Should I be concerned? What is this?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by wallywally, Apr 30, 2015.

1. #1 wallywally, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
    Whazup blades,

So im a little concerned I was browsing through my plants this morning and one of the four seemed peculiarly off....

It had twisted leaves in some places, and alot of the fan leaves, I would say 30-40% had 4 fingers instead of the usual 5. Also there were some new growth leaves that look like they got fried from the cfl, my friend thinks she might have put it to close to the light though.

The plants are about 2 months old right now..

Posted pictures for reference.
    *That last pic is an overhead view of the plant in question.*

- I also posted a pic of the watering schedule.

BACKGROUND INFO:

Bought 4 Skywalker OG off a reliable grower and all were doing pretty well. They are now about 2 months old and all of them are at or over 2ft.tall.

Temp has been steady between 72-77F

Humidity has been steady between 40-52%

I have them in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and im not using any ferts or nutes.

Im feeding them tap water which I have left out open for at least 48 hrs so that the chlorine dissipates.

We water them twice a day, once in the morning (when the lights switch on) and once before the lights go off.

Im not sure what the pH or ppm is as I do not have meters or any means of testing that.

Under 21,200 lumens of cfl 5000k temp (daylight for veg.) *Along with 3 other plants.

They have an oscillating fan blowing on them on low

Photoperiod 18/6 for veg.

Also, if anyone knows why It looks so sparse?

Thanks guys!

If there's any other info I can provide let me know!

**I water them with about 4 water bottles worth of water a day, I've been doing that for the past 8 days.**

Attached Files:

2. ph issue, combined with overwatering

3. #3 wallywally, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
    So do you recommend getting a pH meter and pH up & down and then just calibrate it to optimal levels? Would that be the most accurate way to go about it?

4. Whats the picture of all the water for? [​IMG]

So we have agreed to water every 3 days...right?

Repot in some fresh soil and a much larger container and that baby will be ready to flower soon

5. #5 wallywally, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
    I water the plants every day. I try to wait till the soil is dry. I leave those water bottles out for 48 hrs to dissipate the chlorine, thats what the tags are for that say 4/30.

I give each plant about a water bottles worth of water, if that makes sense....:rolleyes:

6. If your watering everyday, your watering too much. Learn to water properly. Let the pots dry out

7. Alright thanks for the feedback killset. Much appreciated

8. #8 Deleted member 839659, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    From what I've understood PH up/down doesn't work when growing in soil. Don't add anything that will alter the PH and the soil will correct the issue by itself.

edit : apparently this is incorrect.

This is extremely inaccurate information. Take for instance Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil(which also just happens to be what this grower is using) had a huge batch of soil that had a dangerously low PH level straight out of the bag. I have seen postings of it as low as 5.2. Trust me that soil is not going to fix itself. If you are not making every effort to give your plant proper PH'ed water/nutes you are asking for problems.

Get a PH meter. Adjust your water as best you can to 6.5. I will also say it sounds like you are watering to much. Let the pots dry out till the top  1 1/2" or 2" of soil is DRY. Water till you have slight run off out the bottom. DO NOT water again till the top is dry again.

If they are really 2 months old and you have not fed them anything you really need to figure out a fertilizer program for the rest of the grow. You are kidding yourself if you think you can go without it. The purple stems are most likely caused by a Phosphorous  deficiency.  

11. Wow thanks Hotbunz, guess I got my work cut out for me. Better get to it...+rep for the help