should i fim or top my mother?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by merlon, Mar 23, 2010.

1. strain NL
    125w cfl
    18/6
    gh floramicro 5ml per gal and florabloom 8ml per gal

im not sure if i should fim this plant its already 1.5ft tall...its my mother so itll be veggin at least another month or two but i dont want it to get too tall. i should have fimmed at 8-10" i think.

i dont have alot of veg space maybe 8ftx6ft area (only this girls in there for the moment), so i dont want to let this plant get too tall. should i instead just top it? it streched alot, and i want to make it short and bushy, what are my options? its under a 125w cfl and in a 5 gal bubble bucket, is this sufficent lighting to support good bushy growth in the mother? should i go buy some cfls from walmart to illuminate the side branching?

im almost leaning towards topping, so i can utilize my aeroponic cloner and use the portion from the top to start a new mother. any helpful input is greatly appreciated

also if i wanted to fim, do i clip this new growth in the middle???(where the yellow pointer is indicating)

Attached Files:

• top.jpg
      top.jpg
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views:

2. With my mother, I top and LST the shit out of them, and prune their big fan leaves, beacsue they are only mother's, all I have to do is keep her alive, I don't want them to grow and get tall and hard to manage.
    They don't pass 8 inches tall, if they do, I'll top and re-train ;)

3. so i should cut back on nutrients? top it in half and cut all the fan leaves off? this is indica but its looking like a sativa right now being that its tall and skinny...exactly the opposite of what i want it to be.

so i guess i should go read up on LSTing and see what i need to start doing.

4. Yes, you could do that, dnt cut back on nute's too much, dnt forget your keeping her alive, not starving.

If you cut that top, you can make use of every internode on that stem instaed of just having 1 clone. From a 1inch branch, I get 3 clones :D

5. yeah ill do that take those cuts first let it heal then top tomorrow...should i the mother some stuff like superthirve or just stay with the floramicro and florabloom?

6. for my clones, I mix superthrive and canna P/K to stimulate root growth (can't remember where I read that but for root growth, nitrogen is not needed.

What do you mean by take cuts, heal, top tomorra :eek:
    The second you cut, dnt allow the clone to heal, get it into it's rooting medium asap, and how will you cut without topping :confused::confused: I'm confused, please explain

7. okay, well im going to be cutting off the nodes, the first three down from the top. and then ill be cutting the top off ...

all cuttings are going straight into rooting hormone, and then into my aerocloner.

but what i was trying to say was that i was thinking of just taking off the nodes today making them into cuttings, and then tommorow when the areas on the main stem have healded over ill top it...but idk if its neccesary

8. Nah, not neccessary, do it all one time so each internode has a chance to become it's own plant. Your only stressing it more by cutting today, and then yet another topping tommorw. Do it all in one clean sweep, you'll be good ;)