Shed Some Light

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ponsrow, Aug 19, 2010.

1. I am interested in starting a small grow box 2x4x6-feet for 2-3 plants with an HID lighting system. From what I've read MH's produce light in the blue spectrum, excellent for the vegetative stage. Whereas HPS's produce light in the yellow to red spectrum, great for flowering. Being the small operation that it is I'd like to avoid spending loads of money on both lighting systems but do not want to jeopardize yield by doing so. I've read about conversion bulbs being able to produce an HPS spectrum while using the same ballest setup for your MH bulbs and vise versa. If this is the case would I be better off purchasing a MH setup and a MH to HPS conversion bulb or a HPS set up and a HPS to MH conversion bulb.
    Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. You can get a switchable ballast and use a real MH bulb and a real HPS bulb too. That's what I do.

3. just buy the ballasts wich allow both mh and hps to be used in most digi ballsts now do this this will allow ya to put nh in for veg n hps for flower or buy a duel spec hps lamp wich has added blue for veg n red for flower! ive got the futuretec wich is dimmable n allows both hps n mh have a look about digi ballast r dropping in price !

4. Right, 4 options for a light setup that avoids two complete systems:

- Get a HPS system and a conversion MH bulb
    - Get a MH system and a conversion HPS bulb
    - Get a switchable ballast and both MH and HPS bulbs
    - Get a digital ballast and both MH and HPS bulbs

If you are starting from scratch I definitely recommend the last option. Digital ballast run much quieter, much cooler, and often deliver more power more consistently to the bulb resulting in both higher lumen output and longer bulb life. The other ways to go you are dealing with cheaper but older technologies, good solutions if you are already partly invested but best to start off with a digital ballast setup.

Good supplier that many on this site get their stuff from is HTGsupply-dot-com.

For your space you could get a 400w or 600w complete system, brand new with digital ballast and both MH and HPS, for under $300.

5. No way! under 300? Thats unreal. When you guys started talking about Digital ballasts i was thinking it would end up more along the lines of 5 to 6 bills. Never the less, thats pretty solid.

Another question, with the box being of the smaller size (2x3x6) i would need a cooler for the 400watt bulbs, right? perhaps a system that runs the exhaust through the intake of the lamp, then putting a carbon filter at the exit of the lamp and finally leaving the box. This would dissipate heat from the lamp and filter the exiting air. killing two birds with one stone. Any issues with a setup like that?

6. If you aren't going bigger than 400W you could use a ceramic metal halide bulb in a 400W HPS fixture (do NOT use a digital ballast). If your ballast is separate, try not to have a cord over 15' in length. Advantages: 1)CMH is nice and fat in both blue and red ends of the spectrum so you don't need both MH and HPS. 2)Less heat. Disadvantage is 400W limit.