Shopping for Qb light

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Foxymel, Feb 17, 2019.

1. You can get as close as 16" or so with the right strains but some can't take that close at full power. Some tough sativa leaning genetics could get you as close as 12-14" but that is absolute closest and you may have some burning at that distance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. How are qb’s at heat output? As in if the tent is in my room and I’m running qb lights, is my room going to get hot? I have an in-line fan and clip on oscillating fan. I’m going to get a carbon filter when I need it. I don’t want to have my bedroom be hot! I live in a warm state. How does the heat output compare to LED’s and COB LED’s?

3. Here is what I got for my 5x10 area
    if you are going to do both veg and bloom I suggest the 3500K
    8 0f these with drivers and hangers - no heat sink needed

Here is the contact I used
    He is awesome and real helpful
    Alwen Peng of Bava
    alwen@szbava.com

4. Is this light
    I really only plan on growing one plant inside to start with. I’m already growing one outside- my auto Tangerine Dream. My AK-47 autos are supposed to be here this Saturday and I’m going to grow that indoors. If I were to grow 2 plants in my tent at the same time, would this light be sufficient? I’m hopefully correctly assuming it would be good for one!

5. Realize that you'll never make the intense light you need for good buds without at least some heat. That said there is no other lighting system that can put out comparable light levels and make less heat so if you want the intensity and not the heat they really are the best option.

Any grow space should be ducted outside. I do see way too many people trying to run this short circuit vent system when they grow thinking that their grow is small enough they can just dump the heat out and then recycle it back into the tent to get heated up more, never removing moisture, and that won't be a problem. It is in a few ways. The tent doesn't get the air changes you want for fresh co2 and oxygen to the plants. You get too high of a humidity and you have issues with proper temps.

If you size an exhaust fan correctly so that after the light runs for 2-3 hours you have an 80 degree temp at the top of the plant canopy that's what you want. This can be accomplished with a cooling thermostat or a variable speed controller on the exhaust fan.

Any of the qb lights that have a meanwell HLG series driver will have a built in dimmer as well so you can use a combination of exhaust speed control and the dimmer/light distance to get your 80 degree target temp at the top of the plant. Should be easy if you do it right.

6. And another question. In order to not get myself electrocuted, is it worth it to pay $25 extra to have it assembled? Or is it really easy for non-electrician folk like myself? Accident prone....

7. If possible you should always vent the exhausted air out of the room I believe. Though a window or into the roof if possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. If you buy the complete kit with all the parts I've never built anything that's more easy. Once you do one you'll go, "That's what I was scared of?"
    Have you watched led gardners build videos?

Don't worry about tinning the ends of the wires with solder. They are easy to insert into the board connectors.

If $25 doesn't mean much to you then go for it but since you're running a bestva light I would assume that you might want to save $25 since it's very easy.

9. So, do you mean you just need to vent outside if your not running filters or even if you are? That would be really tricky for me to try to vent outside. Logistically.

10. Filters or not you have an enclosed space with living plants that need to breath and a heat source that needs to be managed. The only way to do it correctly is to pump it outside. I use a window vent since I rent. You can build a window vent kit that you can't see from the outside and looks like the window is just shaded. If you have to worry about stinking up the yard then you'll have to get a carbon filter.

Watch this video for an excellent covert window vent build. Window vent build starts at about 2min 56 sec.

11. I don’t have a bestva light. I technically am not running any light as my girls outside. But I bought a 300w Viparspectra led. Which I’m either returning or using for early veg. The soldering iron was what got me when I watched a video.

12. Here's a link to a build walk thru (there are others but... it's the same :))

It seems simple enough (and thanks to @Tbone Shuffle for alerting me to it to begin with)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Okay, so here’s where the logistical difficulties come into play. I have those stupid old-fashioned crank windows in most of my house. I literally have 2 windows that aren’t crank and one is in the dining room and one in my daughter’s room.

14. Understand and these were literally plug and go no wiring needed.
    I would contact alwen and see what he says - he will hook you up

15. Ha - - - while I was out looking for it, it got posted already, lol

16. Thank you! I’ll have to give that a try. I’m not a complete retard, so I should be able to do this myself. Maybe.

17. And yet another question. Would I be able to add on to this kit in the future if I wanted to?

18. The video covers that difficulty. You just have to keep the window cracked about 2" and put the vent setup on the inside.