Should I keep my pots smaller?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mira, Jun 8, 2012.

1. So, I've got 4' of vertical space. I was planning on growing 5 autos in 3 gallon pots. Now I read that this strain (Supersonic Cristal Storm) only grows up to 60cm, ie 2 feet. But I just found a grow journal of the strain and the guy grew 1 plant up to 5 feet. TOO TALL! :eek:

So I've also read autos can be shorter by giving them a smaller pot. Should I get 2 gallon pots instead to save some space? It might affect my yield probably, but I'm sure that's better than plants growing too tall to house properly.

Any thoughts? I can't be havin no 5 footers! (wish I could!)

2. U could try some pruning if plants get big? Hmm small pots should stunt growth...

3. Yeah, it sucks I'm trying to stunt my plants' growth. Maybe I should invest in a tent and get it done. That would take care of size problems but increase sketch factor as I couldn't put the tent in any sort of closet, just out in the open in a bedroom (duplex, rented)

4. Im doing the same thing. I live in a rented duplex. Right now I have a 3X3X7 in the spare bedroom with a 400w hps and the bedroom closest is setup with cfls for veg. Im about to make a custom grow box in the next couple days and add another 400w hps into that! Cant help with your auto questions;; but good luck none the less!

5. I no someone who had a walk in cuboard he just cut the tent poles down to fit . or tho its quite awkward space wise...

Yer u cant really hide a big black square sleeping bag unless u said it was a temporary wardrobe lol ...

6. Also forgot to say that hps lights can make ur plants grow taller then cfls...

7. I actually could hide the one I was just looking at (as in, if I knew maintenance was coming by or something) but it would require the plants to be either taken out or on their sides. I'm not very worried about my landlord/maintenance seeing anything as they rarely if ever come by and have only gone upstairs (growing on upper level) once when we first moved in.

8. All cfls. I'm glad to hear that.

9. If u go to advanced growing techniques- plant traning- then look at 2nd post. That might help :) cant post links at moment lol.

10. [quote name='"Mira"']Yeah, it sucks I'm trying to stunt my plants' growth. Maybe I should invest in a tent and get it done. That would take care of size problems but increase sketch factor as I couldn't put the tent in any sort of closet, just out in the open in a bedroom (duplex, rented)[/quote]
    I would get a tent and be done with the issue. I have also read that autos will stay small in smaller pots. Sounds crazy to me to purposely stunt a plants growth while at the same time hoping for good production.

I went with 5g nursery pots, and mine didnt stay very small.

ForumRunner_20120607_232657.png

11. you need to practice LST.
    They are only as tall as you let them.

a 3 gal pot in not that short to begin with.

12. Thanks guys. It looks like my partner-in-grow (as in my roommate) is not okay with the tent for security reasons so I will be keeping the plants in the closet I mentioned for sure. I'm going to go with 2 gallon pots, I know this will reduce my yield a bit but I just can't see it ending well for my plants if I let them get more than about 2 feet. I will certainly look into LST but I hope to keep the plants still a bit narrow, as I am a little restricted in that way too. Can you LST without them getting super bushy? I can definitely handle a little bit of side branch but there's a limit for me.

I'll also look into pruning, seems like something that would benefit me greatly.

13. #13 Vicarious87, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
    Use the 3gal pots, you cant go wrong with the root space, the autos shouldnt ever get over 3 feet in flowering if in 2-3gal pots. You might want to look into fabric/smart pots.

Remember, more roots = more yield in most cases.

I wouldnt LST an autoflower plant, and I wouldnt transplant more than twice. You cant clone autos either, and they do NOT like topping. ONE tried and true method is pinching, to make the stem thicker and stronger, it also increases nutrient uptake and flow that the plant needs in order to heal.

14. What made you choose the strain SCS? there are better producers out there, lol. Trying something new is always good imho.

15. For pot size, I tend to follow a simple guideline: 1 gallon per month that the plant will be alive. (Rough estimate, but it works).

If you're having trouble keeping plants inside a confined space, LST and other training will benefit you greatly. Look into training plants.

16. I don't know, I bought them for speed and supposedly (according to that site with all the strain infos) height. See, I wanted to order something 60cm max that I could harvest 60 days (ideally) from seed, but I didn't realize the strain could grow so tall.

My only other strains that met those criteria (on Attitude that is) were one called green-o-matic and some that were sold out. My only reason for not going with the green-o-matic was that it would be TOO short, as they said normally about 12" at harvest. Maybe in hindsight I should have went with those, but alas, my seeds are en route.

17. Let me know how the order goes, I have alot of seedstock already but I want to start ruderalis breeding program next year. Looking for CBD secrets locked away.

18. Will do, lets hope these babies stay short, fat and sugary!

19. You can keep em as low as you want by topping them. Make em grow sideways not straight up