Should i get a whole house humidifier?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by SPrada, Nov 13, 2017.

1. #1 SPrada, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Hi everyone, recently we bought a house (almost 2500 sqft) and trying to make our minds up whether to buy whole house humidifier or just a good quality stands alone humidifier. The one I'm eyeing is an air purifier as well as humidifier but it cost almost $450. I don't know how much the whole house humidifier would cost but is it worth for buying?
    Does it do a good job?
    Thank you.

2. How do you heat your House? We for instance burn wood for heat so having a whole house humidifier is key, but if you have a temperature control system you may not need it.

If the house was previously occupied then look for clues, usually the previous owners would have left a dehumidifier in a basement or some notes pertaining to seasonal maintenance.

3. I looked into having one installed. There were two options...A wicking system that he said wasn't especially effective, and a much more expensive steam system that worked well.

Obviously you'll want to talk to your local HVAC people to find out what the options are, pros and cons, and cost. That is assuming you're talking about central humidification that is incorporated into your forced air furnace.

If you're talking about a stand alone unit, just check the reviews and the ratings.

4. Like, A Guy, said, most home systems that integrate into your air ducting are ineffective or damn expensive. You are better off using a portable humidifier. It will be effective at bringing up the humidity of a whole floor. Also remember a humidifier is only really used during the winter, so investing in a several hundred or thousands $ system to stay idle 9 months a year is a hard sell.

5. Hi, more ideas of best house humidifier. Air in your home can turn out to be excessively dry which can be extraordinarily uneasy and cause static stick. Amid the winter months, it is vital to add dampness to the air in your home. A humidifier can help keep the moistness in your home and end your static stick issue or the "stun" you get when you contact something.

Humidifiers are utilized in homes to build the stickiness level.

A portion of the issues that might be seen with air that is excessively dry include:

• Diseases from microbes and infections.

• Dry nose, throat, lips, and skin.

• Electricity produced via friction. Stripping backdrop.

• Splits in paint and furniture.

• For more data on humidifiers visit the EPA.

6. i'm pretty sure this is a necro thread but... OP don't buy a whole house system. get yourself a BONECO(formerly Air-O-Swiss) humidifier. I've had one for years that handles 1000 sq ft 2br apartment just fine. I tend to get horrible nose bleeds in the winter.

I have one of these: BONECO Shop | Ultrasonic Humidifier U700 i put it in the hallway and i'm good to go. maintenance every month which is easy enough for a monkey(me) to do it.

i hope this helps you make what is ultimately your choice. just to me this made sense. I looked at a whole home unit and a bunch of homeless despot(home depot) units. This is what i decided on.

7. A nice topic discussed here. I am fond of house humidifiers myself and would advice looking through whole house humidifier reviews before going on a shopping spree.