should i buy it

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bucketburner, Nov 5, 2011.

1. just came across this for 140 including another bulb, it's an hps mercury I guess, 400w.. is this something I should buy for my next grow room?

2. .....

Attached Files:

3. Much better ones out there...

4. for an extra 100 bucks you could get a dimmable ballast and bulb.

5. are you getting both of those pictured? Then maybe, MAYBE (I wouldn't)
    If your getting one, probably not.
    Also depends on how your growing; take into account that this reflector will concentrate light in a circle instead of dispersing it a little wider like most grow reflectors do.

The reason Im against it is:
    1:Those are industrial lighting aparati, not grow bulbs. They'll work, but like I said the reflector is kinda meh depending on how your using this light, and I think you'll probably need to get new bulbs anyways.
    2:I've seen those on craigslist ballast, bulb, reflector, for 40-60$
    3:I just craiglisted HPS setsups. Balast, bulb, reflector, set ups range from 80-220 with quite a few sitting at 100, 120, 140 for 400 watts.

6. awesome, thank you so much! one of my friends has a bunch of these and he's convinced theyre perfect for growing. me as an indoor noob i assumed he knew what he was talking about since hes been growing for years.
    so needless to say i wont be buying it, rather going to one of the many hydro stores and getting a reliable setup!

7. [quote name='"bucketburner"']awesome, thank you so much! one of my friends has a bunch of these and he's convinced theyre perfect for growing. me as an indoor noob i assumed he knew what he was talking about since hes been growing for years.
    so needless to say i wont be buying it, rather going to one of the many hydro stores and getting a reliable setup![/quote]

Good idea