Shaving the stem and burying it?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by KittensOnPCP, Apr 14, 2008.

1. I heard you can make more roots by shaving a little off of the stem and then putting soil around it. I tried it with the runt of my 6 plants named "Little Toke" :D. She's already flowering and i'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. She only has about 4 nodes while her sisters have 9+ nodes and are getting big 'ol buds. Anyone know if shaving a little of the stem and burying it works? If not, I possibly killed one of my girls earlier.

2. actually no reason to shave it I always filled my solo cups I started seedling in 3/4 of the way and when the top leaves would poke above the rim of the cup I would top off the cup with soil and the roots will develop from the part of the stem that is now covered in medium. Anytime the stem gets completely covered with medium it will grow roots I have even seen roots come from the base of my main stems and shoot into the soil it is pretty impressive.

3. Well the roots probably have 4 inches of soil above them and there has been nothing coming out of the stem for the 1+ month they've been in their new homes.

4. Are you keeping the medium wet? If so they can sit there happy as a clam and not develop new roots fast.

For cloning, I like to wet the medium good when I first stick the clone in, put it in a humidity dome (vent twice a day) only mist the plants once a day, and let the medium almost dry out completely, this causes the roots to search out water and grow fast. By the time the medium drys out (usually a week under cfl) the clones should have enough roots to transplant, if not, water one time more and repeat the cycle.

Shaving the stem is good to do, just not too deep or the whole stem. Just about 3/4" from the bottom and on 1 side (1/4) of the stem. Just brush your razor blade across it and take off a thin thin thin extra thin thin thin layer off.

If you shave off too much, the clones have no way to feed.

It is true that any part of that stalk buried will grow roots, this just speeds up the process.
    I too have had stilted roots on my plants before.

5. Click the link in my sig.