Setting up my grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by curtis026, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Hi everyone. I often browse these forums, but don't post to much due to the fact I really dont have a whole lot of experience. Ive had two outdoor grows with mediocre success. Now id like to start an indoor grow at my new home where I can keep constant attention on them. I have a picture attached of the space id like to use. It is a crawl space above my porch that is easily accessable. The only problem is from the floor to the first 2x4 in the picture is only roughly 3 feet or so. Will this be a problem or can I get around that by LST'ing my plants. Im mainly worried about the heat from the bulbs being so close to bare wood and that insulation. I can take the insulation out if necessary as my upstairs is a hotbox anyways and it really isnt going to hurt anything in the long run. What do you guys think? Im going to try using CFL's to start. I have a limited spending limit here but i think i will be ok. I was also thinking of cutting a hole in the back wall there and putting in one of those loveur looking vents so on the outside it would not look out of place. Id just have to cut around the siding on the exterior. I know its not big, but ive seen way smaller spaces on here with great results. I just want to have about 2-3 plants going at once and maybe somehow cut the room in half or something and make a clone room. I dont want to get a ton of heat in there though for fire reasons. Hopefully some sort of fan or exhaust system will work for this. What kind of seeds do you guys recommend for this type of growing environment. Something like a lowryder or can i get away with growing something else with the LST method. Its a perfect space it already has power in there and a look socket. I just need to somehow tap into the wire and put an outlet in there and im set. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. Im not even sure how many bulbs and watts it will take for 2 to 3 plants to grow at their best. Just wondering what everyone else was growing these days. I had to best luck with Sensi Star outdoors, but its pretty expensive these days. Im probably looking to go the feminised route. Thank you for your help its greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Anyone have anything for me here? I guess my main question is how many CFL's do you think it will take for 2-3 plants flowering and the same in the veg on the other side. Can I use a bunch of 23 watters or should I go for a couple of the bigger ones ie. 42 or 65 watts or even higher? Home depot has a package of like 8 or 10 23 watt bulbs for a good price. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advise for me on this. Any input would be highly valuable to me. Thanks again

3. 100w for your first plant and 50w for any additional plants so for 3 plants your looking at 200w total. doesn't matter about wattage of bulbs but bigger the watts the less you will need to use. find some Y adapters to add more lights to the same plug-in.

for vegging you need to find 6500kelvin bulbs and 2700kelvin for flowering. i dont matter if you end up with 6000kelvin instead of 6500kelvin. 500kelvin wont make much of a difference..

as for your room. HEAT is you main concern. might need an A/C if you up grade to an HID. otherwise use b/w poly or panda film(same thing) and staple it to your beams to make a roof and wall for your room....

4. Ive changed my mind and decided to go with a 400 watt hid system. I think im just going to take out most of that insulation as it really isnt going to serve much of a purpose in there besides causing a fire. Also do you think the black and white poly is better than mylar? It appears in the picture to be thicker than the mylar and from what the info says it seems to be better. Im going to get that and make a smaller space and have a 4 inch inline exhaust with a charcoal filter just blowing into the room. That should be enough so you cant smell it in the rest of the house right? Otherwise I will put an outside vent in there and have it blowing directly outside. Ive ordered some Easy Ryder (AK47 x Lowryder 2) and i think that hopefully these will be the perfect beans for this operation. Might still have to lst them but we will see when the time comes. Thanks for the help.

5. #5 unclejoe, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
    you are going to have heast issues in the summer and cold temps in the winter:cool:

also I dont see any 110 outlets ..what size fan ya runnin, is this soil, i would make some kkind of tray for run off othersiwse that patio is have a wet roof..

how ya gona move the light up and down , access to back plants

HTH