Should I go flowering already or not?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kennyk11, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have a space issue. My grow space is W80cm x D50cm x H210cm.
    The height isn't an issue, but the rest is..
    I am now growing 5 plants in this space. 2 White Skunk and 3 Tasman Haze.
    I know it's too many. I will only grow 2 at the time in the future..
    2 WS are 6 weeks in veg phase, they are about 27cm tall.
    3 TH are 4 weeks in veg phase, about 17cm tall.
    It's already quite crowded in the grow area, leaves are touching against each other and some touching the walls. If these plants don't grow too wide horizontally, but grow vertically more, then it can be under control.

Should I already go into flowering phase now? Or wait a bit more?
    If I did go into flowering now, can I expect decent harvest from TH, being still quite short at this moment?

Appreciate for any suggestion/advice:)

Using HPS 250W.

2. Okay, well the first thing i noticed is the height. Whenever you start flowering, they will most likely end up about twice the height it is now. 27 cm is a pretty wimpy plant and your yield is likely to suffer greatly if you flower it now. If its been 6 weeks, you should have a taller plant, so maybe your light isnt good enough. A good rule for plants is to have 100 watts for the first plant and about 50 watts for each additional plant so your just under that threshold. How much stem is sticking out of the ground and could you post pictures? How close is the light to the plants? The more leaves that grow, gradually, your plant will grow taller and I think that waiting another week or two in veg wouldnt hurt at all. Have you used any nutes/ferts? Keep us updated and lets see some pics. :smoke:

3. Thanks conway!

I will post the pic after I take it tomorrow morning!

2 WS aren't so tall because it didn't receive any light at all for the first 10 days when they were seedlings. But it's catching up a lot after I installed 250 HPS.

As long as these plants grow upward, I don't really have a problem because I have 210cm (7 feet) space. The problem is the width and the depth..

Now the light is set around 30cm away from the top of WS, I don't see any burns on the leaves and I think my plants are enjoying the light.

I give nutes which was recommended by growshop, Bio-Grow by Biobizz. This is pretty common brand around here. I have another nute for flowering which I will use later.

Temperature is around 21 to 26 C, have good fan system as well.
    Water (in and out) is checked for PH, stays between 6.4 to 6.8.

4. Flower now, just don't use any lst training. and use it as a learning experience.

5. magestik63,

Thanks for posting, but I need to be convinced:)

6. Well you said you were concerned about the plant grow ing to wide. Low stress training is used to limit it's verticalgrowth, and use more width and depth.
    And like the other guy said, a good rule of thumb is 100 actual watts per plant

7. I have rearranged the pot placement, this way they have more space.
    The first pic is before the change, and the second is after changing pot placement.
    It's hard to tell, but I have actually moved the light a bit toward the camera to create the space.

If you look at the second pic,
    the 3 pots in front are Tasman Haze, they are in 6L pots. it's now 19cm. Exactly 4 weeks in VEG. The 2 in the back are White Skunk, in 11L pots, about 28cm. Exactly 6 weeks in VEG.

Let me know when you guys think I should go flowering.

Thanks,

K

Attached Files:

8. #9 kennyk11, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
    magestik63,

Yes, I know the effect of LST, and I haven't done it.
    I have topped 2 WS because I wanted to slow their vertical growth to allow the 3 TH to catch up. Other than that, I haven't done anything fancy.

You think I should flower now?

9. #10 magestik63, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
    Its going to get really crowded in there if you let them veg for much longer, they double to triple in size during flowering, and not just vertically but out as well
    And honestly you could only put one plant in there and use a scrog

10. When you start your 12/12 cycle to beging flowering, its not an inmediate process. It usually will take between 3 and 10 days for the plant to "notice" and react to the light change. So, you have like 5 days of "vegetative" growth once you flip to 12/12.

you can also go straight from seedling to flowering. So, really, anytime is good to start flowering. Maybe you will yield a bit less than vegging for 8 weeks, but in theory you could vegg a mother for like a year or two then flower it. It will yield a lot... LOL, but since thats not gonna happen, flower the bitches and keep track of whats going on for your next grow is likely to be better so far you pay attention to the previous one....

Those are fine looking plants, btw. They seem better in the new disposition. What are u using as a wall reflector, windshield sunreflector??. Looking good. Yes the plants will be crowded and touching against one another. No biggie. Also, you can try the "opposite" of LST. When the plant starts getting to wide, you can carefully tie the rebel branch to the main stem. You dont want to bend it all the way to the center, but you can just reel it back towards the centerish area.

