SG stem vs DG disk vs Stereo Matrix etc..

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by poopdolla, Nov 15, 2012.

1. We all know these bongs are at the top of the list for 500$ or less, but which bong is really the best in terms of smoothness and / or flavor. And how about designs from apix and 2012 bc, how do they match up?

2. [quote name='"poopdolla"']We all know these bongs are at the top of the list for 500$ or less, but which bong is really the best in terms of smoothness and / or flavor. And how about designs from apix and 2012 bc, how do they match up?[/quote]

SG. Kingstems are great for flower, tasty and smooth. Stem8 retails at 500 prodo. One of the smoothest tubes evah. Apix is Badass for the price tag. Stemline to disk would do yah nice. I'm not big into BC there are others better. Not a big fan of mobius but they are great no doupt.
    Edit-DG is def not a good DD tube.

3. [quote name='"G13adsAMY"']

SG. Kingstems are great for flower, tasty and smooth. Stem8 retails at 500 prodo. One of the smoothest tubes evah. Apix is Badass for the price tag. Stemline to disk would do yah nice. I'm not big into BC there are others better. Not a big fan of mobius but they are great no doupt.
    Edit-DG is def not a good DD tube.[/quote]

What makes the dg not so good? And what are your chances of actually getting a stem/8 in say a months time

4. depends, I think it would be tough to get unless you had a boromarket account which cost $50

5. you can get one pretty easily in a month, just would have to pay about $700

6. [quote name='"magnificent7"']

you can get one pretty easily in a month, just would have to pay about $700[/quote]

Mind as well go all out and get a pillar for that much

7. [quote name='"poopdolla"']We all know these bongs are at the top of the list for 500$ or less, but which bong is really the best in terms of smoothness and / or flavor. And how about designs from apix and 2012 bc, how do they match up?[/quote]

DG has the most diffusion of the 3 but worst for retaining flavor. Also most drag.

Möbius Stereo Matrix is 2nd in diffusion don't know how well it retains flavor though. Second most drag.

SG Stemline still has good diffusion but probably not quite as good as the other 2. This retains flavor best. Also least drag. From what I hear though the alot of people prefer the mini kings..

It's hard to say how 2012 BC compares without knowing what tube your looking at but Brian's a good artist. His work is usually pretty pricy if your paying retail.

8. DG will strip your buds of flavor, but its pretty freakin smooth. I think the stereo matrix is almost as smooth as my dg, but some of my friends say its just as smooth so i don't really know.

The dg won't have much drag as long as you don't put a foot of water in it, and idc what anyone on this site tells you, the stereo matrix does have a minimal initial chug when you first pull from it, similar to the dg.

the sg stem is the harshest out of all of these, but has minimal drag. you could always get one and add an ash catcher to it, that might help with the smoothness. you'll get the most flavor out of this tube though

But it really depends what your smoking. if your going for concentrates id recommend the stereo matrix or the stemline before i recommend the dg, although the dg is fine for dabbing as long as you put a minimal amount of room temperature water in it.

When it comes down to it.. all these tubes are smooth, I've hit them all, and all of them will be fine for dabbing (idc what anyone tells you.. you'll still feel the effect of your dab out of the dg and the stereo matrix.... trust me) and all of them will be great for flower. so the choice is up to you. As far as apix goes, his work is obviously not up to par with guys like sov or mobius.. but for the money, i don't think theres anything better. And 2012bc makes undoubtably fantastic glass. You should check out the 2012bc low riders, great for flower and a lot of them come with DI (male) joints now, so you can smoke concentrate outa them too. And also, the guy above me seems to know what he's talking about

9. Yea apix has a really nice worked kingstem/disk on his site for the price of a non worked one of those others tubes, and i personally love my stem/disk, just the right amount of diffusion before it starts to hinder the buds taste imo. In the end tho, youll be stisfied with any and all of those!

10. Thanks for your input guys! Because i dont really care for flavor i think i will be checking out the dg or the matrix!

11. Just thought id post this beautiful pic comparing the 2. Not my pic just found it on instagram.

image-1833641627.jpg

12. My Matrix is like breathing fuckin air. No Lie.

13. i have a DG and a stereo matrix, both are great tubes and the few post above me pretty accurately described the difference between the 2.

the DG has noticeable drag, and not just initial drag its there all the time(if you run the correct water level of about 1/4 an inch over the disc its not that bad, if you put a freakin liter of water in there to make the bubbles stack 2 feet high the drag is alot worse). the larger the DG tube you get, the less drag there will be. my 17" doesnt have that much drag at all, my buddy has a smaller one like 13 or 14 inches and his feels like im breathing through a garden hose compared to mine. (although i think going from hitting mine to hitting his an hour later makes it seem like more of a difference then it really is)
    the DG fritted disc do kill alot of flavor, you can tell 2 strains apart bit you dont get any mouthful of flavor like with a dry piece.
    that being said, my DG fritted disc tube is the smoothest piece i have ever hit, and is my most used daily driver tube.

then theres the stereo matrix. it has a small initial drag as the water sucks up through the matrix, after that theres basically no drag at all. (again this is running the right water level, if you fill it 3 inched above the perc its going to have a ton of drag) the matrix is not quite as smooth as the DG, but its close and is still amount the top of the smoothest tubes iv hit. unlike the DG the matrix doesnt kill as much flavor, some just like any water pipe but not alot.

overall, i like my DG fritted disc tube better, but its only due to personal preference not any shortcoming in design or function. why? my DG tube has a male 26mm joint, with a 26/18mm chimney adapter that also functions as a dome, this makes it an all in one for me. its an oil rig that holds an 18mm nail, then when you decide to use it for flowers you can replace the nail with a fritted pre-filter thats keeps any and all half burnt crap out of your water, eliminating any need for an ash catcher.

14. [quote name='"Pizzaroll"']Just thought id post this beautiful pic comparing the 2. Not my pic just found it on instagram.

[/quote]

Daaaaayum !!

15. I dont know if you have used any of BC tubes, but he for sure knows his stuff, giant saw cuts on his inlines. I have 2 of his tubes and they are both one of my favorite pieces. He has a lot of skill, getting pretty good at millies too

16. [quote name='"ZionLion2"']
    I dont know if you have used any of BC tubes, but he for sure knows his stuff, giant saw cuts on his inlines. I have 2 of his tubes and they are both one of my favorite pieces. He has a lot of skill, getting pretty good at millies too[/quote]

I've tried a netline/top hat. It lasted on the table longer than my DGFD. I still have my Bacon micro netline.

17. #17 ZionLion2, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
    I have netline/top hat and one of his 2010 king bubs that is awesome, best piece I have ever hit (but that is partially due to the carbon filter and glycerine coil I put on it)

18. Whats up with the left over smoke after you clear the matrix's i see it all the time!!

19. Stemlines do it too. Bubbles are so little and get trapped with smoke until after you let the diffusion settle. Just a quick second clear takes care of that always.

20. A lot of high end highly diffused tubes tend to do that (Stemlines, Matrixes, FDs, EFS donuts, etc.), just take a pause at the end of the clear without pulling away, let it settle, then a quick half second suck to finish your clear.