sex pre-determined or controllable?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by outdoorchamp, Apr 23, 2010.

1. hey all, I'm wondering if the sex of a plant is pre determined from the germination of a seed or is there a certain time period (a week?) from which the sex can be guided into being a female?

I have many seedlings started and am targeting the pH of my soil around 6 to 6.5.
    They are currently under incandescent lights since they'll be going outside once it begins t stay warm enough at night.

Thanks for the input.
    :smoking:

2. Im pretty sure its all genetics and is pre-determined.

3. Ok so all you can really do is keep the pH in the right area, have a good soil mix, a light period in sync with the sun and hope for the best?

4. Exactly just treat it with the most delicate care and take care of it and when the time comes to begin flowering you'll know then.

5. Ok thats good news to me then.

Thanks for the advice man.
    :wave:

6. Sex is predetermined, but stress can force a female seed to become male, so keep her as happy as possible for the best odds.

7. People can stress a plant in a certain way at the end of growth to produce truly feminized and non hermaphrodite seeds that contain no male genes. But the sex is basically pre determined and can't be usefully changed other than for seeds at the end.

This is not to be confused with plants that turn hermie at the end and produce seeds. Seeds from hermies will always be female to start and will always turn hermie later on. Any hermie plant should be killed and isolated immediately.

8. to become hermaphrodite, a female can't become a male.

Yes, sex is pre-determined genetically, MJ has either XX or XY chromosomes just like us people.

9. not true. how do you think feminized seeds are produced? Yes seeds from hermies risk having a genetic predisposition to turning hermaphrodite.

Not all seeds from a hermie will become hermie, only if the hermaphrodite gene is present.