I you are aware that the crowding is big, and that the plants will double the sisze while flowering, then you might wanna consider getting some CFL´s to place below the canopy. HPS / Green leaves and buds / CFL´s. Those exta bulbs will supply for light in the lower part of the plant, which is likely to be shadowed by the above green ceiling...

Hope i made sense and it helps.

11. Guys, thanks for the input.

Anti-LST, great idea Pollojunk. I will remember that and do it when I have to.

I bought that reflector at nearby home care store. It's actually heat reflector that you use for building houses, but it seems it reflects light as well. I hope my plants think it's good enough.

This is my first indoor growing, it's partially experiment too.
    And I received the TH seeds for free anyways.
    Now I know 2 is the max for my Grow Space!
    I will try LST at my next grow. I am going to LST the LSD like bondage maniac!
    Scrog sounds great too, but it seems it's more hectic to set it up..

I appreciate the additional light suggestion, but I am spending too much money already on the whole weed growing. If I see too many stems and leaves, I will probably trim them off.

Which strain should I prioritize when space conflict occur? Tasman Haze or White Skunk? I think the latter is more potent.. I will probably treat them like precious babies and TH like cheap hookers:D although they actually were free..

I will go flowering soon, likely within this week.
    I just ordered odor neutralizer (ONA pro) today, I hope they get here soon..
    I am looking forward to go into 12/12, less cost for light and less worry with neighbors:)

How long after flowering does it get stinky usually?

12. Hey kenny. I just took a look at your pictures and I must say im really envious of your setup and plants; they are very beautiful so far.. however, I think with the amount of plants you have and the width that they are taking, you might want to think about modifying or changing your grow space because I would love to see you veg for a little longer so you can get the most out of your yield. I can guarantee you it is going to get very crowded in there whether you decide to flower now or later. How many times have you topped your plants? What I would recommend is that you take one, maybe two plants out of your original grow space. Now you have 2 sets of plants, one set to veg for awhile under a less powerful light and one to flower. This idea is not only going to increase your yield alot, but your going to have more wattage on the plants that your flowering resulting in better bud and a ton more growth. Plus, this solves the crowded problem. let me know what you think and update pics when those babies start to bloom! :smoke:

13. Hi Conway,

Thanks for the ideas, but I will not these girls separated. They need each other.
    They actually don't, but I don't want to create another grow area for vegetation and flowering.

I only topped the 2 WS once, so each will have two colas.

I could instead lift up the cover of the grow space and pull those plants out a bit more.
    Then it wouldn't be too messy and can grow big too.

But I think I will go flowering soon. I am thinking once each of TH is over 20cm, then flower.
    Will keep you updated.

Regards,

14. I flushed the plant today.
    I have read somewhere I should flush every 2 weeks or so.
    And I have never done it so far, so I decided to do it today.
    So much yellow/brownish output, I guess lots of nutes were in the soil.

Also I have changed the timer to 12/12.

I was told I should continue using veg nutes for the first week into flowering, so that's what I will do.

And now I will be carefully looking for the hair or balls on the stem.

Anything else I should or shouldn't be doing?

Thanks,

15. I have another concern!

in vegi, I had my timer run starting at 7am to 1am (18H).
    In Flowering, I want to change the starting time at 11am to 11pm (12H).
    Is it OK to change like that? If yes, should I gradually shift to 11am start? eg. tomorrow start 8am to 8pm, day after 9am to 9pm..

I just read somewhere if I change drastically the plant might go hermie, is that true?
    Is it a must to keep the same dawn time?

Thanks!

16. why would you want such a thing... Why not just leave it 7 to 7.

Its a stress factor certainly but i think that its gonna be less stressfull during the switch from veggie to flower. Im asuming since its a box that you can close light tight so that during 7 am to 11 pm no light is going inside the box. If this is not true, then ill stick to the dawn time as it is.

17. I want to change because I unfortunately have other things in my life to do as well, and changing the time suit me better. If I keep 7 to 7, I won't be at home during the time they get light, and miss my quality time with the bitches:)

18. 11-11 is the best time :) I would veg longer.... get those girls massive

No flipping it from 24/0 to 12/12 wont casue it hermie ;)

Evil :smoke:

19. By drastically, I mean the start time. From 7 am to 11am. I read somewhere the dawn time needs to stay the same in vegi and flowering, not true?