Setup HPS. What do I need beyond what I have

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by vaultassault, Dec 19, 2011.

1. I managed to salvage a nice 250/400 watt ballast and a 400 watt HPS bulb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So my question is how can I cheaply get this setup to work in my closet. I know I need a reflector and some cooling system but don't know where to start looking

2. #2 qualitypotlover, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
    400 hps in a closet will possibly need an air cooled hood,extractor fan,circulating fan and a temp/humidity reader. not sure if i missd anything out lol

you can get a good deal on these things on ebay if u have a good search.

what strains u guna rain? im just starting a perpertual harvest at the moment i have blue widow half way through flower and planting vanilla kush and exodus cheese to replace BW when shes done :)

3. Woah, What do you think that will all run me if you have any idea?

Im not sure what I want to grow with this light. I am currently growing bag seed under a few florescent fixtures and its doing well.
    [​IMG]
    That was taken about two weeks ago. I was happy where it turned out for the lighting I had but when I found this HPS I decided it was worth snatching and trying to make something better.

Next time I do want to get a feminized seed so I know the strain and know its going to be a lady :smoke:

4. depending what bargains you find, £150 give or take maybe but thats just a rough guess lol

whats the dimension of ur closet got a pic? you'll ned a good extractor for that light also upping the bill slighly! Hps without a doubt grows much better weed than cfl's

5. Hmm Looks like an investment. Guess Ill slowly work my way up. Thanks for the input. HPS seems so worth it but than you realize you still a poor college student XD

As for the size its about 6 feel long, 3 feet wide and 7 feet tall. I tried to take a picture of the whole thing but it did not fit..

The TV box is where Im keeping my babe now

Attached Files:

6. Yeah man with an hps comes investment of $. Lots of people think you can grow on a budget. You can, but the more you put into it on the front end, the more you get at harvest. Hps is def the way to go, however it takes practice keeping your grow at the optimum level.

7. I feel ya. Good things always take time. I think I will finish this grow and start the next one next year with the florescents and hope by the time it is switched to flowering Ill have enough time to save up and get all that I need.

Thanks for the help. Im just glad that I saved around 100 for the ballast :)

8. With a 3*6*7 you should easily be able to run that 400 with descent ventilation. How far into your grow are you? Maybe look in the DIY section for a how-to cool tube. I think I saw one in there. All you need is the tube, and a fan.

9. This would give me something to this week. Ill have a look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. That's what we are here for. Any other questions, just chime in.

11. I have a 400w In my closet.
    I just thru in a portable ac that exhaust out the house thru the floor (drainage too) and another 6" passive intake on the other side of closet thru the floor also.

The only thing is I hear when the AC kicks it. If you want it to be stealth I'd get some dynamat or some sound reducer and a vibration reducer for it to sit on.

Take a look at my grow for a visual idea. Link is in sig.

Thanks,
    hope you get the help you're looking for.

I don't use a air cooled hood. And you really dont even need a hood if you can get a vertical grow going.

12. we have similar size closet. and the same idea. no a/c in closet, no cooling tubes or extractor fans...just an HPS light, a box fan and about 10 gallons of water every 2 or 3 days lol link for current grow in sig.