Should I correct my professor?

Discussion in 'General' started by bahookahjoe18, Sep 8, 2011.

1. #1 bahookahjoe18, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011
    An abundance of blades lack reading comprehension skills, so here's a revised edition of my original post:

My professor said something wrong. Should I tell him the right?

2. HAHAHAHAHA

Anno Domini is latin for the year of our Lord, so both of you are correct. The big Bang is the most probable means of the creation of the world, sorry fundamentalists. You can be a christian and believe in the Big Bang you know... Science doesn't have to contradict religion, and if it does.. find a different religion.

Pangea theory is 99% likely. If you look at the continents and their forms and shapes, you will see how the earth evolved to the seperate continents it is in today.

So sure, correct your professor, but look like a loopy dumbass in the process.

3. AD does stand for Anno Domini

4. Dude, you completely misunderstood me. I know that Anno Domini is Year of Our Lord. It doesn't make sense to say that A.D. means "After death" because that would leave a thirty or so year gap between BC and AD.

The Big Bang didn't directly create rocks. And those rocks that it didn't create didn't form Earth. He thinks that it was a straight line from Big Bang to this solar system.

Big Bang>Rocks>Earth instead of Big Bang>Extremely hot particles>cooler particles>etc.

I also know about Pangaea's accuracy as a theory. But humans hadn't entered the scene 350 million years ago.

5. Fuck yes do it.

I do it all the time... I know more about Photoshop than my photography and design professors do.

6. You think I should man? Is it not disrespectful? Annoying? Disturbing?

7. If AD is after death then what does BC mean and why Jesus Christ was born 2-7 years before Jesus Christ?

8. Let me reiterate. I know that AD doesn't mean After Death. I mostly agree with the Big Bang. I agree with the Pangaea theory. Humans didn't live on Pangaea.

9. I doubt your professor is that stupid.. perhaps he was generalizing?

Nobody believes the Big Bang just spontaneously conjured up rocks..

And the earliest human fossil we have is something like 10 million years old, so I would definitely ask him why he believes we were here at the start of Pangea..
    but we were here at the expansion of Pangea.

10. It's a history class , not science, u don't need to correct him for the big bang. Did he actually go into detail?

11. Wait so the professor was saying that AD is after death?

12. Yeah?

13. #15 treelover, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2011
    [quote name='"bahookahjoe18"']Today I had World Civilizations, or History 101.
    This evening we were taught some things by the professor, beginning with a general overview of the history of civilization and ending with an in-depth look at the Neolithic age.

However, the instructor said a few things that were incorrect. First, that A.D. stands for After Death and not Anno Domini. I tried to correct him indirectly, by merely asking "What about the years that Jesus was alive?" but he unfortunately replied that they are just grouped with the "AD" years.

Then he said that the Earth was formed by rock particles left over from the Big Bang.

Thennnnn he said that people were here when Pangaea was the super continent and that is one theory as to our spreading over the earth. He means that humans just watched as the tectonic plates drifted apart.

Should I tell him the rights regarding these so that he learns something and stops (unintentionally) spreading false information?[/quote]
    Tldr all of it lol.
    After death is incorrect, AD is short for anno domini, which is latin for "year of our lord". It means that all the years after christ was believed to have been born are AD...thuse BC would be before christ
    But no, you shouldn't correct your proffessor, it will piss hom off and put you on his bad side early in the semester, teachers hate being corrected

14. Yes he was.

He wasn't generalizing. He's just an incorrectly-educated fundamentalist.

15. I would talk to him about it after class so he is less likely to get defensive infront of all his other students

16. [quote name='"TheKiller08"']

Yeah?[/quote]

He was saying his teacher said after death

17. Now you're changing the story after you already made yourself look stupid and now GC had to give you a reality check son.

[​IMG]

18. Well it really just depends on how you approach it. Be respectful about it and I'm sure they will be respectful back.