Short Poem about a Car Accident

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Vard0n, Mar 10, 2010.

1. I was in a near fatal head on collision with a tractor trailer over the summer and a passenger in my car went through the windshield from the back seat, yet survived. I wrote a short poem four line poem about it.

The king of glass, he rains,
    And the balloons inflate in celebration.
    The wine of life, it strains,
    Poured to St.Christopher, our youth's libation.

Explanation: I made the poem so succinct because the crash was a short exact moment in time but it had such a boisterous effect on my life. The use of the word "rains" is for the homophone effect, it refers to "reign" in that the glass had control over my friends life and the word "rain" in that glass fell in every direction. The balloons inflating are the air bags, which are impulsive in there work. The wine of life is blood, which "strained" through my windshield and the hood of my car. The "offering" of blood was to St. Christopher because he is the patron saint of travel and we were somehow protected that day from what seemed like a guaranteed death. It is a libation to our youth, because, despite all the blood that was shed that day, we all survived, yet on the other hand it could be a libation of our youth because it took a large fragment of my innocence.

2. I haven't read the explanation as I'd like to discover the meaning, or indeed hidden meanings myself. To me from the words and hearing the story behind it brings me overwhelmed with hope and longing for tomorrow's day; that one moment in time where you realised how precious life truly is.

"The wine of life, it strains,
    Poured to St.Christopher, our youth's libation."

The life of ancestors been, the regeneration of life and hope within the new generation: yourself.

That's just my interpretation of it anyway, although it most likely isn't yours. It's touched me, truly it has. I hope to read more from you, or even an expansion on this.

3. Very deep and impacting - it's intense, I didn't even pick up the rhyming scheme till the second read because I was thinking about the words. Really well done, props brother ;)