Should i stain the outside of my pipe

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by Pipesmith, Apr 4, 2011.

1. #1 Pipesmith, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
    As you can see by my name i love to make pipes and not stupid shit like Soda can pipes or Pen Steamrollers.

I have this wooden pipe i carved and drilled and i want to know if i should stain the outside or not (not the inside of the bowl the outside) to make it look good.

As for the pipe itself its made out of Wood for the base with a metal piece for the shank and a pen for the stem.

Attached Files:

2. Yup, I'd stain it something dark like Mahogany or Cherry if it were mine. Pics when you do it!

3. so you want to stain it to make it look good but theres a pen sticking out of it...

4. :laughing:

If you are going to stain it,
    keep the stain as far away from the inside of the bowl as possible.

5. sounds about right...

Do you have any other sweet homemade pipes to show us?

6. Im most likely going to paint the Pen black and i already have tape over the bowl and hole so i can stain it without getting it in the bowl.
    And i also made a cane using the same stain i was going to use for this and i took my lighter and put it to the end of the cane and it did not catch on fire so i know it IS NOT flammable.

The next thing i need to worry about is the bowl i know wood pipes need to be "Broken" in so to speak and need to build up a thin film of cake on the sides but this will make the first few smokes impossible.
    So i was thinking of torching the bowl with the lighter (nothing in it) to condition it.

What do you think?

7. Man, you look like you've got some good wood-working skills, why not make a nice all-wood pipe instead of having a pen sticking out of it? :smoking:

No hate here at all, I just think using a pen kinda detracts from the coolness of the nice wood piece you carved.

Staining it would look real nice though, so long as you're making sure to stay safe and not stain anywhere that might cause you health issues. :bongin:

8. Ok i just Stained it and im letting it dry and i will take pictures when its dry.

The reason why its not 100% wood is because i tryed to model this after a real tobacco pipe you would see your grandpa smoke and most real pipes have a wood base then a acrylic (Plastic) tube sticking out for the stem.

Also i want to be able to "puff" so to speak on it so i need a something small in diameter for the mouth piece which is something you can't do with a regular glass pipes.