Setting up grow box, need some help please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MilkyRips, Jun 17, 2010.

1. so im setting up my first grow box, using a guitar hero world tour box. i know its cardboard, but it seems very sturdy and im not going to be hanging lights from the top so theres no risk of it collapsing. its about 2 feet 4.75 in tall but im going to be doing an LST grow anyway. i attatched some pics of the box and the lamps i was hoping to use with the CFLs I bought. i have some questions though:

1. I spray painted the inside of the box white yesterday (except for the bottom where the plants will be on top of) and left it outside overnight to dry completely, even though the spray cans said it only needed 1/2 hour to dry. When i touch the sides, I sometimes get a white kind of dust on my finger, I know its the paint but is this "dust" a problem? Like will any chemicals in the paint or this "dust" be bad for my plant to be around?

2. (About the black lamp) It has a smaller bulb in it, but says it supports "Lamp Type A", does that mean it will support a CFL? I have a pic of the bulb next to an incandescent for comparison.

3. (About the last white lamp) I found the last lamp in my basement with an incandescent bulb in it and it says it supports "Type A Bulbs" so its good to use with a CFL, right? Also, it says it supports up to 60w and I'm putting a 26w (actual wattage) CFL in it so its fine as far as wattage goes

4. (About the tupperware) Can I use this as a permanent pot (like for the whole time of the grow)? I would poke drainage holes in the bottom with nails, and put a tray under it and everything. It is just shy of 6 inches tall, and I read that your pot needs to be at least 6 inches tall.

Thanks a lot if you made it through this lengthy post, I just want to get started growing asap, and I really appreciate the help.

Attached Files:

2. I know nothing about US fittings, but i would happy using that equipment in my country.

Just give the box a brush down to get rid of the dust. The tupperware will need painting a dark colour on the outside... roots dont like light.

That is gonna be one small micro grow. Good luck to you as I am interested in how these things turn out.

Fat E

3. I wouldn't let flakes of spray paint fall on my mj, but that's a personal choice. I'd just line it with mylar... go to the dollar store or something.

I think you'll need more light? I'd get a couple of 3 way adapters and 4 or 6 26w cfls depending on your budget. You can use cfls in those lamps, but I don't think 2 will be enough.

I don't think you'll have enough room in there to LST more than one plant, it would be a clusterfuck. I would use a bigger pot and top the shit out of it, tying down the branches.

I have no experience with this type of grow, but I've seen some incredible shit come out of small boxes like that. Check this out.

ps: add a computer fan to the box

4. thanks for the feedback. and yeah i have a pc fan im going to add. and id love to just grow one plant but i feel like i need to grow 2 because im using bagseeds and i dont want to have one plant that could end up being male, so i was really only wanting to grow 2 so that my odds are a little better