Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

Shells from salted peanuts ok in compost?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by medical grower, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Now that I've posted this in the right place (ahem) :eek:

Hey, guys. I have a small amount (around five gallons worth) of organic materials composting in a cooler in my grow room to make ACT's. I have been adding shells from salted peanuts to the mix (probably around 1/10th of what's in there) and was wondering if the salt on the shells is going to cause me a problem... or not...

Sorry to post such a simple question, but couldn't find anything about this on Google.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

M.G.

2. There is a reason why we prefer organics over salt based chemical fertilizers. ;)

Soak and rinse them off before use.

3. Peanut hulls tend to break down slowly in whole form. After blanching them, you may want to give them a whirl in a blender to help speed decomposition.Peanut hulls are the choice bedding material for the large commercial bait worm farms around here in the peanut/cotton belt.

4. Can't be fixed or at the very least it's not worth the risk.

Sodium is death to soil microbes, plant roots, etc.

5. Thanks, guys! It didn't even occur to me at first (the salt that is) and then the light bulb lit and I went "Doh"! I thought they would make a nice "woody" addition to the mulch. Glad to know I can rinse/blanch them off and use them. I hate unsalted peanuts! I dumped the batch of compost I had going with the salted shells in it, as Lumper said, not worth the risk! ;)

6. I've done worse. Much worse.