Should I start my seeds off in fox farm ocean forest or a cheap potting soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by ItsBigPete, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Hey I was wondering if I should start my seeds/seedlings off in my fox farm ocean forest or should I start my plants off in a cheap soil then transplant them into a pot with my fox farm soil? Because I have heard that fox farm ocean forest can burn smaller plants.

2. You wont have to worry about burning them if your starting from seedlings. Thats mostly for clone transplanting and what not. You should be fine doing foxfarm all the way thru.

3. Use ff light warrior, its meant for seedlings

4. Mix your own starter blend. :cool:

1/3 Peat Moss
    1/3 Earth Worm Castings
    1/3 Perlite and Vermiculite (50/50 mix)

The EWC will provide for your babies until you're ready to transplant. You can even expand off this same mix (minus the vermiculite) with a few amendments and have a water only, all organic multipurpose, kick ass, sustainable medium. Rock dust, liming agent, alfalfa meal, kelp meal and an organic fert like Espoma plant tone, you're in business. No worries about PH, bottle nute schedules, or deficiencies... Just healthy, pretty green plants that you only have to water with chlorine free tap. Happy growing!

• Like Like x 1

5. Is it possible to get all this stuff from say a home depot or maybe even a nursery type place?

6. Most of it you can get from Home Depot (Peat, lime, espoma, kelp, perlite, vermiculite), the rest (Castings, rock dust, alfalfa) from a local nursery. Even better if you have a feed store in your area, you can get big bags for pretty cheap.

7. I suggest InTheGarden's organic soil mix, it's what I'm using. :)

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

8. LOL, sorry LeftHandLead, I just noticed your recommendation is basically the same as ITG's, COOL! :)

9. Aye... I learn from the best. Love ITG.:D

10. Sorry forgot to ask this but does this have to "cook" at all and how much each of that other stuff to make the sustainable medium? I just want everything to be correct so i can get some good growth and a great harvest! Thanks man

11. All good bro. The starter mix doesn't need time to cycle (cook). The other mix you will have to let cycle for 3-4 weeks. The longer, the better.

Base:

1/3 Peat
    1/3 Castings/Compost
    1/3 Aeration (Perlite, Rice Hulls, Lava Rock, ect)
    1 Cup Lime per CF (Cubic foot)

Minerals:

4 Cups Rock Dust (Basalt, Granite Screenings, Decomposed Granite Sand, Azomite, ect.) per CF

Nutrition:

2 Cups Kelp Meal
    1 Cup Alfalfa Meal
    1 Cup Dry Organic Fert (Espoma, Dr Earth, Gardenville, ect.)

Mix your nutrition amendments all together, and add that mix at 1-3 cups per CF. Save the rest to top dress later.

12. Thanks a lot my dude but what would happen if i didnt let it cook? Would it still be able to work?

13. You'd fry your plant like a pork chop lol. Hot cycle period would cook the dirt with your plant in it.

14. Lol gotcha. Well i dont think i have that long i kinda need to start growing now, so is there just a soil i can buy and just have to water or maybe a soil i can buy and add maybe a three part nutrient type thing like the fox farms trio?

15. Use the starter mix for 30-40 days, then transplant into the soil you had cooking for that time.

16. I can see youve been doing this a long time lol thanks man youve been a big help!

17. Just been hanging out in the organics section a lot, soaking up all the great info in there. Actually I'm pretty much a novice lol. Glad I could help out.:cool:

18. One more question my dude lol but can i use the starter soil for the whole grow and add nutrients accordingly?

19. You can definitely start and top dress later. But you'll do better amending the starter mix and letting it cycle.