Should I quit my job?

Discussion in 'General' started by TickTockCroc, Sep 11, 2015.

1. #1 TickTockCroc, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
    Hey blades,

I started my new job almost a month ago, and to cut a long story short, the manager pretty much lied to me about work hours and about the work itself during the interview. I work 6 days a week, 9 hour shifts, sometimes 10, at ridiculous hours for shit pay, which basically leaves me with no life. It's also a job that I didn't even study for, and is a job I never saw myself doing. I basically handle complaints for the company all friggin day, and I'm more of a creative person.

The hours and the mundane work is making me hate my job. The boss promised I'd have room to do what I wanted to do, but it seems like I just got suckered and thrown in with the rest of 'em. Two new people have quit already (they spoke to me and told me the same thing I was feeling). One of them quit after their first day on the job. The boss said he was "shocked". REALLY? Literally everybody complains about this or that, and he's blind to it.

The only reason why I've actually decided to stay is because:

A) I'm scared of having no job again, plus this one is for a really good company.
    B ) Mainly because my family will not let me hear the end of how Im a "quitter". I'm literally terrified of telling my father. I'm 25, yet he still likes to think he is in control of his adult children's lives (control issues).
    C) I'm too pussy to bring it up to my boss so soon after just 1 month of working with the company

So I've started going to work high. I think people have noticed, but I honestly don't give a shit anymore. It takes away the depression and makes me feel good and motivated. I'm so depressed I've already called in sick twice in 2 weeks. The only down side is, I work late shifts so I get tired towards the end when I go to work high, but its better than losing my sanity and feeling anxious from depression.

I was forced into finding the job by my father, as he didn't trust me starting my own business, with my own money. He literally gave me a deadline to find a job, or he would kidnap me and force me to move abroad, so naturally I rushed into any job that looked good to me. After knowing that I wanted to start my own business, he also threatened to take away my big chunk of savings that I had saved up over 2 years and put it in a bank account I couldn't touch (You legally can't do that so he didn't, but the fact he said that says something about his control issues).

So I literally had one of two choices: Start my own business and piss off my dad who will force me out the country, or do what my dad says and find any job. I think it's because he's never trusted me as a hard worker throughout my whole life. He's always assumed I'm lazy and incapable of working hard.

Yet, I'm literally on top of my game at the office, I'm in the top tier of the hardest workers on our company leader board, and they've already spoken to me about promoting me. So how the fuck can anybody call me lazy or a quitter if I quit? But even so, I feel so shitty for wanting to. On one hand, I'm proud of my achievements with the company, and proud to be working for that company, but on the other, none of what Im doing right now is true to what I REALLY want to be doing. I feel like I think about quitting every single day. I feel like I'm doing this all for someone else. But then again, is that even realistic? Am I EVER going to find a 'dream' job?

I'd love to just quit and start my own business. Work at my own pace, do what I enjoy, being driven to make money.

*sigh*. But I don't know. Just don't want to make a huge mistake. I just feel that if I'm starting to need a bong rip before work, Its going downhill already....

Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. What I would do is and I know that it will not be easy at all is what little free time you do have left, spend that looking for a new job and if you get a new job quit your current one. It's never a smart idea to quit a job before securing a new one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have contemplated doing this several times but you are right. Dont quit until you have another job or if you want to really start your own business, keep your current job and do that on the side or find a part time job and do it on the side.
    What kind of work do you do at your job since I have a Bachelor's degree in English and am in an accounting role but trying to find another job myself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I also go to work high as well since I feel the same as you at my job.

5. Right now I am working a Kroger store, which lucky for me happens to be one apartment complex over from mine. If you've never heard of Kroger they are a supermarket chain and I am a stock clerk. But a lot of the times I have to go there high as well since it can be hard at times when the boss wants to ride your ass like a mounting dog. But on the side I've been practicing art, mostly land and seascapes though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I agree with Senenetehfrog86, never quit before you have a new job lined up. I hate my job right now and I work with my older sister who is higher up than me (I'm at the bottom of the totem pole at my job) and it sucks. Buuuut, I can't quit cause I need the money. Your dad can't be (too) mad if you get another job in exchange for the current one. But out right quitting without a solid plan tends to piss parents off.

7. Thats good you are doing that on the side. What did you go to school for? Unfortunately, I made the mistake of being an English major since I have tried looking for nearly a year and nothing. If I could do it all again, I would have gone a different route. Sometimes, I think about being an electrician or something since I can be somewhat mechanical I feel. Or I was thinking about making tshirt designs but that is really risky since I don't know much about graphic design and that alone would take a while to learn. I always felt creative but it feels to much of a risk with the fact I have loan debt from my degree.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 Peaceful Dusk86, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
    I haven't gone to school for anything, but I am gonna go back to school soon. :c It's a long story.However electrician is good a idea since we'll always need them and it can make good money if you become a master electrician.

9. Stopped reading halfway through so sorry if I missed something important but here's what I think

You're 25, your dad doesn't control shit tell him to fuck off and lead your own life. He might even respect you for it instead of being a pussy who does what he's told.

As or the job, keep it while you look for something new. The key is to actually be looking for new opportunities, don't fall into a routine with this shit next thing you know you're gonna be 60 and wondering wtf happened

10. Your dad cannot control you, start your own business. I bet you will be very motivated to ake sure it works just to prove him wrong.

11. I'd say keep it at first. I mean especially if people around you are dropping out like flies, maybe you'll get the room sooner than later.
    I mean you're only a month deep, and I didn't even like my job at first.
    But if things get progressively worse, then yeah drop it.

12. i love to quit jobs too but....everyone is right....you'll be in a way worse position with your dad if you quit with no back up.... u can choose whatever path you want but prepare to deal with the consequences... I've quit a lot of lifer jobs to run my own business....i can tell you it isn't freaking easy and i would be way better off if i stuck with the company jobs but...i was just so miserable. It isn't so much the money but the lifestyle for me also...I highly consider a real job al the time but i know i just can't do it at this point in time. Heck i have no idea what im doing to be honest. Just doing what i want, while recognizing the consequences..