Several problems with seedlings

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Alliterative Alligator, May 4, 2016.

1. So I have 5 seedlings growing right now. The most mature has shiny spots on it. Idk if it could be spider mite eggs or thrip damage. And the other problem is that they all have red stems and one is getting red leaves (on bottom) as well. Last grow they all died of what looked exactly like phosphorus deficiency but they were only 2 weeks old which was weird. [​IMG]

2. Whats the temps in your room at night? cold temps will make leaves turn darker. Your pic is pretty blurry so I cant really tell what those spots are but mites/eggs will be on the undersides of the leaves and thrip damage looks like lines on the surface of the leaves, not dots.

3. The temps ARE a problem. Ambient temps 65°F min at night. The lights (cfl) are within 3 inches though, Ill get a thermometer and keep an eye on them. I was using my phone so it was tough to get a good pic, Ill take another. Thank you for responding.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Those are bulbous trichomes.

As far as that color... How often are you watering?

"The world is in your hands,
    Mine are in the dirt."

5. 65 aint that cold at all, our ladies in the greenhous probably see 54 degrees or even cooler at night.

I've also seen the stomata on the leaf surface open and looked like those dots in your pic, its just blurry so its hard to tell.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oh ok. Heres another pic. Its not as blurry, just pixilated

7. Yeah for sure. Just had a similar seedling a couple months back, and took a picture with a 15 X professional macro-photography lens and it prompted me to do research and what do ya know, trichomes. Lol. Never knew they generated multiple types of trichs. Pretty cool.

Mine are in the dirt."

8. And whatever those dots are shouldn't be your focus here, your plant seems as yellow as a banana.

Again, how often you watering? What's your medium? This is more than likely a down-under issue.

Mine are in the dirt."

9. I guess I wont upload the other pic then, I didnt know they had trichs this early. I water when the soil is fairly dry for a few inches. Only once so far. About the red stems, is it possible that the mother had a phosphorus deficiency and the seeds dont have enough stored? The last time I grew, they slowly got what looked like a phosphorus deficiency and died at only 2 weeks.

10. Well I mean you can still upload a pic, just looks like it didn't work. Me either man, quite crazy.

I'm not sure you can be definitive of what you have is a phosphorous deficiency. The plant usually stores everything it needs and I've never seen a deficiency that young (not saying it isn't possible). I don't think the mother having deficiencies will pass them on to the next generation like that.. Maybe if the mother was sensitive to certain pH that could certainly be passed, but I don't think a direct deficiency.

Mine are in the dirt."

11. [​IMG] Thanks for the info. Maybe I was overwatering. Any tips on drainage? Im using MG garden soil...Also sorry for the shitty pic, I have shaky hands.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I usually go by weight of the container. Hmmm... I like to avoid MG altogether but mixing in some perlite next time or when you transplant. It helps with drainage and aeration, and cannabis loves that.

Mine are in the dirt."

13. Ok awesome. Yeah Ik MG is trash but I had plenty of it. I'll definitely get some perilite and foxfarms.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. If you get some fox farm soil, like ocean forest, I usually cut it with perlite 1:2 or 1:1 perlite:soil ratio. You could probably do this with the MG as well.

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeah I would stay away from anything Miracle Gro, Look into coots mix and build you some dank soil that will only require water, the easiest thing for a beginner to do IMO.

Not sure what to say about those dots, still hard to see from your pic.

I wouldnt buy soil and cut it with perlite, theres plenty of perlite already in them and you'll only be taking away from whatever nutrition is available to the plant.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #17 CarterCannabis, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    If one were buying fox farm ocean forest, you'll learn quick it can be hot and very compact, I'm sure you're familiar. Perlite is not only recommended, but most consider it a MUST.

Mine are in the dirt."

17. (Link didn't work. Search up fox farm ocean forest in Amazon and look for the 1.5 cubic ft.)
    It's heavily nuted with bat guano and earthworm castings among other things, like pH neutralizers from crushed oyster shells. you won't need to feed for a month or so, even after cutting with perlite.

Check out this genetically mutated little booger I had, generating trichomes, seemingly like yours is.

[​IMG]

Cannabis is a wonderous plant, lol.

There's many routes you can take with many opinions. Some harder at first and easier in the long run, and some easier and first and more difficult later. It's all about working out your own style and it will come in due time. This is just one method, my preferred right now, but I'll switch things up as I had always done in the past.

Good luck!

Mine are in the dirt."

• Like Like x 1
  18. Couple things... Red stems are often genetic. Some plants have them, some don't. 65 at night as was said isn't that cold. I'd be careful w CFL only 3" away as you said.. Can get pretty hot right at the plant. Make sure you have a fan blowing on them.

Plant looks nitrogen deficient, but I think it's probably not due to lack of nitrogen as a small plant contains all it needs in the cotyledons and especially if you're using MG soil, so I think it's due to nute lock out. Be very careful w your PH...

Personally, hydro IMHO is so much easier. No question as to pH, whether it needs water or not, nutrient concentration, etc. But I digress! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

19. God I hope they dont have nute lockout already. Ive grown 6 massive plants in the same soil so the nutes shouldn't be at too high of a concentration. What should I look out for in the following days? More yellowing? And yes, I have fan blowing on them whenever the lights are on.