Setting up the Space

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MrSpliffy, Nov 20, 2011.

1. #21 lics2grow, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
    same question i intended to ask .IF YA DONT MIND:confused::DDRO. pics tell alot you gotta put some up..@mrSpliffy...

2. I did happen to get a duct fan speed adjuster. I orginally was going to make my space ( 2 x 4s and all that jazz), but by the time I ended up buying a tent I already had my 6"450cfm fan. I was debating earlier whether I should down it to a 4" 230cfm fan. But I figured the 6" would do fine with an adjuster.

I intend to attach another tent, one that I intend to make. I already have most of the supplies so I figured fuck it.

I don't have a camera at the moment, but as soon as I get one. . .
    Shitty phone. . .

3. I have an air-cooled tube, so I need the fan on whenever the light is on. . . Could crack the glass.

4. I am at times a complete dork. My favorite song to play them is Dancing queen by Abba. yea you heard me. I make up my own words and sing to my girls....

"...you are the growing queens.....young and green only seven weeks......"

I play a wide mix. My criteria for music is that it is a) happy music or the artist singing was happy at the time they recorded it. This is a judgement thing I guess. I also have had different friends make what they think the girls would like. One chick loves french music so there is one cd that has french tunes I dont understand. That same CD has some dance tunes, some bob marley.

I find myself singing along while I work in the room, so its good for me too. Does it help? Who knows? I know plants feel vibrations...and music vibrates the air, so I think it is all good.

I am contemplating what to give them to hear for the last few weeks. I want to do a Pink Floyd mix, but the consesnous is PF can be dark and moody. thoughts?

5. Hey everybody.

I just got up to check the tent, I managed to set most of the room up. I ended up making a box for my fan to sit in because it was too heavy to hang, (got it in cardboard).
    Well I just wanted to run it last night to get a feel for it.

I checked the temps, highest was at 106F but when I opened the tent it was still 99F!
    I need to drop about 15F - 20F degrees!?!
    So what do I do, what should I do?

6. You have to drop the temp however you can. Bugs will be the biggest issue to worry about, but also stomata close around 85 so the plants wont be able to breathe.

I ran into this issue last summer. I installed a wall AC, made ducting out of cardboard and started pumping cold air into the tent. I ran my air cool 1000w such that it drew air from outside the tent, pulled it across the hottest bulb and exhausted it out the roof. In this way I was able to keep my temp below 80. I also ran the lights at night when it was the coolest. The bitch? During the day, while the girl were in their dark cycle, I STILL had to run the AC. This made for a $500-800 a month electric bill.

WTF do you live? Austraila??? Its winter and should be cold most everywhere now.

Right now it is averaging 34 degrees. I took the bulb out of the air cool and it is hanging commando in the tent. :eek: The temp still gets to 78, then a thermal switch activates exhaust.

The key to tents: you must control the room temp to control the tent temp.

I feel for you man.

7. also playing ABBA can lower the temp too. :)

8. HaHa no, that sounds pretty sweet though. . . It's freezing, actually snowing outside.

Well, last night I just laid the ducting on top of the tent. . So the hot air blew right back into the room which was drawn right back into the tent.
    I'm thinking if I string it up to the attic, I'll fix it. . .

I don't have an available source of cool air. I have 2 tents in a 6' x 5' x 8' enclosed room.
    I'd have to put another hole in the wall. . . I can't put an a/c up. . .

Damn it. .

9. Ah ok. Maybe I can help.

I cut a hole in my ceiling and ducted to there. Expelled the air to the roof vents. Cut the hole in one piece. To repair, just insert the cut hole, use drywall tape and spackle over it, then paint. Wont leak air and repairs back to like new.

For a grow I did, we made a box covering the window area, such that if you looked in the window, you only saw dark (shades over the windows and poly film behind that). I left the windows open. In the wooden box we made, cut holes to draw air in and directed another one to go out the other window. It drew in ice cold air and expelled heat. Only prob was the smell of the outgoing air. Good thing my neighbors were cool.

Do what you have to to get the temp below 80. It is critically important. Also bugs stop moving at 65 degrees, a fact I verified via microscopic examination.

Hotter than hell is only good at a KISS concert.

Attached Files:

10. #30 MrSpliffy, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
    Yeah I thought of making a window box. . . I'd rather not, I'd be sacrificing my bathroom window. . . It does sound useful though. . . Maybe I can rig up something to where I can use the cool air and still have my window.

