Should I be pHing anything while growing Organically?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LED1sttime, Jul 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I've decided to take up the organic route, was using FF trio and didn't like the results. I'm using real growers recharge weekly, doing compost teas 2 times a month with buildasoil vermicompost and top dressing once monthly with craft blend by buildasoil, and I'm about to purchase Down to Earth Flower and Bulb 4-8-4 for flowering (day 4 of flower). Should I be getting my pH to the 6.5 range as I was doing with FF trio or no? I have GH pH up and down and I've heard it will kill the microbes in the soil, so if I do need to what should I use? Thank you in advance. :)

2. if you built your soil with good high quality compost / ewc's than you should have plenty of buffering ability already vin your soil so you don't have to worry about ph'ing your water.
    that's one of the VERY nice things about growing organic and one reason I switched from hydro. i packed my PH pen and solutions away and don't plant on having to touch them again! I water using nothing but straight tap water with some aloe vera added in but the water is right from the tap, no ph'ing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. My soil is a mix of 70% fox farms happy frog and 30% perlite, is that fine? I'm currently working on making my own compost for my next grow but had none available at the time unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  4. i like Happy Frog, it's actually part of my base of my soil mix but it isn't going to have any really buffering ability, at least that will last very long.
    Can you get any type of compost and/or EWC's. even commercial bagged is better than nothing to start, that's what i used to get my soil started and have homemade compost being made as we speak, but my current soil has bagged compost and etc and the plants are happy.
    don't know where you are, but if in the states than Lowes, Home Depot, True Value hardware stores, or my favorite, local agricultural feed/seed stores. can always find cow/steer manure compost, chicken poop compost, bagged EWC's, any or all would be good.

oh wait, i re-read your first post and youDO have EWC's i see. the vermicompost you listed.
    did you mix that in your soil mix or just topdressing it?

you can just keep adding a crapload on top as heavy topdressing and try to scratch it into the soil as much as possible without breaking roots - a few broken roots isn't going to bother the plants either. just get it into the soil the best you can, maybe mix it a bit with some rice hulls if you can source any, usually a local beer brewing supply place (or build a soil since you use them). thew rice hulls will provide added aeration to the heavy ewe's plus it breakdown and adds to the soil. if you can't get rice hulls, no problem.
    the Ewe's should provide you some ph buffering, possibly enough to get you thru this grow? more advance growers and organic guys will know a lot more than me.

at the very least, you MIGHT need to keep an eye and if things look to be going sideways on plant condition you could ph to get thru the grow and for next grow make sure the soil has all the good compost and ewe's to act as the buffering,

• Like Like x 1
  5. I just top dressed both of my plants with it, about 2" above the soil over the entire surface, didn't scratch it in though, just watered. I'll add some more today, scratch it in and do my weekly recharge. I'm starting to see some signs of what I believe is potassium deficiency, however, so I'm kind of concerned, will include a pic. I veg'd these 2 plants out for 2-3 months and just switched 4 days ago to flower and started my organics last week, so I was worried I might run into some issues switching nutes like this, probably should've just waited til next grow tbh. If it continues to progress with the deficiencies what should I do? Just switch back to my FF trio or try to pH naturally with lemon or something? Thanks very much for all the help.

6. Here's some pics of the plants and the deficiency. Also want to mention that I added a bit of powdered garden lime to my soil a few weeks in as my soil pH was <5.0. Can always add more of it if needed.

Attached Files:

7. so you were using the bottled nutrients up until flowering?
    might just be easier overall to finish off the the grow with the bottles. than for next grow you can start with a complete soil you built with good compost and EWC's and you will have a true seed to harvest "water only" soil and no need to PH,
    changing mid-grow is just going to complicate things imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeah I was, I got a little too excited with organics, whoops. I've been organic for about a week and added that craft blend mix as a top dressing, its NPK is 4-4-2. Think I should just do a pH'd watering today and continue my FF trio afterward?

9. yep, just continue your bottled trio for this grow and you can go full whole-hog organic for next grow.
    the 442 frets sure won't hurt anything and by the time they breakdown and the plant can use it they will be finished anyway. the EWC's can always ONLY be good even if using bottled nutes, although probably no need for them at all while using the bottles. the bottles are suppling everything, not the soil. save them for your next grow and your soil mix.

10. Will do, thank you oh so very much. I knew switching nutes would bite me in the ass but forgot apparently, much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The answer to this question isn't a black/white, one size fits all situation. For most people there won't be a need to pH at all. This will depend almost entirely on your water supply. Most people will need a buffer/liming agent, while others will need to pH or use sulfur. Others may not be able to use their water supply unless it's filtered with an RO machine. Try searching for a water report or call your local water department for one. Post it up and we can come up with an appropriate plan for your specific situation.
    RD

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Fwiw, that doesn't look like a water pH issue to me.

just saying,

P-

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I did what you did and gave up PHing my water once I went organic with Build a Soil but I still let my hose and tap water sit for a day or two before using it so the chlorine evaporates.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sorry for the late reply, been away the last few days. Found a water report, will be posted below, thank you. If it helps the TDS of my water from the faucet after being left to dechlorinate for a couple days is at 60PPM and the pH is around 7.2.

Attached Files:

15. What do you think it could be? Since going back to feeding with the FF trio it seems to have stopped spreading, only the lower leaves were affected.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I think you have 70% happy frog which if I remember correctly is extremely light and has a ton of perlite, and 30% perlite. So basically you have no cation ion exchange capacity and no real humus source. In addition, it looks like you are not utilizing a mulch layer. If you are putting craft mix on top of your soil and letting it get dry, it's probably not breaking down and becoming available to your plants. Then compost teas twice a month.

Long story short, I think they're hungry. ;)

P-

• Like Like x 1
  17. Your water supply is perfectly within the acceptable range. The pH of water is relatively insignificant by itself. This is where a lot of the confusion arises from. It's quite possible to have high pH water that does not effect the pH of your soil. High pH alone is like a dog that's all bark and no bite. Combine high pH with high alkalinity and now you've got a dog with bite. Alkalinity buffers or helps resist the waters pH from changing once it hits the soil. Salinity and sodicity are other common issues.

Here's are some guidelines on water quality if you'd like to know for yourself.
    RD

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Appreciate the help and the info, I now understand it much better. Thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 1