Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xXTUNAXx, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Does anyone know whats going on with the leaves on this one? They are turning more yellow and curling down. Its coming up on week 2 since they germinated in rock wool then transfered to dwc system in 18 gal tote. Hydroton media
    Tent is 18 x 24 x 63. Advanced Nutrients (Micro/grow/bloom) nutes at 80% of recommended strength. 180W UFO LED light about 12" above plants.
    Temp is 76-78 @ 50% humidity.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. nutes at 80%?? i would imagine thats your problem
    have you checked the ph level ?

3. i normally just give my seedlings just tap water for the first 10 days or so...those are too young too receive nutes..like giving a bong hit to a baby bro..wont turn out so good.

4. I actually worded that wrong. I meant to say 80% less then what the typical dose would be so 20% strength. I'm a noob so just going by what a lot of forums say. I have to get a PH tester hopefully there is one in town otherwise have to order it.

5. Shouldn't be giving ANY neuts until those little round leaves are done.
    They contain all the nutrition a little seedling will ever need for the first few weeks of life.
    So at even 20% your "cooking" your baby
    Just water right now man.

6. If it was nute burn. The tips of the leafs would burn first. That's not nute burn its something else. Not quite sure. Maybe a zinc deficiency since it is in hydro tons. And those balls don't have the usual trace amounts of food soil or soil was has.

7. I gave them all some clean water and they are turning green again. As far as the nuts go i was following what the Advanced Nutrients recommends. I am a noob at this and there are so many different opinions its hard to go by whats right or wrong, better or worse.
    So when is the best time to start adding nuts?

8. 20% nuts would be a good starting point, I'm surprised that has caused you problems. seedlings need very little in the form of nutrients but they do need some. if flushing has helped then defo hold back for a bit. thats the problem with hydro, you need everything perfect. soil acts as a buffer and makes things so much easier. if you can do hydro then it's awesome but it's a fine ballance getting everything perfect

9. you can't grow plants for a few weeks on plain water. they will need nutrients

10. my buddy set this system up for me and gave me general directions. He knows what he is doing, but that's him NOT me. Right after he got me setup he went on vacation and cant reach him. Figures. Oh well I wish I tried soil first, but hopefully I can pull this off.
    Thanks for help.

11. There's six seedlings in my veg room that disagree with you. (2 weeks old)
    The Cotlyedons have it all.
    Don't need to be fed till they deplete those

12. can you put a photo up of them? my plants always show nutrient deficiency at 3 weeks and that's growing in soil. how big are your two week old plants?

13. 3rd set of serrated leaves.
    Under t5
    Growing in promix so there's no nutrition there.
    I'll up a pic shortly

14. Do plants draw nutes from soil when they become seedlings? If not how do they not get burned since they are submerged in a medium full of nutes? trying to wrap my head around this.

15. [quote name='"xXTUNAXx"']Do plants draw nutes from soil when they become seedlings? If not how do they not get burned since they are submerged in a medium full of nutes? trying to wrap my head around this.[/quote]

Yes they do draw nutrition from the soil. They also can get burned from soil that is extremely hot.

16. Isnt that seedling a bit small to be put into a DWC?
    I cant imagine it having the root development to properly feed in the dwc solution.
    Just my thoughts...
    Its looks like a Z def to me imo but without burnt tips
    So ide put my money on N def since he has vein chlorosis, undercurling/dropping and slowed new growth.

Um maybe a "mild" organic solution like bird quano or blood meal can bring it back to speed

17. if there is a zinc deficiency then what do I do? Is there a specific product that you recommend?

18. #18 dlpjr, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
    Next time try using some rockwool, sure to grow, something besides putting the plant in the hydroton. The cubes will hold water,nutes better for a plant that size. Unless your net pots are sitting in the dwc submerged a half inch or so it will take forever to have the solution wick up to your plant. Take a cup full of you mix from the dwc and dump it into the net pot, don't hit the plants. You will have to do this until the roots grow into the dwc.

Ya and get a ph meter that's a must, try to keep it 5.8 to 6.2.

19. how could it possibly be nutrient deficient? it can only be 2 days old in that photo. AND it had nutrient solution at 20%

20. Those plants our older then two days. I will bet the hydroton is dry, looks like it in the photo. Probably the net pots are an inch above the nute solution, and the only moisture the plants are getting is from the bubbles popping from the airstones. I am just saying that wicking the solution up the hydroton that way will take forever. Dump water on them.