Short Story about the future of space and earth.

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Daydr33mer, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Hey guys, this is a story that's been bouncing around in my head for a while. This is a fictional story but it's based on a very real possibility that we will see in the years to come. Read this story if you love space or are curious about our future.

The Kessler Syndrome

"Another piece of space junk has fallen to earth." Reports a journalist on an old TV, the kind your parents used to have. "The third one this month, the debris was discovered by Farmer John Huxley. Mr Huxley was sitting on the front porch of his farm estate in rural Kansas, U.S.A late last night when he saw what looked to be a ball of fire come down from the sky and land on his property followed by a loud boom. When John went to investigate the area this morning he discovered the piece of twisted metal about the size of a car tire sitting near his property's divider fence."

A young boy watching the TV with his legs crossed sitting in the center of a living room gets up and walks outside to the front of his suburban home. His father, man in his late 40's with a face weathered by stress and worry yet a slight look of contentment was taking the rubbish out. The boy looked up into the dark night sky. There weren't many stars visible anymore, it was quite dark but if you stared long enough you were sure to see what looked like a shooting star. This in actual fact was space junk, debris falling to earth and being burnt up in the atmosphere. Most of this junk was small enough that it would be totally consumed before the time is reached the stratosphere but sometimes a large enough piece of junk with a large enough mass would make it all the way to the
    earth.

The boy says to his father "Dad, I wish I could fly up into space one day."

The father smiles and looks at his son who is still staring up into the dark night sky. The moon shining down onto the front of his face. He replies "I'm sorry to tell you kiddo, but no one goes up there anymore."

Son: "Why not?"

Father: "Because of all the space junk. After all the space expeditions in the great race to solve the mysteries of the universe and the expanding human population needing to find a new planet to live on there is too much junk left behind which has been caught up in our Earth's orbit. That's why we can't go to space anymore"

Son: "But how did all the junk get there?"

The father forced a disconcerting smile and took his son by the shoulder as he walked him back inside he said

"We put it there"

The idea behind this story is that eventually one day, there will be so much space junk orbiting our planet that it will be far too dangerous to travel into space. Most of the satellites still in orbit have either been destroyed from collisions or have been decommissioned due to lack of available maintenance. Communications with mobile phones, internet connections and digital TV have all been rendered useless.

[​IMG]