Sex, Love and Evolution

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by chivo, Nov 12, 2008.

1. I was in the library yesterday, skimming through the shelves and trying to decide on a topic for my next speech. I came to a book titled: Sex in History.

Interesting, eh...?

I began flipping through the pages and reading. The first chapter focused on our ancestral line and how our bipedal breakthrough had a huge influence on our development. It not only affected our hunting abilities as we were now able to launch projectiles (two hands, two feet as opposed to fout feet) but it changed the way we had sex.
    No longer did the male penetrate from behind as both partners now faced each other. The book goes on to explain how this affected the evolution of our characteristics (favorable characteristics were passed on while the reverse is true for unfavorable characteristics).

This got me to thinking how the concept love evolved...

After several million years, sex went from being the evolutionary goal (passing on our genes) to something that was almost recreational - it became something to enjoy, a pleasureful experience. From this, I'm sure the idea of love sprang forth.

One could also argue that it sprang from that bond that ancient man and woman acquired. The manifestation of that intimate friendship. Im sure they struggled together. Trying to find a cave, hunting etc.

Well whatever the reason, it is clear that love must have evolved at some point, somehow
    I'm interested in what others have to say on this, what do yall think? How did it evolve, how did it come into being?

2. I wouldnt say that the actualy "love" feeling has evolved, but how we perceive and obtain it has evolved.
    Rather than love I would say "Seduction". Seduction has evolved in many ways. Too much for a stoner like me to type. If your interested in a great read look for a book by Robert Greene called "Power of Seduction". Lots of interesting history in there.

3. It is ignorant to say that love is an emotion only humans can experience.

4. +rep, look at doves and geese. They stay together til death do them part.

5. #5 xchuyx122, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
    Wait, so if I bang my chick from behind and she gets prego, the kid wouldn't be as good as if I did it missionary?

Im screwed, im a sucker for doggy :(

O and to the original question, I think that the difference is, at a certain point, when the first man had that breakthrough and realized for the first time that he knew, she knew, it changed things. In other words, when man first went from treating women like an object, just to have sex with, to actually knowing that the female cares for him, it made him care for the woman, therein creating "love" for the 1st time, and it has become more defined as we as human beings have.

6. #6 sikander, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
    Love is the perfect way to segway from a casual sex relationship to a (hopefully) stable monogamous couple, which is also perfectly convenient for raising kids.

It has its evolutionary purpose. Some people find this depressing, which I think is interesting. Eating and sleeping serve evolutionary purposes yet they don't get depressed when they tuck into a delicious meal or wake up refreshed.