Should I quit my job?

Discussion in 'General' started by token2004, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Okay I have worked the same dead end job now for 6 years.. Im 20 years old and am going to college for the first time in September. right now I make 16$ an hour but I am VERY unhappy there... and its a industrial bakery and the flower and all that is really taking a toll on my health (lung problems etc)... I know Ill be pretty broke until Sept when I get my student loan... but I could always get a part time job or something..

Ive called in sick the last 2 nights because of a REALLY bad sore throat and it just gets WAY worse when I go back in there from the flour dust n' shit.. so I am considering just telling them Im not returning..

Ive been thinking about it alot... and man we only got one chance to live this life to the fullest... Im young so why should I make myself suffer for the extra 4 months??? Im sure I can get by...

Opinions? :eek:

2. NOO! you will seriously regret quitting that job, 16 an hour is very hard to come by now-a-days, and it sucks being a broke college student, trust me! I used to work in a glass factory, and I would wear a bandana over my face so I wouldn't have to breath in hot fumes all day, you should look into that or maybe one of the masks I have pictured below, your boss won't have a problem if you say you're having health problem, who cares if you look stupid

[​IMG]

3. If you are sure you can get by, and you don't mind the loss in income, then yeah, you should quit.

If you didn't have college coming up, I'd say hell no, not until you find something else. But you aren't going to be there long anyway.

And fuck getting sick because of where you work. Life's too short to be sick because you make buns for someone else to eat.

4. Jobs aren't that easy to come by these days. Don't quit until you have something else lined up. You worked there for 6 years now, why not work a few more weeks while you find a different job?

But if it's really making you miserable and you can't stand working there anymore, and you're financially set to be out of work for a little while, do what you have to and quit. But personally, I wouldnt leave a job without having another set up.

5. U would be crazy to leave. ESP without giving a two week notice.

6. This ^^ 16 an hour is good money.

7. Fuck yeah 16 an hour is great money I mean unless like everybody else said, that you have another job lined up or you have enough to financially support yourself in the time being. Otherwise I would just suck it up and deal with it. That's good money man.

8. I take home like 450$ a week... which is the exact same as the people who have worked there for 30+ years... its such a gay job you cant even move up at all... I want to goto school to be a nurse and there are about 10 jobs listed in my city right now making over 30 an hour for 37 hours a week with full benefits....

9. have something else lined up.

i was in a similar position, topped out at my last job managing my own small shop for $15/hr. i was TOPPED OUT. no chance for more money. hated going to work every day, so i said fuck it. gave my two weeks. here i am almost 2 months later still havent found another job.

i was in your shoes exactly, all i can say is, have something else lined up (even if its burger king for 8/hr) because unemployment blows dick (especially if you dont get unemployment)

10. well like i said, i am enrolled in college for september... the course will only cost me 4000 total my first year and my student loan will be around 8200. i still live with my parents so i dont have rent... just my phone bill, insurance and gas really

11. yeah me too, but that shit still costs money and its hard to find a job. if you think you're covered go for it, but dont plan on finding another job for at LEAST 6 months in the current economy. just my 0.02. if i could do it again id have something else lined up, or id have gotten them to fire me for not working as hard as i should so i could at least collect unemployment, lol

12. Lol, Should I also mention I live in Canada, where the recession didn't hit all that bad... I could easily get a job making $10 an hour... everywhere is hiring like Home depot, Canadian Tire.. etc

13. you win :(

never gone longer than half a month without a job since i was 15. now like i said im going on two. i have an interview on the 15th, hopefully they will hire me so i can blaze for 4/20 haha