Shelf Life of Cannabis

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MrSmoke, Aug 31, 2010.

1. As the title implies, I'm curious about the shelf life of cannabis in general.

I'm absolutely growing far more than I need, and since I have no friends locally who mess with it, I'm wondering what I'll do with all my harvests.

Selling it is totally out of the question.

So, how long can I store it? Should it be kept in air tight containers? Should I consider buying one of those vacuum sealers?

I'd prefer to keep the "stash" out of the house. I'll probably dig a hole in the woods and store it underground if I get too much of a surplus.

Hah, "too much bud" - thats a problem most people would want to have eh?

2. I know how you feel. I had this 'problem' when i grew in Spain. I ended up with around 40 oz's one year and it's hard to smoke all of that quickly :p

As long as it is dried correctly you shouldn't have any problems with storing it up to a year+.

I had mine in an air tight container and opened it a couple times a week. Had my bud for around 9 months before it ran dry(or around that) and i never had any problem with mold. Obviously the quality will diminish over a long period of time. Just make sure you have all the conditions right and it will last longer. Cool dark place etc.

3. You can always give your shot at makin edibles and hash? That would cut a decent chunk of nug out of your supply.

But then you have that stuff to handle.

I wish I had "problems" like this.

4. Great info. Thanks for that.

No idea what I'll get from the current harvest, but I'm sure it will be more than enough to last me until the next harvest.

I smoke one bowl per night, maybe two on the weekends. I can make a half oz last a couple months!

The wife asked me this question last night and it got me thinking, she asked "are we going to have like trashbags full of weed here soon or something?", I promptly replied, "If were lucky!".

5. Also a good idea! Maybe I could make edibles and deep freeze them.

6. Just as another option to consider (and looking for answers from blades/bladies here on this one), what about long-term storage in another medium such as canna-oil or canna-butter?

Just thinking that the potency issue might be eliminated if you made a big batch of canna-oil. I'm thinking that the THC being suspended in oil might allow it to retain it's potency for much longer. Also, I wonder if cooling or even freezing would also help.

Just a thought. Any blades care to comment out there on this?

7. Yeah make loads of brownies or make hash and cook it in with spaghetti sauce. That spaghetti sauce will be amazing. :p

Keep the rest of it in mason jars and you can even bury the jars then because its good condition down there. (cool, dark and no one will find them)
    Just dont forget to open them once in awhile in case you still have some moisture in there

8. It should last a long time, but remember to keep it in an air tight container, in a dark room, and somewhere that isn't hot.