip on reality at all times)

I'm a college sophomore but I transferred so I fell in with a new group of people this year and they all smoke. I smoked for the first time in late August and I've been smoking since, mostly bowls and bongs and sometimes blunts, every weekend and some weekdays.

I would only take one or two hits and then I would feel a really nice sedate feeling and feel really chatty and friendly and chill, it's a great feeling. Kind of like the feeling you get on benzos. 

A few weeks ago I went back home to visit my family so obviously did not smoke over that weekend. I came back the next weekend and my friends wanted to do a GB before we headed over to a party so I took a full powerade bottle of smoke.

It hit me really hard and I was coughing like crazy and at first I felt amazing, I felt like I was moving through time. Then my one friend said something and I couldn't stop laughing and then I just felt everything shift and get scary and went into panic attack mode.

My panic attacks usually only last like five minutes so I was confident that was going to happen... it didn't. The elevated heart rate kept my mind in churning panic mode for an hour and a half. I was aware the entire time that I was fine but could not talk myself down physically. My friends took me back to my apartment and I got Xanax but I didn't want to be alone so I took the Xanax and they brought me to the party. I came down in like thirty minutes and felt fine although exhausted the next day.

Earlier that day I had a medicinal dose of Robitussin for a cough so I don't know if maybe that fucked with my lung capacity or I robotripped a little by accident? I don't think so because it was a totally normal dose.

Anyway this past weekend I freaked out again. First I drank too much at one party and went to another one and was in an awful mood + judgment was impaired, so I took a massive bong rip (DUMB I know you're not supposed to drink and then smoke) and freaked out again but couldn't take Xanax this time because Xanax + alcohol will fuck you up so I had to go home with my friend and lie in bed and wait to come down. Took almost four hours. She had a bad experience herself the night before (smoked a lung of shitty weed) but it was social paranoia, like "oh no one likes me" not this all consuming "my life is ending" paranoia that was gripping me.  

Both of these experiences were just absolutely awful and I was laid out for hours. It was just this churning panic that would come in waves, I would start thinking I was feeling better and then that very thought would fuck me up again. I had severely blurred vision and weird hallucinations and a total lack of spatial orientation, both times I only got around and had normal conversations using my lizard brain and autopilot. I felt like I had never known what it was like to feel normal and I never would again, I thought I was dead, I thought I wasn't real, I thought my friends were dead, it was literally exactly like a nightmare.

This makes me never want to smoke again. I know that's stupid because between both of those experiences I smoked small amounts of joints and felt fine after. I should probably just avoid bongs and GBs/lungs/waterfalls entirely now, I guess I don't have the personality or the lung capacity to smoke that much without flipping out. But it's making me afraid to touch weed at all which sucks because I like it way better than drinking alcohol and while drinking makes me way too jazzy, the right amount of weed makes me the perfect amount of social while still being chill and relaxed.

Advice? Sorry this is so long I just wanted to cover everything

2. I admittedly skimmed through your post.

My advice:

Smoke less

Smoke weed that is indica dominant

Smoke slower

Smoke alone

If none of those work you may should consider quitting. Cannabis is not for everyone!

Welcome to the city! Keep us posted.

Smoking slower and less is definitely good advice but the problem of me being a strictly social smoker kind of eliminates the other two, I will definitely ask what strain it is next time I smoke with other people though, and look it up. Couch-locked is definitely preferable to tripping balls. Thanks!

4. No problem. By the way it is against the rules to mention drugs other than Cannabis, tobacco, and alcohol. Just so you know since you're new.

Also I would recommend to not drink and smoke.

Okay good to know, thanks.
    Haha yeah I will definitely not be doing that again!

6. #6 bbbbbdo, Nov 6, 2013
    Forgot to mention, I had a few disassociative/depersonalization episodes this summer before I got to school, and the bad reaction to weed kind of felt like depersonalization + panic attack, so these are both things I'm already prone to

7. smoke less..... gain tolerance.... drink then smoke if ur going to a party.....and dont ask what strain is it next time, sounds lame and they probably don't know cuz its no name dank,mids,etc.

8. #8 Deleted member 194034, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    Doing an intense exercise or really any bit of excerize but the more intense the better  before you smoke GREATLY reduces anxiety and paranoia. Just go for a run before you get high or do something active that you like to do. Also smoke slower, maybe take it lightly, also certain strains may induce or reduce anxiety. Also a beer before you smoke reduces anxiety.lol

9. lol i just read that u drank and then smoked and had a bad time... different strokes for different folks i guess

10. Eh after her experience and with her disassociation and anxiety issues I wouldn't mix alcohol and cannabis again.

11.  I just skimmed through her post so I didnt see she mentioned that

12. Well tussin can increase anxiety when combined with weed. If you even had 60mg it could cause interactions.

Other than that...smoke less and do it in a VERY comfortable environment. Treat it like you would a trip. Do things that bring you to that happy place, whatever that may be. Music/movies/food w/e.

Maybe you can't smoke socially yet...I used to get anxiety when I started around randoms (some of whom were sketchy haha). Fades with tolerance. Then again...so does the beastliness.

HF, don't overdo it. I wouldn't combine it with drinking if you are new...and even then, it's a combo only for a certain person.

13. #13 bbbbbdo, Nov 6, 2013

idk man I don't think it's too weird, they usually tell me themselves what we're smoking especially if it's kind of strong, when I smoked northern lights with one of my friends he warned all of us we were going to be couchlocked. I think that itself is a good reason for me to avoid smoking with strangers lmao

14. OP you claim yourself to be a social smoker.

Have you ever tried smoking alone?

15. While drinking and smoking isn't necessarily BAD, I wouldn't recommend it. Take your smoking slowly. One hit every few minutes. Get a 1-hitter. That may help prevent you from smoking too much and you won't waste weed by letting it sit there and burn.

16. Also, try listening to the artist Baths. The album 'Cerulean'. It's very relaxing. :)

17. maybe you
    Sound lame. Girl if you
    Are buying something and you want to
    Ask what kind it is then you can by all
    Means! And is not at all
    Lame. If they don't know then oh well but at least you asked. I don't know about you gbaby but I like to know what I'm buying, and that goes with everything I buy. It's not lame or you aren't stupid for asking your dealer if they know the strain. Your lame for thinking that

18. I know that this will not be a popular answer but weed can worsen anxiety disorders. You might get benefit from the other suggestions, but the safest option is not smoking... depends how important weed vs risk of more anxiety is to you. 

19. dont smoke

Sent from my SGH-T959

20. Hard to know your strain in illegal states...or at least it is for most. I only ask what strain it is when I'm wowed and then they usually don't know. Gain familiarity yourself and you can pick up on what to look for and ID it. Most don't care what strain it is lol.