Setting up for next spring...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by I3luesheep, Aug 27, 2009.

1. #1 I3luesheep, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
    I currently have a GREAT spot. Its a big hill in the middle of the woods that looks like someone cleared when developing the subdivision to put a lot of dirt. I have 12 plants out there this year, but I put em' out too late. So next year I wanna do it right. I am planning on making this spot perfect, whatever it takes. I want to use plant bags and bury them in the ground cause the soil there flat out sucks... for MJ anyway. I also want to set up an irrigation system of some sort... I was thinking maybe using glass bulbs that drain water into the ground as the plant needs. Anyone ever use them? and How well do they work? I currently drag 5 gallon jugs back to water them and I must say, its a pain in the ass to carry through the dense woods. Now the clearing I found using google earth so I know for a fact it can be seen from the air. MJ is not legal in my state so I'm a little worried about planes and choppers. So what I want to know is should I set it up this year? and any suggestions? :confused:

here is a few pics from what I have going on this year
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. They look decent and should give you something in the end. D=You can hold off on the setting up plan as this tuime of year is "hot" (cops, rippers...) so you want to stay low. Starting late with several plants isn't too good also because one early plant can yield many times more than several small ones (legal issues). Good luck and good hiking for scouting.

3. Im really not worried about anyone seeing me... just worried about planes seeing it. Its really the primo spot. but thanks for the advise on the early starting... this year i just didnt get around to it till late. any ideas on irrigation?

4. Ah ok. When you said "should I set it up this year" I though "it" referred to the plot for next year. Don't bother with the canal digging this year imo plus it'll be even more visible from the air and ground. I don't know what are the water bulbs but why not add them to reduce trips (a dripping system from the top planted in the soil I suppose?). I'd also add a 3-4" of mulch to keep the water more. It'll also help the plant for temperature changes. You can also "top dress" them (some are a little pale) (under the mulch) with, per plant and all mixed, tilled in first inch of soil but not touching the stem: 1/2 gallon composted manure, 1 TBS 3-7-7 general dry fert, 1/2 TBS soft rock phosphate, 1 TBS kelp, 1 TBS coffee grounds. None of these will attract animals. They'll be effective after about 1 month if you get some rain or wqter well. They'll work better if your grow is organic. Laterzzz!

5. Thanks for the advise, ill keep it all in mind for when the time comes :)

6. Well what can I do now to set up the place(s) for next years grow?
    5150 said somthing about newspaper to kill the growth.
    What else is there to do. Just to get it out of the way early.
    ex. till-up the dirt, mix in better soil, or something.

7. I would not kill the growth around the area... make it look monogamous. but as far as dirt theres many ways you can do it... you can till up the dirt this year but it wont really matter. youll just have to do it again after winter. and wait to put better soil in. dont want to lose out on possible nutrients the plant would like to use :smoke:

8. oh and another thing... when you do want to till up the dirt the spongyer the better... meaning the more air in the soil the better, MJ roots love to breath.

9. hey there sheep, those glass water blubs work for a few dry days when they are small but a big plant can easily use that in a july afternoon wal mart sometimes has watering spikes for sale(i hear yet to find them) they thread on a 3/4 of a inch fitting which happens to be the same as a 2l pop bottle adaptor may be needed but i dont trust any of that stuff for too long
    so those 5 gallon jugs need to camo painted first eaily to see from the sky now
    -get the jugs higher than your plants 6 inchs is perfect try to stay with 15 feet or ur garden
    -seal the top of the jug melt a tiny hole (depending on size pipe u use) in the side of your jug that faces your garde n, u need to get u a hole to fill em with i would recommend several large holes in the top so rain water will collect to, you need those out of the sun or the nutrient will be no good as well as evapourate ur water quicker cover them with filter cloths or dig them into the side of a nearaby mound of dirt
    -recommend to use 3/4 pvc(camo it too) out of your jug about a quarter to half the way to your garden they come in 20 foot lengths normaly use your 6 inch drop to asure that u have flow,
    -at the end of your pvc have a pvc ball valve you only need to assemble the ball vave with pvc primer and glue so it dosn't just leak out there, and dont worry they use it for drinking water
    -you need to now use a different type of pipe poly pipe its more flexible and easy to camo/work with since its just a dripper you dont need to use clamps
    - use 3/4 poly pipe from your ball valve to a system of T fittings( pvc 3/4 tees) to run pipe to all your plants about 5 inchs from ur stalks
    - try to stay straight and not to do any sharp 90's i wound'nt use more than a foot of poly after the row of t's
    - when jug is full be sure to test ur ball valve untill the drip is just right out of all of them, this is why its importand to try and use same amount of pipe to all of them
    - each jug should do about 3-4 big plants for at least a half really dry season at most more plants is more jugs
    - this method is bascalllly a rain barrel idea gone suped up

10. the poly pipe he is talking about is also known as PEX, weirsbo, you can get that at a lowes or home depot. I noticed yesterday that lowes has something simular to the glass balls it is a spike with a two liter bottle it should help with dry periods....hope this helps

11. Thanks a lot dude... sounds relatively cheep and i could build this shit myself. lol. ill get started on that and when its finished ill get picks up. And thanks again.

12. no problem man hope you nail it and have a great time, if u end up getting to much water on a wet year you may have to install weeping tile(socked ) in the ground away from your garden it works great if u can fill the trench with stone too same principals of having a slow drop on the weepping tile away to ur drain puddle i always try to incorporate this too in case of a wet year dont want them floating away

13. By laying newspapers down you are doing a lot of good things. With the news papers you can work the soil this year with compost or whatever. Lay the newspapers over the spot and let it cook. If you left it open the rain would wash all your work away.

Also when you come back the next year you can move the paper and have a clean spot to start with. The paper will kill all the roots that were growing there and compost them for you. The hole will be soft and ready to dig with ease. Do you want to carry a pick axe and full size shovel to your plot? Or do you want to do it all with a folding shovel?

Laying newspapers is one of the best things you could do next to making a compost heep right whee you want to plant your plant next year. Always cover you papers with brush and grass. It is easy to hide.

Compost heep. Till the soil and lay leafs and whatever greens you can find. Make it about 3 feet heep. Come back next year and move the heep to bare soil. Till and your goodies to the soil and plant.

Laying newspapers would be the same thing as home garndeners do when they lay black plastic over the garden for the winter. They till the garden in the fall cover for the winter to richen there soil and cut out the weeds. Rain water will wash your nutes away.

That being said it best to get a PH reading and have the soil tested before you do anything.

14. thank 5150... ill do that right after i get this years harvest out of the gound... oh and pics up soon of the whole spot and some flowering plants.... one of my plants grew some good ol' balls, tore that bitch out tuesday.