Should I quit my job without first lining up another?

Discussion in 'General' started by Droogie, May 6, 2011.

1. So here's the deal: I have a part time job right now that I hate. Hate it to the point where I start to stress about it days before my shift. I feel like every time I walk into the place it's a waste of my time. It's one of those jobs where you feel like your brain is left outside on the curb when you walk in the door. It has nothing to do with the people I work with (most of whom I like), or the work itself (quite easy actually). I just feel completely unchallenged, unhappy, and unfulfilled there. I think I've been there for WAY too long. Conversation is dry and predictable, and every SINGLE shift feels exactly like the last one. Also another part-timer recently quit, so I fear becoming the "go-to" guy in a job that I hate. I've sent out a few applications, and am hoping on some possible paid internships over the summer, but I have nothing solid as of right now.

I'm really leaning towards handing in my two weeks notice right now though, because I just can't justify the unhappiness to myself anymore. I don't know what to do. My mood has been all over the place lately (likely because I'm stressed over this) and I'm just having trouble gauging this whole situation. Is it time for me to move on? Or is quitting a job without another gig lined up insane? :confused_2:

Thank you to anybody who took the time to read this, I mean that sincerely. :)

2. I think it'd be unwise to leave your job without a back-up plan but that's just me. Depending on where you live jobs could be hard to come by, and if they aren't who is to say you'd find another one on such short notice that would become just as stale as the last?

Stick it out, look for other options.

3. Years ago I would've said no, but in this economy, yes.

4. Find something else first! I've been looking for work for a year now. It's brutal out there.

5. I wouldn't. It might not be easy to find a new job. So unless you feel you could live on whatever savings or moneys you have, don't. Maybe try to get fired so you can get unemployment.

6. Do it if you have enough money saved up to last you until you find a new one.

7. Thanks for the input. I probably should just grind it out until I have something more solid lined up. I'm going to put in about 10 applications today, ha.

8. Yeah you really should line one up before you quit, way smarter that way.

9. Use all the negative energy that job brings you, as motivation to find another one first

10. It could go your way, probably not though.

Your best bet is to secure another job before putting in two weeks notice.

Good luck.

11. Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?

I worked at a Taco Bell and honestly enjoyed it. Why? Because everyone I worked with was the fucking shit and easy to get along with. Was the work glamorous? Of course not. But we made the best of it and most days we had fun. Especially when my GM would tell the asshole customers that I did nothing wrong and tell them to go away :p

Point being, even if you're not using your brain, feel unfulfilled, and don't make good money, realize it could be a lot worse. Enjoy the company of other people.

Don't complain because the work is too easy either lol.

12. #12 Droogie, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
    ^ I work at a grocery store, and have been there since high school.

I realize of course it could be a lot worse, I'm not that naive. It's just that I have this voice in my head screaming at me "TIME TO MOVE ON BUDDY." ya know? I just feel like my time there is through. All that is on my mind when I'm there is "how the hell am I going to get out of here" (I've tried applying to other places, but as you probably know its brutal out there)

And as for the people that I work with, most of them are in there for the long haul and share few common interests with me (often times I'm working alone too). The only other part timer that shared my same position is now gone. So I'm expected to put on a happy face and give a damn about the company, which I don't. $$ is the only thing keeping me there.

It's just not a good fit anymore, and staying there is doing me no good. But I've heard all of you on here and I'm going to stick it out until I have something lined up; I put in a couple applications already today, and have a few more that are going out soon.

13. Theres work and careers dude. Anybody who works hates it. People with careers say they hate "working" but come on. Sitting at a desk making $15+ an hour cant be too fuckin bad.

I deliver pizzas in a pretty rich town. Seeing people coming to the door with bluetooths on "working from home" is kinda depressing. But hey somebody gotta bring em there pizzas and toss salads..Just like somebody gotta clean toilets at school and somebodys gotta build houses. If its not backbreaking stick with it.

14. Yeah, a lot of my friends worked at our local grocer in highschool and they all hated it. Lousy pay, no hours, unfair working conditions, asshole boss, all that shit :rolleyes:

Just make it one more month, by then you should have found something new. Make sure you leave on good terms too. A lot of people tend to do the whole "Fuck you this sucks im outta here!" and that's really a stupid choice. Even if you don't enjoy the work, take pride in it. I know what its like to have that voice. But there's other voices you need to listen to, too.