should I put a germinated seed in a full sized pot with soil?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GingerSwissCheese, Oct 14, 2016.

1. So I have a small pot for growing up a seedling and a large pot for its permanent home until cultivation, would it be better to give a seedling a big spacious place to spread it's roots without ever having to be transferred into a larger pot later on or should I let it fully root a smaller pot before putting it into the permanent pot?

2. Start in solo cups then repot. Unless there Autos.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Depends......is it an autoflower or photo-period plant?

Its up to you what you want to do as YOU CAN do either or........the general consensus is to start small and transplant with needed. Some people transplant the same plant 3 and 4 times.

4. It is easier to manage a new seedling in a small pot compared to a large pot, because when the root is only 1 inch long it is very hard to keep the soil in the top of a large pot moist without making the bottom of it a swamp.

If you think you can be sane with your treatment of it, splash it with a little water as it needs it for a week or two and not get fixed into a rigid "must water it every day" routine even though it's less than 5 inches, then I actually find that going in to a bigger pot causes the plant to grow much more strongly. At first it can be slower while the roots fill it out, but then they grow very nicely with thick fleshy stems and leaves as big as your hand. In small pots, if left long enough to truly need repotting, I find the plants seem to start out more conservatively as if they know there's not much room to grow, with thinner stems and smaller leaves.

However, there are significant benefits to starting in a smaller pot. It is much much easier to manage, and that is not to be sniffed at! Most people, including me, do usually start with small pots and work up.

Finally, +1 about the autos as posted above. If it's an auto you should go straight to the big one. They don't like being moved.

5. Yeah I had two that I put in smaller pots and were growing nice and steady but a storm came out of nowhere while I was asleep last night and they both bit the dust so today I'm germinating a couple more seeds and getting ready to start over again. Also it's bagseed so I'm not sure.

6. Sucks man, so you're growing outside? Are you sure they're a total write-off? Even if they've been knocked over and all the soil's come out exposing the roots, they will survive and be repotted as long as they haven't dried out too much.