Sexing outdoor plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by walter7093, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Hey

I've only grown fem seeds before but this year all be growing with non fem seeds

Question about sexing..

Will they sex in veg or flowering?
    And
    Do I need to know sex before I clone?

Hope someone can help me out!

Walter7093!

2. Check out all the forums in here. You can find a wealth of valuable info on these pages. Sexing outdoor is no different than indoor. Just read and absorb all the info you can. There are some real experts that start threads and post grow journals in here. Read on dude! Keep it green :bongin:

3. #3 clodhopper, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
    You need to know the sex of the plants before you clone them

Are you starting your seeds indoors or outdoors walter? It matters when it comes to sexing.

Usually cannabis determines it sexuality between the 4th and 6th weeks of growth and then it displays that sexuality through the expression a preflower shortly afterwards. Preflowers are exhibited in the 5th or 6th node on the 5th or 6th week of growth. Female preflowers are often tiny with 2 tiny white hairs and males preflowers present as a small knot or bump in the node. Nearly all cannabis strains present this preflower but in some strains the flower is very subtle. A magnifying glass is required.

DONT TOP THE PLANTS! Topping a cannabis plant eliminates the expression of the preflower and a grower that has topped his plants may not know the sex litterally until july outdoors and indoor growers may not know until flowering begins. Topping completly eliminaties the preflower expression in cannabis .

One other note. There are other signs of sexualtiy beyond the preflower. Males are often talller and have a tufted look and can be lighter in color. If the branches only have a growing tip and one leaf node below that, it is likely a male. Females demonstrate numerous leaf nodes along the length of the branch even in the seedling stage. I have often seperated my plants even before the preflower is expressed and just use the preflower as confirmation.
    When a plant displays a female preflower, the plant is a female. 15% of plants that demonstrate a male preflower actually end up being female, so when i see a male preflower, i immediately look at nodal display, height, color and other considerations for confirmation.

good luck