Sexing methods before pre-flowers show

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Raw Basix, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Hey there,
    First off, i'm sorry i'm new to GC and i didn't know where exactly to post this thread, so if there already is thread like this or it should be somewhere else, please let a stoner know

Now, i'm just curious as to anyone's experience with sexing plants before pre-flowers show.

My neighbour, a full blown nazarite rasta who has been planting since he was 4 years old ( i live in the mountains in a small tropical island), told me there are a few ways to tell without pre-flowers showing, namely:

All the nodes(side branches) are spaced a lot further apart from each other on males compared to females
    the female leaves are more zig-zaggy and pointy compared to male leaves

And he says he also sexes by seeds:
    He said that female seeds have a big depression like a crater at the round end of the seed compared to males and that either the female or male seed has a white-ish line going down the side edge of the seed (i got it mixed up and forgot which one excuse me)
    Interestingly enough, i was searching online a bit after he said that and found this(check attachment)

So yeah i was just wondering if anyone has heard of these methods, use them etc or what your guys take is on this shit. It seems to work for him, cz he showed me one of his plantations 2weeks old and then 4 weeks into flowering, and all female from the get go...
    Or maybe it's the certain strain of weed? I live at the equator and nearly all local weed is either pure sativa or Sativa Dom (except for my weed, only proper indica in a whole country haha ) and his seems to be pure sativa (aver. about 10-14feet, some maybe 16 and took 6 and a half months til harvest!!!) but i cant really take my phone for pics cz its rough terrain getting there, climbing cliffs and swimming through rivers and shit...anyway...cheers for any input, peace

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. hi there Raw Basix .ive read that about sexing seeds before..here at GC ,,,i still dont really know if it works or not ,,i was sure some here said that they were going to try it ,,,,but its a good idea to try out ,,,me i just grow fem seed ,,,be handy though for growers with large grows to try it out ,,,mac

3. okay cool, i'll try find those threads tnx. Yeah i prefer growing fem too, especially indoor, but its a bitch to order for me...also yeah for big crops that kind of sexing would be ideal, i live in the mountains with multiple big fields about 1200 plants, but me and my friends dont have plenty of time to regularly check on them especially when its time to sex them and i dont grow commercially so i dont really need to make seeds for every cycle and prefer to have sensi so thats why i was looking into it, but yet again there are random plantations spread out everywhere so my plants would prob still get pollinated. Either way i just found a remote grow spot away from other fields and got me a few hundred fresh local sativa seeds so i will try it out properly and report back in 6 to 8 weeks, the sativas here take ages to start flowering (year long 12/12, maybe thats y?) Anyway thanks for your input mac

and incase youre wondering how1200 plants isnt commercial (well the quantity is i guess), me and some friends are starting a grassroots(pun intended) campaign to flood our country with good quality sensi compltetly free of charge along with informational leaflets about the 'erb (i live on a tiny isl;and with pop. 90,000), anyway i'm ramble way too much apologies hehe, take care man. Peace

• Like Like x 1
  4. lol sounds a good thing you got there Raw ,flooding the island with free weed ,,,,think i'll be on my way there ,swimming all the way ,,:) mac

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yeah its pretty dope alright...3 years ago when i was still living in ireland i only had 1 small grow under my belt (5 plants) now look at me...Haha welcome anytime my brother, hopefully by then we'll have overgrown the govt. :D Peace

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anyone else have any quick ways to sex a plant after it sprouts? Been using the take a cutting and treat it like a clone and put into 12-12 lighting but it can take weeks, I had a guy tell me he can put a dark paper bag over a branch for 24 hours and it would show sex, has anyone tried it and is it consistent? Or does the 18-6 lighting just send it right back into veg?

Jar is always half full

7. I don't believe it for one second and here's why this isn't a definite ...every or 99 percebt of plants are born with the ability to grow both female and make flowers untill one chromosome takes over and the plant decides , there's really no way to tell not by seeds anyway ...that indent is where the ovuse was attached to the inside of the pod or the calyx and id think that , and I don't know 100 percent but I'd think that how it's attached to the plant that causes that not whether it's male or female with seeds you never know till you know

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. #8 Raw Basix, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Well some things to help ensure a plant becomes female:
    more nitrogen and less potassium, as little stress as possible, more humidity, lower temps help to bare females i think. Well i don't know much about clones, and i havent tried the 24hr dark period so cant help ya there, but you have to wait around 3 weeks before cannabis plants are able to show sex anyway, whether auto's or forced photo. And yeah 18-6 would send it back to veg

9. Thanks for clarifying with some basic biology, that makes complete sense. I'd be inclined to believe that too as i'm sure if you could tell a plant's sex by seeds then all the breeders etc would know about it surely, not to mention if even feminized seeds can become hermie's during flower then i would presume that the genes are quite flexible no?

10. Ok thanks bro appreciate it

Jar is always half full

11. yep thats what ive seen and read myself 'Raw Basix" ..i dont grow very much now thats why i choose to grow femmed seed ,,mac,,
    PS.....fuk me ive just seen the date on the posts on here 2016 ,,,lol...