Should I quit my job?

Discussion in 'General' started by TickTockCroc, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Hey blades,

I started my new job almost a month ago, and to cut a long story short, the manager pretty much lied to me about work hours and about the work itself during the interview. I work 6 days a week, 9 hour shifts, sometimes 10, at ridiculous hours for shit pay, which basically leaves me with no life. It's also a job that I didn't even study for, and is a job I never saw myself doing. I basically handle complaints for the company all friggin day, and I'm more of a creative person.

The hours and the mundane work is making me hate my job. The boss promised I'd have room to do what I wanted to do, but it seems like I just got suckered and thrown in with the rest of 'em. Two new people have quit already (they spoke to me and told me the same thing I was feeling). One of them quit after their first day on the job. The boss said he was "shocked". REALLY? Literally everybody complains about this or that, and he's blind to it.

The only reason why I've actually decided to stay is because:

A) I'm scared of having no job again, plus this one is for a really good company.
    B) Mainly because my family will not let me hear the end of how Im a "quitter". I'm literally terrified of telling my father. I'm 25, yet he still likes to think he is in control of his adult children's lives (control issues).
    C) I'm too pussy to bring it up to my boss so soon after just 1 month of working with the company

So I've started going to work high. I think people have noticed, but I honestly don't give a shit anymore. It takes away the depression and makes me feel good and motivated. I'm so depressed I've already called in sick twice in 2 weeks. The only down side is, I work late shifts so I get tired towards the end when I go to work high, but its better than losing my sanity and feeling anxious from depression.

I was forced into finding the job by my father, as he didn't trust me starting my own business, with my own money. He literally gave me a deadline to find a job, or he would kidnap me and force me to move abroad, so naturally I rushed into any job that looked good to me. After knowing that I wanted to start my own business, he also threatened to take away my big chunk of savings that I had saved up over 2 years and put it in a bank account I couldn't touch (You legally can't do that so he didn't, but the fact he said that says something about his control issues).

So I literally had one of two choices: Start my own business and piss off my dad who will force me out the country, or do what my dad says and find any job. I think it's because he's never trusted me as a hard worker throughout my whole life. He's always assumed I'm lazy and incapable of working hard.

Yet, I'm literally on top of my game at the office, I'm in the top tier of the hardest workers on our company leader board, and they've already spoken to me about promoting me. So how the fuck can anybody call me lazy or a quitter if I quit? But even so, I feel so shitty for wanting to. On one hand, I'm proud of my achievements with the company, and proud to be working for that company, but on the other, none of what Im doing right now is true to what I REALLY want to be doing. I feel like I think about quitting every single day. I feel like I'm doing this all for someone else. But then again, is that even realistic? Am I EVER going to find a 'dream' job?

I'd love to just quit and start my own business. Work at my own pace, do what I enjoy, being driven to make money.

*sigh*. But I don't know. Just don't want to make a huge mistake. I just feel that if I'm starting to need a bong rip before work, Its going downhill already....

Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. I hear ya, bro. Working shitty hours for shit pay is terrible. Especially if you can't stand the job.

If I were in that situation, I'd hold onto it for just a bit longer. Tough it out, and look for a better job that fits your creative mind.

Not having a job is quite the burden, at least it was for me while I was unemployed for a few months. I felt the depression get worse in fact. But that's just me.

Best of luck to ya, bro.

3. Literally almost walked out and quit at about 1 AM this morning. I stuck it out though. You should too at least until you find something else you might like to do.

4. Do what ya have to first. After that, do what you want. However, being a dedicated slave to money, position, things, lifestyle, peer admiration, etc, is a sure fire way to get yourself trapped in a lot of meaningless, regrettable situations.

5. #5 APH, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
    Your dad sounds like a cunt.

Don't quit if they're talking about a promotion, Couple months you could be doing something totally different.

6. #6 Slilent, Sep 11, 2015
    A good chunk of do that daily it's called making a living, focus on finding a better one and hoe you van talk this one up to move up on the world.

And it's fucking sucks
    I smoke before night shifts make the shit go by faster

7. It is never wise to leave a job without something firmly in hand unless you were independently wealthy...and no, living at home does not qualify as 'independently wealthy.'

Shit pay is better than no pay, especially since the number of hours seems to suggest overtime pay to boot...

8. #8 garrison68, Sep 11, 2015
    Tell us more about your father's threat to "force" you out of the country. Is this a joke or real? How can he do this? If you have your own savings, as you said you do, then why don't you just move out?

9. #9 8ight, Sep 11, 2015
    You're dad is going to force you abroad... wut?

Just move out and do want you want. If you can't move out, keep working. Nine hours a day is fucking nothing, dude. Take it as a lesson in time management. If you hate that job, do everything you can when you're not working to get where you want to be. I work a full time job. Then I go to school full time on top of it. So, I'm out of my house for 16 hours a day, every day. If I can do it, you can do it.

10. Personally, it sounds like you just need to pucker up and take a good ass pounding for a while. Just because you have a job doesn't mean you can't look for another. Find one before you quit.