65 sounds crazy compared to what I had it at. . . I'm not sure if I'll have a bug problem.
    I cleaned the entire room; the only things in the room are all necessary.
    I'm not drawing in air from outside at the moment either. . . Maybe the soil? FFOF.

I'm going to put that up now and run it for awhile, see what happens. I might need to leave the door cracked. . . I need to fill these pots in the mean time.

Thanks for the help. . .

11. Hey everybody. . . Another question here.

I was looking in tent and realized that it might be a bit difficult to water/feed the plants, due to the lack of space.
    So, I figured I'd make some sort of irrigation system, maybe with a reservior?

I just can't picture what I fully need to do it. . . Could someone explain to me how I could do this, maybe a pic. tutorial? Or leave a link, It'd be grateful. . .

The tent is 3' x 3', I'd need 9 - 16 fittings. And to figure out how much water I need to have ready for each watering/feeding. . . Oh joy. . .

12. I just made my own self watering system for under $100.
    power head pump (used in aquariums)
    rainbird octogon heads
    1/4" tubing
    100-200 feet of soaker hose
    20-40 gallon container (rubbermaid)

I'll take some pics tomorrow. It wasnt hard to put together. I cut the tubing to size so it fit like a glove, custom for my tent. I water 6 25gal pots and 1 100 gallon. 5 minutes does about 6 to 8 gallons. I have a digital timer to vary watering at different times on different days.

13. That would be awesome, sounds exactly like what I need. . .

Another thing I was thinking about was the mixed solution. . .
    Should I just have pure water in the res. or can I make a mixture of all the nutes and let it sit? To have it ready. . .

14. I clean my tub once a week. Make sure you have a sponge or screen for the powerhead otherwise crap gets stuck in the octagon head. Nutes should be good for a week. Most hydro change every 2 weeks. Mine I make about 20 gallons and it last 2-3 days.

Here are the pics.

Attached Files:

15. Ok, cool thanks man.
    That's spot on.

I have 5 3gal & 5 2gal. all soil.
    I don't have any past experience to base a guess on how much water I'll run through in a week. . .

Well thanks again, this looks like my solution. . . I guess I'll be heading to Lowe's or
    Walmart next payday. . . Walmart would probably be cheaper, but I like Lowe's.

I'll be starting a journal here soon, when I get these damn parts to my camera.
    I'll leave a link when I do. . .

16. Lowes would be the best. I had to find fittings on different aisles. I took the pump in and grabbed an old dude to help. Told him I wanted to make s system for my patio plants ;-)

Be sure to use circles of soaker hose so each ring is an inch or so from each other. You want to water those pots well. The dripping action also aerates the water (bonus). You may also bury the hoses and they will still leak out water.

Don't guess on your water.

Feel the pot method: pick up a dry pot or if you find a girl wilted cuz not enuf water. Thats dry. Saturate a pot until the water leaks out, then let it drain for 10 minutes. Thats full!. I knew a guy who had a usps postal scale and he weighed them to get the right water. 1 gal water=8lbs.

Finger method: Stick your finger in. In small pots if it is dry an inch or two down....water. IF the top is wet to the touch, do not.

Try not to get hung up on maxing out your yield. On first grows just pulling in a smokable crop is success. If you learn something on a bad grow, you will be a better farmer for it. I have f-uped a few in my day. My current girls are all benefiting from the past. It is my hope you can gain some insight here from mine too.

17. Lowes it is.

Ok, I'll probably just go with thee ole finger method untill I buy a thirsty light. . .

Right right. . . Well I've took a couple cracks at it before, I've never actually made it to harvest though...
    Hopefully this will be it, fingers-crossed

18. Any updates Mr. Spliffy???

It is a great day when you get your first crop that is smokable! I can tell you it is not easy to grow killer herb (generally speaking). It if often filled with events that can destroy it all. Bugs, mold, cold, electric failure....or pissing your gf off and then finding out she poured a gallon of Clorox in your resivoir which killed everything in 20 minutes (true story).

It is worth it. Each time you learn and improve. And some day, when you are old(er) and have some grows under your belt, it will be an elated experience!

I am love with my latest girls....Caramelo. Super purp, super sweet and super medicating.

Take a look at this pic and know at one point, I was the "expert" on a grow 15 yrs ago. 12 plants, zero ounces. We didnt know back then florescent wouldnt be enuf light. Spent $$$ and got nothing.

It gets easier. Its worth it. I swear I have stared in amazement at the growing crystals far more than I would admit in public. :D

Attached Files: